Ride in the rain

GoldenMotor.com

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Ok guys,I have a stupid question,Is their a problem with riding in the rain?The reason why I ask is that my wife is driving me crazy,and I just want to go for a ride,but it's raining and I don't want to screw up my bike............GET ME OUT OF HERE........LOL,thanks for your time Randy..rd.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, Hear ya. I have rode both 2 and 4 smokers in the rain many times. With right gear on it is refreshing and fun. Never seemed to hurt any thing.

Be careful.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Naw, I ride in the rain alla time man - go for it!

It's even kinda fun with the right gear... provided ridin' is a choice, not a chore that is ;)

Dan stole me wordz o.o

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Naw, I ride in the rain alla time man - go for it!

It's even kinda fun with the right gear... provided ridin' is a choice, not a chore that is ;)

LOL! 2 true BA. Not dressed for it and under duress, major bummer. (Salute. Major Bummer, Privet enterprise)

Way out there, but do you think "Rainex" would work at our speeds and on goggles or glasses? Glare from car lights at night in the rain, Big time, Major Bummer. (salute. lol, Carol doesn't think that is funny either)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yus

Rain-X is awesome! I got addicted to it with my ol' jeep and dirtbikes - it helps mud slide off lol

Anything that works that well has gotta be destroying the rainforest or somethin' :D

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Its o.k. if you don't have a friction drive. mine won't move if its wet. Although I have seen at least one post that saying their friction drive did o.k. wet. ymmv.
Elmo.bf.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have been warned by a few folks that once you start rain-x you gotta keep up on it or the coating will degrade and mess up the clairity of whatever "window" you used it on.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Thanks for all the replies guys,went riding in the rain,and everything went really smooth.I't was pretty fun slidding in the rain and almost dropping the bike when i took a turn to fast,crazy fun.And the best part I got away from the nagging wife for a little while LOL.thanks for all your input.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Gotta love this crowd. Ask a simple question and we get on about how to bead water. LOL.

Glad to hear your back safe and sound. Wet roads can drop ya

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
lol I like the replies about rain-x,I tried that crap on my car and it just seemed to make things worse,smeared the **** out of the winshield,water repellent ....yeah right

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
rain-x works awesome, IF you follow all the directions. window has to be squeaky clean before applying.

i used it all the times, and at speeds over 30, i almost never had to use my wipers. i drove from so cal to laughlin nevada at night in an insane storm without using my wipers.

at free way speeds, or 100+, it's cool watching the drops just shoot right off.

this has absolutely nothing to do with ridng motor bikes in the rain, though.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Maybe i'll give it another shot,I still have some of the wipes left.I must have applied it wrong or something.Thanks for the input Bairdco.. .spr.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I dont like to ride in the rain very often....It must be becouse I am forced to do it all the time....I have had fun in the rain,but not to many times....Mabe becouse I end up at work soaking wet(plan on buying some new gear)....
As long as your magneto cover is sealed good with silicone(gasket maker)you should have no problems at all....I also drilled 2 pencil size holes in the bottom of the magneto cover to get rid of any moister(learned that from Duane at thatsdax)....
John-Johndnut

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Awesome tip john,I'll do the silicone and drill trick tomorow,the rainy weather is coming and it's best to be prepaired.Thanks everyone for all the posts.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Awesome tip john,I'll do the silicone and drill trick tomorow,the rainy weather is coming and it's best to be prepaired.Thanks everyone for all the posts.
No problem....Make sure you put silicone were the magneto wires go in(so water wont run down the wires and run in the hole)....Also when you drill the 2 holes make sure they are at the lowest point,one on each side of the bottom bolt....It has worked wonders for me....I dont have anymore problems with magnetos burning out becouse of water grounding it out....Here is a good website for leather jackets to RAIN SUITS for 27.00....check it out....
..:: Himalaya Leathe ::- Leather Jackets, Leather Pants, Leather Vest, Motorbike Gloves, Saddle Bags, Tool Bags, Cordura Garments, Cordura Jackets for Man, Ladies, Kids & Bikers.* USA
They have great deals!!!!
P.S. get rid of the factory gasket when you use the silicone (the factory gaskets are junk)....
SINGING IN THE RAIN!!!!! LOL

John-John

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Maybe i'll give it another shot,I still have some of the wipes left.I must have applied it wrong or something.Thanks for the input Bairdco...
Bairdco is defo right about the Rain-X thing, it's wicked picky about being clean. I also think of it more like polishing compound in it's application than like the Armor-All it seems like. Ya need to polish w/a dry, soft rag afterwards too. It's a bit of a chore but so worth it. The anti-fog stuff for the inside I've had no luck with tho.

You said wipes? o_O I've not seen those, I always just got the bottle lol - I'm gonna keep a lookout for those, they'd be perfect fer my glasses ridin' my MB - thanks man!

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Yeah walmart sells it in bottle and wipes form.they come in a container like baby wipes,you 24 wipes.I think my problem was that I applied the wipes to the windshield when it still had wax on window,so it mad a smearey mess.well you live and learn,and now I know.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Its o.k. if you don't have a friction drive. mine won't move if its wet. Although I have seen at least one post that saying their friction drive did o.k. wet. ymmv.
Elmo.bf.

True. I also had a fellow tell me that his new "roughed up" roller did fine in the rain but when we tried it he couldn't go an inch. The ones with surface like a rasp file are a little better but wear the tire down in minutes. I ended up pedalling with my friction bikes.

Never had trouble with wet magneto on my HTs but after taking the filter cover off found out what water does when it gets inside the carb. :eek:

Motorcycles enthusiasts know that nothing you wear makes any difference on a long ride.

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Randog, I've been a Rain-X addict for years. Works well enough I have never fixed the broken wiper on the old Jeep. Keeps the rearview mirrors cleaner...wonder if there was some gunk film on your glass when you put it on? On the other hand, it's not free, so if you're hapy without it, cool!