Rear Disk brake + frame tank

GoldenMotor.com

Classic

Dec 29, 2008
Balboa Panama
I have a Nirve Classic and intend to put and run a Sick shift which negates my coaster brake (supposedly) any ideas how to still use it, set up a disk brake.
I think i will need something because all would have are a set of old cantelever up front. ha

another question:

I am trying to use my crossbar as a fuel tank. i tried to fill it the other day to find out that it is attached internally to my rear forks and down tube any ideas how to block them ?. or what substance might be petroleum proof to try to inject threw small holes to block the passage.

Classic

Dec 29, 2008
Balboa Panama
This is a first time for posting a picture so lets see.

if this does work you will see a polished brass fuel fill on the top of the crossbar. the petcock will be found in the obvious back part of the crossbar just in front of seat post.

As i have mentioned before the fuel does go down the back fork and the down tube.
So the options that i can see are:

- Plug the 2 little holes were it comes out in the back fork along with the front engine mount which it seeps threw. (fuel that is)
-block the the welds were they join ? not sure of a substance that would be fuel proof.
-displace- ie fill the tubes with something so that the fuel does not have anywhere to go.

quick question as i haven't yet rode one of these bikes. Is the vibration going to foam the fuel if it is in the frame tank ?.

the pic below is about a 2 weeks old so the build is a lot further along.
Many thanks

Last edited:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Nice bike!

As for sealing the top tube. The magic ingredients are JB Weld and tank sealer. It is impolite to post links to other forums but HBLocal has an excellent post on the other forum about accomplishing this.

As for the coaster brake and the Shift Kit. Not going to happen. It just won't work with a front freewheel. It is sort of like asking how to hold water in a sieve. By the time you modify the sieve to hold the water it doesn't work as a sieve anymore. You may be able to get a disc brake to work however. There was an aftermarket disc brake mount that I used on my bike. I don't have the link handy but I did post about it in the thead in the pictures gallery about my bike. I also recall a post by Mabman that had some links to very nice disc mounts.

Dug out the link for the disc brake mounting bracket I used: Disc Brake Bracket Billet - Choppers U.S., LLC

Nice job on the polished covers!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2008
AH Mate 199 GBP (british pounds ) your dreamin maybe $80 at best.
Thanks for the option.
If you think you can find a brand new front AND rear wheel set with mounted discs and calipers ready for any bicycle AND a mounted rear motor sprocket for under $80 then it is you sir i think are dreaming!

Classic

Dec 29, 2008
Balboa Panama
Touchy,
Im sorry for the misunderstanding. as it reads conversion i thought that it included the the mount caliper and rotor that is all.

im not trying to mess you up. in fact if you would be able to sell just the kit at a reduced cost i would be interested, as i have just bought a sick shift shaft and it negates my coaster.
Thanks

Jun 25, 2008
No sweat, in fact quite useful as may have to re-word the listing if its unclear. The beauty of the SBP kit is the motor sprocket is made redundant and therefore makes having a rear disc possible.