Pull start china doll?

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm using that same type pull start on mine with good results, the only thing I've noticed after it being on there for 6 months is that the pull rope should be upgraded or improved before installation, otherwise, it's a really nice add on. Pedal clearance may be an issue tho and you may need to put a double bend on your pedal crank on that side or get a wide crank kit, but I really like mine since the engine can be started without being on the bike and it starts on the first or second pull. You could also wax the rope to help it last a lot longer, I didn't do that on mine and it's starting to show signs of wear, but I do plan on replacing the pull rope on it real soon and will wax the new rope.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Frankly I'm shocked at Dave's review! He must have got something different than what I have seen....
Every single chinadoll pull start I have ever seen was a cheap, fragile chunk of garbage.
I would never even consider a pull start unless forced to by some build design detail like a jackshaft or freewheel.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've actually been really happy with mine, I do treat it like a CAG with the plastic starter pawl, those were notorious for breaking, but as long as you pulled it gently until you felt the resistance from the compressiion before giving it a quick sharp yank it was ok. i use the same method with this one and it's held up just fine. My static compression ratio os 12.7:1 using a 6cc Fred head and .052" milled off the deck of the jug.
A lot of it is the pulling method, if someone just grabs the T handle and gives it a yank, it won't last, but by gently pulling until you feel the compression resistance first, the parts don't get that "running start" that can damage them.
I also waited until the engine had about 3 or so hours run time on it before installing the pull start so I knew it would always start on the first or second pull, the only time it takes more than 2 pulls to start is if it's really cold out and hadn't been run in like a week or so...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
all the pull starters are not the same, I have three different ones, some of them are junk butt there are a couple that are built good and will hold up.

main thing many people don't understand is that a pull starter should be pulled through smoothly and not jerked real hard, yanking on a pull starter is a bad thing.

This is a good one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221663176836?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is an even better one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231447814266?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is not a good one, it has a plastic spool and a bad designed rachet system.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191158556324?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The reason I can attest to the quality of the pull starters I listed above is because I have all three of these, the last one is the one that has the plastic spool and a steel cable rather than being all china-lume and having a good pull rope.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Mine has a plastic spool and a regular pull rope but like I mentioned, I pull it gently by bringing the engine up to compression then a sharp pull to avoid messing up the pawls. It will need a new rope real soon and I like the idea of the paracord. I'll also inspect it when its rope change time and replace it with one of the better ones if I see any other signs of accelerated wear.
I really like having a way to start the engine other than bump starting especially when working on the bike or on cold mornings when I prefer to let it warm up a few minutes before going WOT for a mile down to my favorite taco hut and back. The engine just behaves a lot better than when I just fire it up and go.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Mine has a plastic spool and a regular pull rope but like I mentioned, I pull it gently by bringing the engine up to compression then a sharp pull to avoid messing up the pawls. It will need a new rope real soon and I like the idea of the paracord. I'll also inspect it when its rope change time and replace it with one of the better ones if I see any other signs of accelerated wear.
I really like having a way to start the engine other than bump starting especially when working on the bike or on cold mornings when I prefer to let it warm up a few minutes before going WOT for a mile down to my favorite taco hut and back. The engine just behaves a lot better than when I just fire it up and go.
You hit the nail on the head, they should be pulled and not jerked, I'm gonna have pull start on my next bike build also, bump starting is hard on the drive train and the clutch pucks, I run small driven sprockets on my bikes and that make bump starting a bit harder also.

I had one on my first build and liked it, I finally took it off because it wasn't one of the better ones and it gave me some trouble, but now that I have a better one to use, I plan to use it.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Well geezzzzzzzzzz the one I ordered looks light the last one. Most likely the
same one Dave has. Oh well I will treat it as such & see. $17 won't kill me if
it does not holed up.

Fly

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
So far mine is holding up pretty well except that it's gonna need a new pull rope pretty soon, the rope they use is really cheap and replacing it with a quality rope or paracord will help it last a lot better too.
If I knew whicj sellers had the good ones I'd just replace the whole thing, but this one is working for me just fine by taking it easy on it.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Well the one I purchased from Amazon came today.No plastic &
even has a steel cable pull start. Looks like they must have up graded
these. I have not installed yet, so we shall see?

Flyusflg

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Sounds good... I got the one with the plastic spool and it's holding up but the all metal ones are way better from what I've heard... Sounds like my next one will be coming from Amazon...