Want to get started ASAP in NJ

GoldenMotor.com

patk5508

Jul 30, 2013
mount laurel
Hey everyone, its my first time posting, and was wondering if anyone knows of a shop in the Philadelphia region that carries 2 stroke bicycle (moped, etc.) engines that I can use to get started? If so I wouldn't have to pay shipping or wait 2 weeks, and I can start the processing thru nj dmv sooner. I looked quite a bit online but couldn't seem to find anything that I could commit to... maybe I'm being too specific about 'bicycle' engines or moped engines? My inexperience seems to be a hindrance here. Help me out if you could!

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
search your local craigslist. I can find a half dozen guys in a n easy drive from me who make and sell bikes. Careful of the quality and price. Some of the bikes I see pre-built on craigslist are rattling death traps.

patk5508

Jul 30, 2013
mount laurel
Well, the bike engine came in last Thursday, so it's been in my possession a full week now, and still not nearly operational.

I'm rushing ahead, though. I have a pretty standard aluminum frame mountain bike, with a 14" gap in the frame for the motor. I ended up copping out and buying a 48cc 2-stroke engine kit from Gasbikes, though I had only heard of the troubles some people had with them /after/ I put the order through. To my delight, the engine kit came in in great condition, minus a very small dent in the gas tank. That's about where the good luck ends for me, though.

The engine was slightly too large to fit in my frame gap, as well as the bottom tube was too large for the lower engine mount. After much deliberation I decided the best effect was to mill down the lower mount by 1/8" on my friends milling machine, and design a U-bolt or exhaust clamp setup from there. I was hesitant to use the 'drill thru' method the website prescribed because of the malleability of the aluminum bike frame.

It fit! The engine fit on nicely, but afterward the chain did not. Being much too long, I had to buy a bike chain tool, at about 20 bucks-- no big loss, i'll be sure to use it later. After taking about an hour to fix the chain, I realized quite late that since the sprocket attaches directly to my back wheel, it makes it quite difficult to use the normal pedal method! The bike barely moves when I pedal, it is quite a fight. Hopefully it is because I haven't placed the idler on the chain to tighten it up, or that I haven't oiled the piston? I heard that one person had to trim down the head gasket to get his bike to run smoothly.

And, to my horror, I've also come to realize that the handlebar setup given to me is very much designed around a bike with no shifter knobs...

I was told by a friend who has a great deal of experience with two-stroke engines that before I start the engine for the first time I should oil the piston thru the spark plug breech, as well as thru the exhaust? Seems logical.

I do realize that there is quite a bit of reading that you just sat through, and whoever does manage to make it through-- congratulations, and thank you :)

:-||

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
On the hard pedaling, sounds like your clutch isn't being pulled in fully??? Reason being, compression has nothing to do with manual pedaling, as the clutch should fully disengage the motor from the rear wheel when it is pulled in and locked. If your motor is still turning over with the clutch pulled in (hence your comment about compression) then you either need to adjust your clutch or there is something wrong with the clutch...

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Git ' er done , and have some fun . On serious note , make sure your breaks work well . This'll be the fastest bicycle you've ever been on , ride safely !

patk5508

Jul 30, 2013
mount laurel
Just fab'd a new mountimg plate out of 080 steel in the basement-- hopefully it'll afford me the clearance I'm looking for, and at the very least it will be much stronger than the original setup. Ill have to change the length of the chain I'm using, but that's minor.

I'm sure mine is a very basic setup, but ill make sure to post pictures once its done!