cheap steel?????

GoldenMotor.com

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
so yesterday bicycle was fine last night it snowed so they put ice melt on the stairs to my appt building. I don't know if any of it fell on my bike,they would have had to really sling it because of where it was parked. today i noticed that the chain is rusted stiff and so is the wide crank i installed ,but the rest of the bike is normal looking is this because of the cheap Chinese steal?.shft.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
*shrug* Salt is brutal on any ferrous metal regardless of it's quality or origin and while some companies claim their "Snow/Ice Melt" product contains no salt - whatever it does contain seems equally as bad or even worse...

Where "quality" comes into play is with a chrome (chromium) coating or stainless, both should be corrosion resistant/proof - but are very often not due to their low quality, impurities and w/chrome - insufficient thickness.

TBH, I'm really not a fan of salt/snow melt products and unless it's just me - their usage is on the rise... Other than the seemingly instant corrosion of everything it touches it's even somewhat of a "mixed blessing" when it comes to removing snow & ice. Sure - it'll melt it... to a point, then it refreezes to glare ice despite the claims to the contrary from it's manufacturer. I dunno what happened, but it seems to me that we usta use a lot more of the good ol' sand & light gravel, which works no matter the temperature, regardless of refreeze...

I even had a bit of a ...disagreement w/a landlord over this heh, my poor pup would get the "Snow Melt" product caught between his pads and whine in pain & I worried about his health licking at that stuff - so I begged my landlord to stop using it and just let me use the sand I already had. After a few encounters he relented, but I had to sign a "disclaimer" in case I injured myself, even though it seems the sand still works better for longer o_O

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
I'm gonna spray it with a good penetrating oil and see if that helps i also broke the cheep gas shutoff valve trying to get it to stop leaking and am not paying 20 bucks for one from all of our sponsors its a 3 buck part at most ill figure something out before i do that

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
as far as petcocks go, i dont have one....the cheap one that came with the bike kit snapped on me when i was putting it on the tank....so luckily for me, I had a brass fitting that used to go to a cheap boost bottle kit i bought and it actually fit better than the petcock used to.....only bad thing is i dont have a fuel shutoff or any kind of screen in the tank. so i had to improvise a little fuel filter in the gas line from tank to carb as a "just in case" measure....anyways the point is you should be able to go down to a hardware store and buy a brass fitting to fit into the tank relatively cheap. be sure to teflon tape around the threads really good to get a leak proof seal, and for good measure JB weld around all of it for further leak proofiness.