To Moped or Motorized Bike

GoldenMotor.com

JacktheRiffer

Jan 23, 2014
Oklahoma
Im trying to decide which way to go for cheap transportation around town and cant decide if I should build a motorized bike or moped. Does either one require a license? I live in Oklahoma City.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
It partly depends on your definition of "moped"-

Do you mean the traditional definition of something that actually still pedals,
or the newer common usage for scooter?

Don't know what the laws are there-
I've had a scooter for several years I never ride, because I've never registered it.
The motorized bikes are more convenient and less hassle here for my shorter urban area errands of several miles- that's why mine have baskets and panniers

lighter and cheaper than traditional mopeds- and they pedal through parking lots and down sidewalks better too.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I like motorized bikes because I like to tinker. If you get tired of your current motorbike, you can remove the engine kit and put it on a different bike. The variety of ways you can customize your motorbike is limited only by your imagination. Members have built their motorbikes as bobbers, choppers, cafe racers, dragsters, low riders, custom trikes, etc.
I realize that some people still love the traditional, manufactured mopeds and are very happy with them.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you're looking for reliability, get a moped. if you buy a used one that runs and hasn't been messed with, it'll usually keep running forever if you take care of it.

a 70's quality moped like a puch or tomos is virtually indestructable. the motors are built by experienced people that cared about their products, and the rest of the bike was designed and built with longevity in mind.

a motorized bike is fun and you can build virtually anything you want, but most of us aren't professional vehicle designers with engineering skills. engine quality is hit or miss, you constantly need to repair, replace, tune, tinker, and find the tools you threw across the garage in frustration.

but it's still fun... :)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
True.. if you love to tinker with stuff, the motorized bike is the way to go, but if you want something more dependable and not so high maintainance, then the moped is the go...
Of course, the motorized bike is a bit more manly to be seen on but to each their own there... if it's fun and you enjoy it, who cares what others think.. And, if your budget allows for a little (or a lot) more, there's one called the motoped which is as manly as it gets because it uses a 50 to 150cc 4 stroke Honda minibike clone engine and down hill mountainbike components to complete the build, these things are tough, look tough, and you can pedal them when needed or fire up the engine and be gone...
http://motopeds.com/ .... I don't sell these or make these, but I do drool all over myself when I visit their site... These are the coolest by far...

66sub

May 27, 2014
canada
if u can pull it off a gasbike is alot of fun. really like my gasbike. its a good hobby that will keep u very busey.
i have a highend 55mph 50cc scooter and its lame but convienient and easy to register properly. i paid 500 for the scooter and 2000 and counting on my gasbike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have a 2007 Harley Davidson soft tail custom an old Yamaha 650 Maxim a 150cc Rocketa scooter and four running motorized bikes, each has there own ways of providing enjoyment but for my fun riding of just buzzing around and going on a several mile road trip into town I probably have the most fun on my motorized bikes, if you build them right they can be very reliable, not as much as motorcycles, scooters and a quality moped, but pretty darn close if you enjoy a little tinkering now and then to to keep things working smoothly, if you have the tools and the ability to keep a motorized bike going its a great and economical way to get around and if you like attention you'll get a lot of it when your zipping around on a motorized bike because its a bit unique and people are very curious about them.

Map
.wee.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I know exactly what your talking about when you say getting attention... I can take my Harley to a bike rally to put around on and get No attention, but if I put around on the motorized bike, Everyone has to come by and take a look or ask where they can get one or how easy they are to build etc etc...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Oh yeah, people are drawn to the unique and unusual, and of course the motor heads like me enjoys most things with wheels and an engine, some arrogant types will snub their nose and just walk on by but in their heart they really want to stop and look, they're just jealous that they aren't getting the attention and that they dont have one...LOL!

I've been around people that almost act as though they are mad when they see it, sometimes thats because their wife and kids are smiling and looking my way with that wow look on their faces and the fella with the overactive ego doesn't like that...LOL!

It was funny what happened the other day when I was in town on one of the fast bikes, a fella on a 50cc Chinese scooter was trying to chase me down, he peeped his horn at me a couple times but I was on my way home and didn't feel like talking to anyone, I just hammered down and smoked him for several miles, he couldn't catch me and finally just turned off and quit trying.... I was about 9-10 miles from home... I laughed a little because I'm sure he was thinking what the heck... I just got outrun by a bicycle for about 3 miles... now that kinda thing is just pure fun to me..!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
When I'm building a motorized bike, I'm always on the lookout for unusual stuff to include in the build. For example, I was at one of those home decorating stores with my wife yesterday, a potentially miserable situation. While the wife was looking at knick knacks for the house, I was looking at brass items that I could use in a steam punk project. Seems like when I have a motorized bike, gas or tronic, I'm always on a quest for interesting things to use in my projects.
I have a 150cc scooter also that runs like a top, but it does not inspire my creativity and folly like the motorized bike, The scoot is just not as fun.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I have a little bit of everything. Harley, Vespas, Scooters, Mopeds, and my trusty little motorized bicycle. While I will say, the Moped (when stock) is a lot more reliable then your china girl 2 stroke motorized bike), I find myself riding the Vespa a lot more. It's a lot more fun, and people love to see you on it.
However, I have a LOT of enjoyment riding my motorized bicycle that I built myself. It's a 7 speed (jackshaft) and it can handle anything. So, it's kinda what you want to do. my moped is VERY worked. It has a 70cc top end, bigger carb, expansion chamber exhaust. But, I know that it can break down at any minute due to all the work that's done to it. A motorized bike is the same way. But, if you keep a moped stock, they'll run forever...