Different Style Tanks?

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was thinking a trip to the local house wreckers to see what sort of tanks show up there.
Use a single bar bike and weld a second bar in if you have to. Lot of the old motorcycles didn't have two bars.

Steve

jude

Feb 16, 2009
australia,nsw
can anyone please help me i would like the handlebar tank same as , ezrs full suspension build can you please let me know where i can buy , thankyou.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
One of the bikes I will be building this winter just won't look right with one of the kit tanks. It is a Jesse James WCC Bike. I think it is the perfect bike for an under the seat tank, so I built an aluminum tank that just fits this Bell Bicycle Bag. Holds just over a quart.

John

Attachments

neicull

Sep 1, 2009
Norfolk, VA
Just wanted to let some of you guys know that are looking for a different style tank: I'm selling these. $90

More info here

These are BRAND NEW vintage gas tank. Great replacement for the kit tanks. We have only a couple of these available. The rough dimensions are 15″x5″x5″. They come with a gas cap. Only available in orange(as shown). Gas volume/capacity at about 1.25 gallons (estimate).

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Sweet looking tanks for sure. Here's what I wound up with. I found it on ebay, item number 350240176337. there are a couple left and I bought it for $25 without the cap and valve but they have links to places that have both on the listing. I think it looks good on there. Mounted easily enough and eventually, I'll repaint it to get rid of the flames.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
One of the bikes I will be building this winter just won't look right with one of the kit tanks. It is a Jesse James WCC Bike. I think it is the perfect bike for an under the seat tank, so I built an aluminum tank that just fits this Bell Bicycle Bag. Holds just over a quart.

John
That is awesome

.flg.

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Ok now we're talkin! I was wondering if a fiberglass tank would actually hold gas! not being a chemist, I wasn't sure if there would be any adverse reactions of the glass holding the gas? if a fiberglass tank is plausible, oh buddy just wait! I've spent 18+ years in the car audio industry as an installer. It got to a point, where ya couldn't stay on the cutting edge of install designs and ideas without it. A staple for any fabricator! I too was gonna build a tank "cover", got started with the begining of a jig, but then had other issues to resolve. It still hasn't left my mind though, as I too think that these kit tanks are just well kinda freakin stupid lookin!

Ok....check this out gang.......I'll do this for everybody, with pictures step by step for free ( but if everybody would like to make a donation to my BrettMavrik jackshaft fund that would be cool...lol??), to give those of you who aren't aware of these techniques, an idea of how to go about creating the tank you see but have just never seen. I should probably start a different thread though, as it will be a little lengthy......I'll call it.....ummm.....how bout.....???......DIY.../...WATCH ME BUILD A TANK ???

HERE'S A LITTLE SNEAK PEAK.....

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"Fiberglass" tank = plausible? They're commonplace actually and have been for years lol - boats have had 'em foreveh :D

There are three main types of resins used when doing layups - vinylester and polyester are by far the most common, but I wouldn't recommend them for this application given the tank's location and mounting. Epoxy resins are far tougher - but all are suffering degradation problems associated with today's rising use of ethanol, so regardless of what type resin is used - you'll need to line the tank.

Vinylester resins and polyester resins are less expensive but have a few bad habits like delaminating/blistering, photosensitivity, and difficulty in bonding dissimilar materials. Polyester resin is the cheapest resin available and offers the poorest adhesion, has the highest water absorption, highest shrinkage rates, and fractures easily.

Epoxy resin is a bit more difficult to work with and costs a bit more, but is incredibly strong and bonds to a wide range of dissimilar materials (like carbon fiber and kevlar cloth, which I would recommend for this) - I would consider nothing else than epoxy for the application. I also choose to use "slow" hardener BTW, as all epoxies really should cure overnight it allows me more working time before it kicks. Yet if you're considering a "production run" of tanks - you might want to try "medium" or even "fast", while you still shouldn't tool the "cured" epoxy till the next day, it's faster set allows more layers to be applied in less time.

The "industry standard" epoxy resin would be without a doubt West Systems. Pricey, I sometimes think it a touch over-rated... While it's really, really good stuff they've simply dominated the market;
WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

A relative "newcomer" MAS epoxies isn't as common or well known, I've used MAS extensively in a wide range of various applications both structural and as bulk filler and it's without a doubt equivalent to West Systems, if not slightly superior in some minor ways, best yet - it costs less;
Epoxy - MAS Epoxies

As sexy as carbon fiber and kevlar might look - all resins are subject to UV degradation so painting the tank is a must BTW, while you can use the less costly fiberglass - check for compatibility with epoxy as some are impregnated with oily starch material (helps w/manufacturing process) and are strictly for vinyl/poly resins - you want to be sure you're getting cloth that is proper for the resin you're using.

/end rant ;)

Last edited:

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
Wow Outrunner, that tank looks like it belongs there! Good looking bike.
I used a tank from an early model Suzuki JR50 (kids dirt bike) I think it looks pretty good but I wish it was a little bigger. It holds about what a kit tank holds.
Marvin that setup is nice
Energy drink muffler!? wtf how did you do that?
:D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been thinking about using stainless steal pots & lids for a while now. So holiday shopping tonight at "Bed bath and beyond" I found a martini shaker that would work great with a lil fab work. Then saw a tea kettle, lol. I am gonna do it. Has a fill hole and an intrinsic vent. Going to leave the handle and all.

"Why do you have a tea kettle for a gas tank?"

"Broke the coffee pot"

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Harr! rack mounted like it is on a grill? (I'm the only one who thinks this is funny, huh?)((really is cracking me up))

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
Thanks for the plug RedB66. I'm anticipating that these tanks will hold between 3/4th and a full gallon. I can't be absolutely sure yet. The price of $89 is just an estimate, it may be higher or lower. Cabinfever1977, I totally understand your reasoning behind comparing the price of the tank to the kits. I do too. In defense, I want to bring quality parts into the MAB market so the idea as a whole gets a better reputation. I know the kits are cheap but it's clear what you get from them. So, ultimately I'm going to make them as cheap as I can while keeping the manufacturing in the US. That's important to me. I want to help the progress of the MAB market with good design and options that are of decent quality. I'd love to hear any ideas that you guys have. Also, attached the pics of the tank.
i totally agree this kind of stuff may not be for every body but some of us are looking to improve a part at a different level and keep it in the usa im all for that some of us do these things for the love of a hobby for some its a lifestyle all the hard work and tools r&d aftermarket making the contacts needed to accomplish things that are not feesable to manufacture in your back yard etc .etc. is alot of work sometimes i have a small machine shop on my property and ive made countless one off parts that i lose my ass on but i also have a few things up my sleeve from the experience i am starting a wall of shame and a wall of fame at my shop mostly motorcycle parts rearsets bar clamps intakes and the list goes on all that said keep up the good work PEACE !!!!!!!!!!!!.wee.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
Been thinking about using stainless steal pots & lids for a while now. So holiday shopping tonight at "Bed bath and beyond" I found a martini shaker that would work great with a lil fab work. Then saw a tea kettle, lol. I am gonna do it. Has a fill hole and an intrinsic vent. Going to leave the handle and all.

"Why do you have a tea kettle for a gas tank?"

"Broke the coffee pot"
I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!laff

Steve M

Nov 27, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I have an idea, I like the regular tube look on the old bikes. I thought of getting some 3-4 inch emt pipe and put a cap on both ends and tac weld them on. While the pipe is openend up drill a hole for the shutoff valve and a large hole for the gas cap and epoxy the tank filler from the one that came in the motor kit. THe tube could be about 12 or so inches. I wonder if the tank liner would work on the ends of the pipe after you tac weld it on. The ends could be purchased at lowes in the fence department and use the rounded ends like on a heavy duty chain link fence post.

Marvin Martian,
Were did you get your rims and tires? They are great looking.
Steve.

Last edited: