what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A really cool thing about a MC (motorcycle) helmet over a bicycle helmet is it suggests that you are going faster then a regular bicycle. No kidding, there is a noticeable difference in the way cars and trucks drive near you.

Way safer.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yesterday I pulled the straight plug head off an older engine I put on the 1963 Western Flyer bike, I put a slant plug head I had shaved all the raised sealing ring off of on it and took it for an 8 mile round trip ride, cruises 36.5 GPS' d MPH and hit a top speed of 40.2MPH on a slight decline, carb is running rich and causing it to 4 Stroke at WOT I stuck an RT on it that was tuned for a modified engine but will be tuning an NT carb up for it when I have a chance, this bike has 24" wheels and Im running a 30T rear sprocket, ordered the sprocket from SBP and then drilled it for the rag joint/ stock coupler set up using an old stock 44T as a template for drilling the holes, works like a champ... and a great sprocket for only $7 and a little time drilling the holes, wish I could find a 28T to do this to......I think it would be excellent on the 24" wheels, with the 30T it still pulls my 210lbs right up the hills around here without ever needing to pedal.

Map
dnut

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thanks greg I ordered them and wont ride til they arrive.

Is there a way to know if a helmet on ebay is DOT approved or if the seller is just saying that? I found a nice looking chrome german style half helmet that looks cool and is fairly priced at about $40 shipped. I really dont think the standard walmart bike helmet is safe at road speeds and I want to at least get my kids out of diapers and eating solid food before im wearing them and eating from a tube.

A $40 helmet is most likely a novelty helmet. Good for looks, not protection.
Hopefully the seller will include a photo of the certification tag otherwise you have to take their word on it.
Every DOT helmet has either a tag stitched into the lining or a sticker affixed to the inner shell stating it's rating. Some even have both.
Never rely on a simple "DOT" sticker on the back of the helmet. In fact modern helmets can no longer use this simple sticker. Any external markings need to be applied before the factory shoots the final clear coat, thus sealing the marking. This does not apply to older helmets that were made before the new law regarding external marking. That said, "they" recommend replacing a helmet every 5 years and destroying the old one. I personally do not subscribe to that recommendation.

Google "FMVSS 218" fore more info

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Took her on a test ride with no helmet, brakes, or shoes....
I have learned my lesson and she will be locked safely away in the garage until I put brakes on it and buy a helmet.
There's a name for folks like you, they're called Organ Donors. Seriously, a $40.00 Walmart Bicycle helmet is better than nothing. A true DOT motorcycle helmet is prefered, but most motorized bicycles won't hit 60 MPH, so a bicycle helmet could suffice.

I made a deal with my wife, if I was gonna get/build a motorbike, I HAD to wear a helmet. "I'd rather visit you in the hospital than identify you in a morgue," she said. Makes sense too when put that way.

And no brakes? The most important device on any motorized vehicle are the brakes. I'm willing to bet real money that you know better than that. Shame on you. On the other hand, the fact that you not only survived but also shared this tale of woe serves as a lesson for the rest of us. If you can't be a good example, then be a horrible warning. Thank whatever Higher Power you believe in that it was not worse, I know I am grateful you survived. Thank you & kudos on ya for the courage to admit it.we.. I don't wanna bash on you or preach, your ordeal & humiliation is enough. It bugs me when folks engaged in our (hobby?lifestyle?) do foolish things because it may lead to more rules & laws infringing upon us or even outlawing our roadcraft. There's too much legislation on the books already, we don't need to give the powers that be more reasons to be against us.

Please be safer in the future. You and me and most everyone reading this belong to a sort of brotherhood. I would loathe if one of us perished over something that could have easily been avoided.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
I'm gonna clean my bike sometime soon. It's not that dirty, but life is getting in the way of me riding it lately. Need to bond with my new ride.
On another note, I'm going to donate my motor setup to a bloke I know. It'll be his first one so I'll have to clue him up. Looking for a cheap bike (or free) to use so I'm scoping the streets for "free" signs.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Today I mounted the SLA battery and bag set on the rear, Got the brackets painted for my headlights, as well as started mocking up the body lighting and wiring for it.

Later this week I should be getting the tank mounts made and exhaust finished. i went for a modified SBP pipe.

hopefully some real updates soon

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had to remove engine, jack shafts, and gas tank from frame to modify both left and right side of rear stays on frame.

I cut and welded notched out sections to accommodate the sheave for belt drive and the knobby tires.

For more than safety I am designing more complete covers over the dual jack shafts that have pulleys, belts, sprockets, and a chain. This is since I removed the stuff temporarily to not get damage from near by welding I was doing on the frame, I saw how grimy the chain and sprocket had gotten.

I sort of wondered if complete covers over chain have been done before. I know the new thing is shaft drive and then it is all concealed.

Belts don't need lubrication and do not get that much grime, but small pulley less than 2 inch diameter sucks trying to not slip with 21:1 ratio 3hp 4stroke Briggs trail bike. That is where a short section of chain between two sprockets I use chain lube.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=549706#post549706

Last edited:

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
You sound a bit crafty mate. Could that small section of chain but be replaced by two gears of same size, all encased with just driveshafts out the sides?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Cruise, I guess I worked with what I was familiar with and knew of where to get the parts.

I did have a guy seeing me build my motor bike and offered an engine that already had a gear reduction box attached. That would have been easiest!

Some how I never had it given to me and so far the dual jack shaft system behind the engine works fine. I know at some point you wear parts prematurely if you let the grime stay and keep running it anyway.

But your right, you often don't see such short sections of chain used.

MT

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Measure Twice, Yeah I know. A lot of my decisions on how to go about things in the shed often start with what I've got available.
I haven't seen your bike at all. Just read the post about pulling it down.
I'm keen to eventually get a jack shaft setup and a planetary hub. I've always liked the idea, ......... One day.
Cheers.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Cruise

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=9 see post 85 one pic

and

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=15 see post 141 three pics

The small pulley left side top to bottom jack shafts replaced by sprockets and short chain.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=15 see post 145 one pic

This in the Northern California National Forest trail riding..... but then I was using only 17:1 ratio and 21:1 has been working better .....

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=543536#post543536

that is in the Travels Section I posted my trip to Central California Los Padres National Forest, but there limited to fire roads legal for my registration and avoided the trails that were too much.

MT

SpAsTicJaX

May 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
well today on my daily commute home from my course i was going at approx 54km an hour when i could feel my motor surging and not running right, so i just dropped it a gear and revved it, next thing i know i had no power.
little did i realise, my chain that goes from the engine sprocket to jackshaft sprocket had been wearing quite bad and snapped when i revved the engine.

so i went back down the road, picked up my broken chain and had to pedal home (my body did not agree lol!)

i just finished cutting up some already used chain (so i dont have to worry about stretching ) and i have gone back to old school bearing grease, and i am never using the lube i bought from the bike shop that dries into a wax because it doesnt work!!

hows everyone else going? :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got in my sprocket I ordered from Fed on his ebay store, wow what a nice looking sprocket, I was expecting an aluminum sprocket but it is a nice quality steel sprocket, now I just need to order a hub adapter, it designed for the manic style adapter, but I need to figure out which rear wheel Im gonna use and then measure to hub so Im surs I get the right adapter, I may check with manic and see if he has a spacer for the size wheel hub I used and if so Ill just but the adapter for the shimano 110 coaster hub and then use a spacer for the multispeed wheel I plan to use, unless I decide to ditch the mutispeed wheel and just go with a coaster brake wheel, which I actually like on two of my other bikes.

Map
.wee.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Today was a beautiful autumn day, not a cloud and a slight breeze. I had a report to take to work, so for the first time in two weeks I took it out for about an hour or so. I felt the sun and breeze as I motored along smiling. Even took the long way home.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Started mine up for the first time in a couple of months. Had enrich the mix to get her to fire up........guess the fuel lost a little punch while it sat. She still sounds good and runs good......whewwww!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey M/B I did the same, I finished the ceiling last Saturday and have been building work tables. I had two but were not what I wanted, I now have one table 14 feet long that will be better. I rode my o/p up and down the road a couple of times before I closed shop for the day.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey M/B I did the same, I finished the ceiling last Saturday and have been building work tables. I had two but were not what I wanted, I now have one table 14 feet long that will be better. I rode my o/p up and down the road a couple of times before I closed shop for the day.
Feels good to get something finished doesn't it, I put down a sub floor of 7/16" osb over the top of the 5/8" tongue and groove osb flooring that I had originally put down, getting the final 800 square feet of flooring down was nice, I also got one 8ft shelf built that e tends out about 24"" from the wall, I still have a lot to do to get everything the way I want it, isulation, wall board, work bench, wiring in the electric, building a front porch 8'x 20', getting the entire building painted, and then I plan to build a 14' x 20' metal working shop off to the side of the current building, it will not have a wood floor like the big building, I need a place to put my welders, torxh and the Smithy Lathe & Mill combo, when I get this all done Ill have an excellent work area for do all my planned bike work, its a shame I have so manic tools and not have a good comfortable place to use them, I have so many plans in my head for bike work I want to do, I have several engines sitting around, some of them new in the box never even opened, plan to do some four stroke builda, maybe a couple of friction drivr builds I've had in my head for a while.....blah blah blah......lol!

Just need a good place to work and slowly but surely Im getting one, kinda tired of working on this huge one man project but it will be worth it when its done.

Today, I plan to but an engine back on the Kulana Moon Dawg bike, after breaking a rearstud off I redrilled both of them for 1/4 x 20 and just need to. Ut a couple of correct length studs from the all thread I picked up at Tractor Supply, I have a 6.0 Fred Head I think Im gonna put on the engine and also Im gonna re jet an NT Speed carb and put on it instead of the RT I had on it, the RT carb did good but I lost several mph off my top speed with the RT carb when I switched from the little NT carb, all around its really hard to beat the old NT carbs.

Map
dnut

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I was out for a ride today and my clutch cable decides to snap right at the top that attaches to the handle. I was only about 6-7 miles from home. Luckily though, I keep a set of tools with me at all times plus needle nose and pliers. I was able to tie a knot at the end of it and reattach it to get me home.