Project Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Randeyeman

Oct 6, 2009
So.Cal.
I'm in sunny Southern California and just getting into motorized biking. I'm converting a Diamondback Wildwood Deluxe mountainbike for use as a commutor - I work about a two miles from my home and normally, I drive a 15 mpg Volvo to and from work. The ride to work is downhill all the way, but coming home, I've got a couple of killer hills to climb. With the price of gas these days, a motorized bike will save me a small fortune in gas costs!
So far, I've installed a rear rack mounted 2-liter fuel tank, mounted a 44 tooth drive sprocket on the rear wheel, attached a twist throttle/engine kill switch and dual brake lever on the right side of the handlebar, and mounted the clutch lever on the left side handlebar. I'll be picking up a 48cc engine kit next month (any suggestions on a reliable source to order from?) Now here's the problem I've run into: the bike has a 8-speed sprocket set and I'm having trouble finding a gear shifter to mount on the LEFT side of the handlebar. The original shifter was made to mount on the right side and the 3-speed shifter was on the left. I've removed the front derailleur to make room for the engine mounting, so I don't really need the three speed shifter. Does anyone make an 8-speed shifter that works on the left side of the bar? Or is there a manufacturer the makes a shifter that'll mount on either side? So far I've only found shifters (for the rear deraileur) that mount on the RIGHT side...
Looking forward to completing this project by the end of the year. I'm sure I'll be relying on this forum for LOTS of info!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. I wish I could be of help, but I'm a single speed vintage cruiser guy and know nothing about the shifters. Somebody here does, though. Post some photos when you can.
SB

scabz24

Oct 16, 2009
dunedin fl.
if your bike has a grip shifter you could mount it on the left with no problem as far as it working,the only thing that would be different will be you would "push" the shifter forward for the low gears and pull the shifter towards you for the high gears,it would opperate fine though.Oh yea the numbers would be backwards this would only be asthetics,if you do not have an 8 speed gripshifter on the bike let me know Im pretty sure I have one in my parts bin,and would be more than happy to ship it to your door for a minimal fee,minimal meaning the cost of shipping,if you go to your local bike shop an 8speed gripshifter should run you around 15.00 if they install it it would run 10-15.oo labor,hope this helps.By the way if the shop tells you they can only sell the shifters as a set there lying I sell indeviduall shiftrs at the shop I manage all the time,good luck!

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Yeah as scabz24 said You can use a grip shifter for the right side and just move it to the left side. My bike came with the grip shifter on the right with a shorter grip, so I just moved them to the left. It is a little strange getting used to shifting, but works great.
Good luck on the build.