Got To Quit Looking on Craigslist

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I swore I was not going to build another bike until next winter. I have four finished bikes out in the garage now and was just going to ride them. Then I look on craigslist and see this bike for $20. I went and looked at it and couldn't pass it up. Other than the rear wheel needing some work it is perfect. Has anyone ever seen one of these before? It is an Empire Brand, and of course it was made in China. Perfect for a Chinese Motor!
I see where the gas is going on this one. The top tank is all enclosed with what appears to be a very good looking Tig weld. I will take the bike all apart and make sure it is all closed off.
(Next Winter!)

John

Attachments

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Your gonna want that 36 tooth sprocket you just sold me. I'll take $50.00 for it. lol! Those pedals being up high is going to make it tuff. I'm sure you can figure something out. Thanks again John

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Your gonna want that 36 tooth sprocket you just sold me. I'll take $50.00 for it. lol! Those pedals being up high is going to make it tuff. I'm sure you can figure something out. Thanks again John
Jeff, I didn't really notice that until you mentioned it about where the crank is mounted. That will make it a little more of a challenge. It will definitely be built for a short person also. How comfortable is the 20 inch bike you built. This one seems way to small for me, I am 6 feet tall.
The only reason I bought it was the price, just couldn't pass it up for $20. I just put it down in the basement for now. Oh, I will have to remember when the time comes to pick up another 36 tooth sprocket. Talk to you later.

John

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
John,

I have one of the Jesse James bikes. I got it for Karen to learn how to ride on. It's small enough to not be intimidating.

This Jesse James frame is also set-up with the pedals on the inside of the front tube. I plan on simply putting the crank on the oppisite side of the tube. With the crank out front there will be plenty of room for the engine.

That is a really cool looking bike, and what a bargain!!!

Jim

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Use the wide cranks that come with the 4-stroke kits to offset the engine, so it can be mounted low to clear the pedal chain & rear tire!!!
Mini apes, springer seat & a skinny front tire!!! (^)

Last edited:

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
here is a picture of the mount I bought off ebay from barry. This probbably will not work for you, but it gives you an idea of what you may need.Its just a mount that resembles a conventional bike frame. As far as size goes, I've got a laidback seatpost and ape hanger style handle bars. That helps cause I'm 6'1. Its small but I really like it.

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Oh I see what you mean Jeff. I will just fabricate a plate for the bottom, then I can position the motor where I want it, and weld a couple short stubs to fit the engine radius. The laid back seat post will also help for my long legs. I have got to quit thinking about this stuff or I will start building it. I need to wait till next winter. That is when I have all the idle time. Long Cold Winters here!
I just need to be riding all the bikes I have out in the garage.

John

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
You might as well go ahead and get on it! Cause you will not sleep - until you do! Am I right? Can I get an AMEN? LOL! .rd.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
You might as well go ahead and get on it! Cause you will not sleep - until you do! Am I right? Can I get an AMEN? LOL! .rd.
You should have seen the "Look" I got from my wife when she saw I had bought "Another" bike.
She just doesn't get what a good deal it was to get a bike like that for $20.
I have to at least hold off until I get a couple of these sold. One is going to my son in Arizona. And I will sell the other one.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
John,
Here's the solution: Ship that bike to me and I'll... 'store it'... for you. That way you won't be tempted to mess with it...and I'll have something to do now that my Jag project is finished.
Neat bike. Not sure I could have passed up that price either. Good luck and keep us posted.
Tom

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
When I started this thread I said "I have got to quit looking on craigslist!" It has become a morning habit with my first cup of coffee. Then after finding the Empire bike for $20, I look on there today and see this for $50. I am going to try to explain to my wife that at my age it will be a lot closer to the ground if I fall off. Anyway I will have a couple bikes for sale if anyone is interested. I will post on the "swap" part of the forum.
Jim (Creative Eng.) I am joining the Schwinn O.C.C. club now. I will call for some pointers.

John

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
John, I Know What You Mean, Craigs List And Ebay, It`s Like An Illness. I`m 5 Ft 15 Inches, But I Bought 3 Of The Schwinn O C Choppers, They Are Cool. I Bought One Of The Little Look Alikes For 10 Bucks. There Was An O C Chopper In A Yard Sale The Other Day. I Had A Hard Time Keeping The Dam Truck From Stopping! Lol When You Are Done It Will Be A Happy Chopper. Ron