Clutch not engaging, clutch flower nut spinning and loose

GoldenMotor.com

johnsoma

Jun 14, 2014
Philadelphia
Hi,

Can anyone help? My clutch wont engage. I take the cover off to tighten the flower nut and it wont get tight, it just spins and spins when I attempt to tighten it. When I have it at its tightest it moves in and out on the threads of the rod it is supposed to tighten ontu. Is it stripped? Is this common? How dow I fix this? JUst get a new flower nut?

Also how do you pull that whole assembly apart in there? Where the clutch arm pushes the bar, the small sprocket is attached, the clutch is on the other side with the flower nut and all, that axle thru there, how do you get it all out and rebuild it? Is it pressed in?

Thanks!
Mike2

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
Definately sounds stripped or perhaps one of the woodruff keys is gone and the shaft is just spinning. Heres a link for a complete clutch shaft. Post some picture when you take yours out. Notice theres too woodruff key. Sometimes they can come loose or get shredded. If you remove the clutch wheel is there metal dust around the pads?

http://www.gasbike.net/products/complete-clutch-shaft

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds like a stripped flower nut or shaft. Try a new nut and see if it works, if not, replace shaft or clutch rod. (Shaft entire is 10min job, rod is harder)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Simple to replace, simple remove gears and knock out from either side. Protect new shaft when installing and use a penny to lock the gears for tightening, and use large screwdriver or vise grips to hold pegs in center of clutch for that side

LBC

Aug 8, 2016
Virginia
i just honed down the head, that made me nervous so i cannot imagine when i have to tear into the bottom end, but it is going to happen isn't it?
looking back over the last month, i really wish i would have known most of what i have learned now :D
you guys seem pretty cool around here, thanks for having me!
LBC

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
I had this same problem on 2 of my engines. Finally said fuggit and bought a HF 79.

plugpopper

Jul 23, 2016
Pennsylvania
had same problem on mine, it's a simple job taking the clutch rod out just watch you don't lose the woodruff key. I had to comb my carpet to find mine! just take bolts off of each side, use the black threaded gear puller thing to get the flywheel off, and place a piece ood wood block in there and hammer it out gently. The pin in mine wasn't completely through both holes and it got stuck. when you reassemble it make sure to turn the collar onto the spring about 15 turns to preload the spring. The end of my threaded rod where the flower nut goes was also stripped a little so I had to use dremel cutoff wheel to take about 1 mm off. These made in China engines are not for the inexperienced person. I had pretty much the whole engine tore down and put back together in couple hours just to make sure I wouldn't have any more problems down the road. Mine is about broken in and I'm hitting close to 30mph bone stock with just port matched exhaust and intake.