Are Motorized Bicycles the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Re: Are MBs the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

CarbonFiber. Spandex, and doping...A I'm missing something?
Redneck Motorbiking Forever!!!
YyyEeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
buzzard

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

CarbonFiber. Spandex, and doping...A I'm missing something?
Redneck Motorbiking Forever!!!
YyyEeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
buzzard
lol when you said carbon fiber, i suddenly had bad images of riced out MBs...

it'll be a sad day when we start seeing MBs with a 10 foot spoiler bolted onto it and the guy bragging about it going "190mph"

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

when i started racing my mtb in 92 it was already popular....
Popular is relative. I've been up to my neck in motorcycles since the sixties, but I never heard of a China Girl till last year. I do think our popularity is exploding though.

The town I live in has seen an increase in MBs of 300%. That's the three MBs I've built lol.
MTB usually refers to mountain bike.

Aaron Nelson

Jul 22, 2010
MilesCity, Montana

Nah.....I got y'all beat.

Going to work one night I passed a pack of bikers on their Harley's....
While peddling backwards....hahaha ababa aha....

I pulled into work and they followed to see the bicycle that passed them doing 30. I was pretty cool.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

Never passed a group of harley's but I do have a lot of people interested at work they all say they are going to get one but Its been 6months and haven't seen another one yet. Most people see it and think it is awesome and always commented on how nice my crusier is and that they have only seen the scrap parts ones.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Of all the folks I talk to Harley riders seem to be the most enthusiastic lol, it always strikes me as odd that they'll be so stoked given my bike in total cost less than just their paint job heh

...still, I've not yet found one willing to trade even :p

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd

Of all the folks I talk to Harley riders seem to be the most enthusiastic lol, it always strikes me as odd that they'll be so stoked given my bike in total cost less than just their paint job heh

...still, I've not yet found one willing to trade even :p
Hey man, what kind of bike is that? Is it the Grubee one with the integrated gas tank or something else? Looks sweet.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd

Funny that, I am both curios AND bored. :) Taking a look now. Sadly I don't have the patience to restore an old bike like that. Looks really sweet man, great job.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

Harley people like customized stuff and that what we have-Road bike riders are into their own hobby all they see is a low end Chinese cruiser with a noise maker wedged in it and the back of my head as I pass. I see a lot of top end bicycle and a lot of matching ridding apparel-Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom yes in the eyes of the tour de France crowd and the fixie pixies (BUT I'M NOT THE ONE WEARING THE FUNNY LITTLE SHORTS WHO'S COOL NOW)

kojak

Feb 2, 2011

I'm already used to disdain from the spandex/carbon fiber crowd, due to my annoying habit of smoking them in stoplight drags on my $350 commuter MTB (of course they blast past in a couple blocks when I'm out of gears, but I've already had my chuckle). I haven't had anything but thumbs up from 'em on my MB, but it's old-timey enough that I don't think it really compares.

The real red-headed stepchildren around here still ride fixies.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

I'm already used to disdain from the spandex/carbon fiber crowd, due to my annoying habit of smoking them in stoplight drags on my $350 commuter MTB (of course they blast past in a couple blocks when I'm out of gears, but I've already had my chuckle). I haven't had anything but thumbs up from 'em on my MB, but it's old-timey enough that I don't think it really compares.

The real red-headed stepchildren around here still ride fixies.
How in heck are they even getting near you once you past? "DUDE" ARE YOU RUNNING A 50 TOOTH REAR SPROCKET?

kojak

Feb 2, 2011

Should have clarified that: my MTB (mountain bike) is a pushbike--no motor. I still try to ride it to work occasionally for the exercise.

My MB (motorized bike):

I never counted the teeth but it's not a very big sprocket; it cruises at 35. Nobody else in the bike lane is passing me.

Blazecc

Apr 19, 2011
connecticut

agreed its funny to pass by a group of bicyclists all spandexed out here i am zippin by on my cruiser bike getting the low brow looks from them but hey i really dont care im enjoying myself and having fun doing it. ws actually suprised seeing a few stop by my shop to buy one soon,had some spandexers and start asking some questions with some positive results comming from them after a bit of explanation about the motorized bike and its functions they were quite impressed.pino. must be the free ice cold waters i had set out for them browsers. :)

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

How in heck are they even getting near you once you past? "DUDE" ARE YOU RUNNING A 50 TOOTH REAR SPROCKET?
I know. Once I pass any cyclist, be they cruiser, mountain bike, fixie or spandex mobile, I'm like a UFO passing through a planet's atmosphere.

I'm gone, and our paths will probably never cross again.xct2

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

I live in a tiny rural community, there's not much of a bike scene of any sort. We do have the weekend warriors, decked out in sponsored spendex on their billion dollar bikes & yea, they're pretty snotty, they tend to cause a bit of resentment by ignoring the shoulder & riding two abreast, blocking traffic - they seem to think that as they've spent so much to "be in the scene" they're somehow entitled to do as they please, the laws of physics need not apply as the cars stack up behind them. They're known to make assorted hand gestures - but returning a friendly wave isn't one of them... unless you're sporting at least a few thousand in carbon fiber ofc.

Whatever, to each their own - it just annoys me mostly because their aggressive indifference makes all bicyclists look bad, folks will never even notice the passive pedaler cruising along happily, the one who though not required by law - moves over as much as they can to let folks pass, be it out of courtesy, a simple sense of self preservation - or both... heck, even I was beginning to associate shrink wrap shorts with simply stunning stupidity.

For the past three years or so I've been doin' the daily commute on my motorized bikes, my '43 Rollfast in the sunny summer months, by beater Schwinn in the wicked, wicked winters... and while I've had many adventures & met more than a few people both good & bad, there is one small tale I'd like to tell.

There's a roadie I see sometimes in the morning, decked out in bright yellow gear she's always on the other side of the road, going the other direction... presumably also on her way to work, wherever that may be. I've always been mightily impressed with her determination & stamina as it's no small thing to ride year-round in Maine on a bicycle. She's got the gear, but she's no pompous poser - she's not even cheating, with panniers, packs & pedals but no motor assist of any sort. I'd smile & wave, she'd ignore the bearded freak on the stinky MB & we'd go our separate ways.

Yet after that first winter, my wave started to be returned with the slightest of nods, an almost imperceptible dip of the aerodynamically streamlined helmet... after the second winter sure enough, a few fingers would come off the bars in acknowledgement... and now, in the third winter running, interestingly - it seems we've a little competition going as to who can manage to greet the other first with a big smile & a wave or a simple thumbs up, though the bridge crossing is exempt as we'd prolly both crash, narrow and bumpy as it is.

I've never spoken to her and probably never will, we've both places to be & I'm usually late (ironic as that may be w/the motor an' all)... but I'd like to thank her for reminding me of some things I'd nearly forgotten, how much a simple smile will serve you, how far a little courtesy will carry you, that not all 'dexters are pretentious pricks just as not all MBers are weedwacker wackos... but it might take only the one to change public perception. Most importantly - it makes no nevermind at all what you wear, ride or how much you spent, it's what you do that earns real respect.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

... it makes no nevermind at all what you wear, ride or how much you spent, it's what you do that earns real respect.
I could not have said it better.

I, on occasion, get a little frustrated here, when I hear how the majority of posters here feel about the spandex crowd. I wear spandex when I ride my pedal bike and I know I'm not like the 'spandexers' described.

We all, me especially, should remember that "it makes no nevermind,,,".