100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

ku4qb

Jun 7, 2009
Moore County, NC
Thanks Tom and Silverbear for the replies,
The "injector" version was all the shop had. I think it may still be usable though. From the label and their website (such as it is), it looks like it is the same oil but thinned down for use in oil injected engines. That would explain why the quart bottle was only $7.95. Mixing it like ordinary 2 stroke oil will probably give the same gas/oil ratio that they recommend when using the straight Opti-2 (whatever that might be) ;-} Does that make any sense?
Regs! Bill KU4QB

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
The 100:1 opti-2 seems to run very similarly (well) in all-round performance & perhaps slightly better at low revs... my mixture has been showing perfect plug colour ... maybe just a little too perfect, ie the clean colour made me nervous that a tad richer on the mixture might be safer in the long run ... so the slightly smoother low-rpm torque feel that i got as an initial impression may well be a result of the slight mixture richening that a 100:1 oil ratio gives.

And the exhaust smells pretty good with incense/pharmaceutical notes and none of the old blue smoke, more of a slight mist that disperses to transparency very easily.

Seems great so far but but i can't recommend the stuff on the basis of a mere half hour run of course.
But I will be continuing the trial @100:1, there are simply no signs or symptoms to make me want to back out at this stage. Good so far.

That was my first impression; I've now burned a couple of litres or so of 100:1 Opti-2 - say 50 miles worth.

Very good results. This is a clean, clean burning mixture that helps the engine fire nice and crisply. Whip the head off and the oily/waxy feel of the cylinder wall gives confidence of lubrication-with-a-margin-of-strength-in-reserve.

100:1 Opti-2 .... I hate coming here like I want to plug a product, but what is absolutely wonderful about this stuff is the lack of smoke. It's all kinds of explicitly wonderful, what a lack of smoke does for the humble 2-stroker.

2-Smoker no more. That inescapable blue acrid unpleasant smoke that bespeaks all kinds of dirty combustion is gone. The STIGMA of the 2-stroke. Take away the smoke ... what can I tell you? ... It's uncanny. <Smoke> <GONE> .....(gone!)..... It's like a whole new class of internal combustion engine just because of the low to zero smoke factor. Time to unlearn a lifetime's prejudice, for me at least.

So there it is. I can't help it, I love the stuff, I'm sold.

but if I do get any trouble I'll be right back here to report my results, of course, that's science innit.

zpt

............... . . . auflg

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
That inescapable blue acrid unpleasant smoke that bespeaks all kinds of dirty combustion is gone. The STIGMA of the 2-stroke. Take away the smoke ... what can I tell you? ... It's uncanny. <Smoke> <GONE> .....(gone!)..... It's like a whole new class of internal combustion engine just because of the low to zero smoke factor.
For the past few years I've been using cheapest Walmart Marine oil at 50:1 and there is zero smoke. Quite a contrast to some of the guys I did bikes for pulling into my yard with 32:1 or even 20:1. I can follow their trail for miles all the way back to where they live. :)

Let's not even mention those who follow the manuals 16:1. Which is for those in china where 2 stroke oils are rare so they use motor oil. Sometimes drained from their car.

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I'm on my second tank of Opti-2 at 100:1 mix. I had about 1600 miles on it when I switched. My motor is running stronger with more torque. It seems to be decarboning the piston top too. If anything at all it's running cooler than it use to. Big thumbs up for me.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I looked these guys up and gave them a call....Tons of great info....Here is there website....

Home

here is a video they have.....

Video

I talked to Brad Clark,he gave me tons of great info on this opti-2....Ask for him....

Tell him John-John from texas sent ya lol....

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
I think the 1:16 oil to gas mix is for the Chinese only as they only have engine oil, probably used too, to mix with their fuel. I know these things are not high tech BUT its still a 2 stroker with good compression so using any modern 2 stroke oil at recomended mix rates will be fine. I have done over 1000km's with the 1:100 Opti-2 and she is going great.

Steve

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm still using Opti-2 and unless something drastic and unforeseen happens I won't go back to regular 2 stroke oil. The cold weather has kept me inside and not doing as much riding as I'd like but it's given me time to pull heads and do a little inspection. Piston tops are clean, combustion chambers too. All my plugs are a dark gray, not tan or white, not oily or fouled. I know gray is an odd color and it's not a light gray, more of a battleship gray. If that makes sense. Nevertheless, my engines are running and performing better than they did prior to making the change to Opti-2. Like Restapukin said, I'll surely report here if there's any change. Opti also makes an oil for 4 strokers and I'm going to try it in my Titon. Dax is not convinced yet so he isn't thrilled with the idea but I'm curious to see if there's any noticible difference in a 4 stroke with Opti-4 instead of what is recommended.
Tom

Last edited:

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
um yes.... since starting with opti-2 at 100/1 i have not looked back, I'm still enjoying the stuff and experiencing no downside whatever.

Since September i've had to buy myself a new 2-stroke brushcutter/line trimmer, I broke this in on 100/1 opti-2 ... again excellent results

actually, clean, smoke free running is even more welcome with a brushcutter than with a bike, what with the motor sitting right on yer back

speaking of back

I'll certainly be back to report if anything unusual happens.

that's science, innit.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Thats very cool guys, i have seen anywhere form 24:1 to 100:1 plugs that all have a perfect burn or close to it, thats amazing how well these two strokes can burn!

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
So, let me get this straight. I have not started my bike yet, opening the box at christmas. What 2 stroke oil and at what ratio should I use for break-in? After how long should I switch to 100:1? And is it safe, seems like very little oil. Should I use opti -2 from the very first start? I need help with it, really want my engine to work right.
:-||

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So, let me get this straight. I have not started my bike yet, opening the box at christmas. What 2 stroke oil and at what ratio should I use for break-in? After how long should I switch to 100:1? And is it safe, seems like very little oil. Should I use opti -2 from the very first start? I need help with it, really want my engine to work right.
:-||
I can't tell you what you "should" do, but I can tell you what I do. I used to use Amsoil Sabre Professional whjich is very good stuff and switched over to Opti-2 which I like even better. I've run two new engines with it exclusively and with one ran from day one at 100-1 and the other ran a little richer at about 80-1 for no particular reason other than I wanted to see if there was a difference. I haven't noticed any. Use your own discretion with this. If you're more comfortable running a little richer to begin with, then it sure isn't going to hurt anything. Do not try this mix ratio with just any old 2 cycle oil, but follow the manufacturer's reccomendations. Opti-2 is special stuff and has it's own 'rules', you might say. As Mikey says, "Try it, you'll like it!"
SB