decal / sticker removal ... saving the paint...

GoldenMotor.com

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Ok , I did a search and couldn't find any threads on removing decals. So I figured I would ask a quick question... ( and if there are threads you know of , pleaz direct me )

On of the donor bikes I just got ( kulana moon dog) has a really cool green paint scheme on it. So , building this one , I am going to keep the original paint. The factory stickers / decals have to go though.

How do you remove them w/ out scratching the paint ?

I tried carefully scraping them w/ razor and that product from the hardware store ( goo gone ). Yeah , the razor kinda works but it would take hours. The goo gone remover ( which states that it removes adhesives , stickers , bumper stickers ) doesn't work AT ALL ......

I know there is some simple easy way to do this ... but I am having trouble remembering ....

What are your thoughts ? alcohol ? mineral spirits ? paint brush cleaner ???

Thanks again ... !

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Might try Denatured alcohol . Your original best bet was letting some sun shine or perhaps using a hair dryer to warm up the sticker then try to peel it off in one piece. Now a combination of gentle heat and patients is prolly your best bet. I would hate to see you mess up that good paint job!

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
WD-40 works good for that. Just spray it on and make sure the whole sticker is wet and let it sit for a little while. Then it will wipe right off. Depending on how much glue is on the sticker will determine if you have to spray it up again, but more often than not just one time will all that's needed.

And GooGone is great for any glue residue that's left.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try a heat gun (on low), then the Goo Gone at the edges. The goo gone has to get under the sticker to work.
Again, Venice has the right advice. A heat gun, used carefully will lift the sticker/decals and they can be easily peeled off. 3M makes a product called 'Adhesive Remover' sold at most hardware stores that will take off whatever goo remains. Probably the same as Goo Gone.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
WD-40 works good for that. Just spray it on and make sure the whole sticker is wet and let it sit for a little while. Then it will wipe right off. Depending on how much glue is on the sticker will determine if you have to spray it up again, but more often than not just one time will all that's needed.

And GooGone is great for any glue residue that's left.
I used WD-40 to remove melted crayons out of car upholstery Vi a steam cleaner. It got it all out even the pigmentation. ;)

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
I would try the goo gone again. Ive used it many times with great success(old bumper stickers on a buddies car for one). Let it sit for a while then come back and put on a little more. It will soften the plastic and eventually seap through and that sticker should just come right off. Or like the others said use a heat gun but be carfull. Too much heat will take off the paint aswell.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree with some of those posts above. warm it up in the sun or with a hairdryer, and use WD40 to get the gummy stuff off.

if it's on chrome, or the sticker on the side of the engine, carb cleaner will take the gummy crap off, too. just be really careful on paint.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
hair dryer is safe to use.....heat gun, be careful as its high wattage, and could bake the paint/bubble clearcoat ..etc etc ....keep at a safe distance and it'll work fine.....just be careful as well with any and all "GOO GONE"S" and the like as they might ignite.....use an old credit card to roll the edge off of the surface.....no razor!...you will cut into the paint.........

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When I worked in a Auto body shop we just took a propane torch and made a quick calculated gentle pass on new structural body parts. Stickers came off easy every time for welding and prep.. It did not do damage to the paint on those parts at all. How ever we were just warming it up. Not trying to catch it on fire..

With a factory powder coat paint finish a guy could prolly get away with this. Just warming it up is all.... Quick pass! About as unforgiving as the heat gun I think.

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
The advice is correct, although I'm not sure about a hair drier. The paint is going to be brighter than the rest under the decal, so why bother. (c) Repaint time. :)

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Thanks Everyone , really , I am glad people know what they are talking about through experience

The hair dryer on Low , and a little bit of PB Blaster ( wd-40 type stuff) worked fine. Also helped warm up the garage a bit ( very nice , considering the avge temp at night has been between 17-25 in the last week ....)