Howdy

GoldenMotor.com

Joe McPlumber

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
Hey,

Making my first foray into motorized bicycling, and came on this kit at bikemotorkit dot com.

Does anyone recognize the motor or the kit? There's just something about the website makes me uncomfortable, and it raises more questions than it answers.

It's a dandy looking rig, and it's certainly well-priced. But the price is another thing that sorta bothers me. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, and thanks for having me here,
- Joe

Joe McPlumber

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
$119 plus $40 shipping i wouldnt let that price bother you,thats around average for a engine kit,you can even get it cheaper.
I ain't been around too much yet. I thought it was way too cheap, is why i was suspicious.

Thanks for the link, that's what i was looking for was a "real" website. And it looks like almost the same kits.

Which rig did you get? Man i got so many questions. Like, in general, how do you operate these things? The website i referenced says you engage the motor by "releasing the clutch handle". Does that mean i need to keep the clutch handle in all the time or the motor will kick in? And how do i brake and work the clutch at the same time? Seems like if i only just braked, i'd stall my motor. But at 40MPH i think i'd want both my brakes at my disposal and not be worrying about the clutch.

And, has anyone used one of these sorts of kits on a 27" racing bike? My favorite bike is a hybrid, it's sorta a cross of a mountain bike on a 27" frame. That's the one i'd like to motorize.

-Joe

Joe McPlumber

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
No, seriously those are real questions. Anyone has a kit like the one described, (or, i'm looking at the "Black Stallion" at the link Cabinfever gave me), i'm interested to know some this practical stuff before i buy, and i'm not finding much info even at the sites that sell 'em.

Am i reading it wrong, and what you actually do is /pull/ the clutch lever to engage it and start the motor? What's meant by the split displacement e.g. 66cc/80cc? Which kit is most popular around here, and which vendor/website? And has anyone put a kit onto a 27" frame?

Thanks,
-joe

PS, right see this is what i don't want to do... .duh.

Last edited:

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I paid $103 for mine on ebay. Gonna buy one for $119 next (free shipping on ebay). Spend more if you want but mine is great. Theres a ton of companies from what I see.

Starting... You lock the clutch lever so it peddles easily. When you get moving you give it gas and release the clutch. This spins the motor and it starts up and off you go.

You will prefer a bike with wider tires for a smoother ride. You will be hitting bumps and irregularities at 4 times the speed and thus, 4 times as many bumps. Ride counts big time. A bumpy ride on a regular bike becomes a brain rattler on a motorized bike.

yes, you want both brakes. And you want them working well.

Stop worrying about it. Its really simple when you get started. Just order a kit. 6 hours after you get it you will be riding around the yard saying... "woopy!!! That was easy".

Go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search for "motorized bicycle". There some great videos that explain a lot and will get you really excited.

Now, go get that motor.

2 real popular ones...
49CC motorized BICYCLE ENGINE KITslant steel motor bike - eBay (item 150361746479 end time Aug-25-09 10:55:25 PDT)

LATEST JET SILVER 80CC BICYCLE MOTOR ENGINE KIT BIKE ! - eBay (item 380138202195 end time Aug-09-09 10:12:47 PDT)

Last edited: