What do you think about these as handlebar grips?

GoldenMotor.com

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
I intend on getting the aluminum throttle assembly from SBP (Sick Bike Parts) and I'm having a hard time finding grips that come in a combination of 7/8" and 1" (one for the throttle assembly and one for the other side). So, I was thinking that using handlebar tape would solve some of the issue and also give the bike more of a distinct look:

MISTRAL

I can get this stuff on ebay for $16 shipped, brown color. I was originally thinking about getting leather wrap, but that stuff is ridiculously expensive. This stuff gives a leather look for a more affordable price. Just curious to know if anyone has experience with wrapping a throttle assembly. Oh, and general opinions of course :)

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
SBP has a set of grips in those sizes I think they were on sale for like 5.00 or somthing
Thanks :) I saw these too, but I don't like the way they look. I guess I left that bit out of the OP. I've found some sets (three or four), but none to my liking.

http://db.tt/zFy8XjY
I just "whiped" my own and covered in plasti dip .
I get throtle ass. From murrays $13
Props for originality on these (^) I think that's what I want to accomplish on my bike. . . something a little different.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
almost every motorcycle and dirt bike has 7/8 bars with a one onch throttle. you can get grips from Renthall, Moose, Tag, and a million other companies, in any color, and in different compounds, all for under 15 bucks.

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
almost every motorcycle and dirt bike has 7/8 bars with a one onch throttle. you can get grips from Renthall, Moose, Tag, and a million other companies, in any color, and in different compounds, all for under 15 bucks.
Sweet, thanks for the info Bairdco :) So, I'm looking at these now:

Pro Grip 842 Gel Duo Density Cruiser Grip - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Generally speaking, if I buy the 7/8" size, one grip will come as 1" for the throttle side?

Cheers.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I use Oury dirt bike grips. Get them on ebay. If you want leather wrap for that really old school look then use leather wrap for tennis rackets. Very resonably priced and lots of colors available.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I really like Scott dirt bike grips for two reasons, 1 skinny grips with soft compound so the reduce forearm pump and 2, because they have my name on them! :D They come in several colors and are under $10.

I really like the compound of the oury's.....they're just to fat for my likeing....I like skinny grips.

Last edited:

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
I use Oury dirt bike grips. Get them on ebay. If you want leather wrap for that really old school look then use leather wrap for tennis rackets. Very resonably priced and lots of colors available.
Sweet! Thanks Sportscarpat. . . definitely going with this option, it's settled. Genuine leather for a fraction of the price! Awesome. This should give the bike the look I'm going for.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Comfortable grips are really important if you have arthritis or other hand issues. My difficulties are a combination of early stage arthritis and nerve damage from being struck by lightning sixteen years ago resulting in Guillane Barre Syndrome (like polio). I've tried a number of different grips and in the end my favorite is a set of foam grips which I then cover in hand stitched elk hide. Very comfortable for me even for long rides.
SB

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Would love to see a pic of those grips silverbear, I bet they are a great piece of work, I really enjoy nice leather work, not any good at it myself but my brother has done some nice things, in my family we have always been very proud of our Native American Heritage, but almost all the culture was lost in the last couple of generations, Cherokee & Choctaw from both sides of my family but we are bleached with Irish & German also....pretty much Heinz 57...LOL!

I really like all of the Leather & Bead work though and wish I knew how to do it and had the time for it....!

Peace

Comfortable grips are really important if you have arthritis or other hand issues. My difficulties are a combination of early stage arthritis and nerve damage from being struck by lightning sixteen years ago resulting in Guillane Barre Syndrome (like polio). I've tried a number of different grips and in the end my favorite is a set of foam grips which I then cover in hand stitched elk hide. Very comfortable for me even for long rides.
SB

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
So, thanks to Pat's brilliant idea, I bought some tennis racket leather wraps. Here's a rough idea of what the finished product will look like:

I still need to shorten the handlebar ends a bit as they are really long right now. Plus, some nicer end plugs and no overhang. This should work out great! Thanks Pat!

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I actually had a guy send me some Brooks leather wrap for his boardie bars. Nice stuff so I figured I would buy some for myself. After the sticker shock of that idea wore off (expensive!) I thought about tennis racket wrap. Maybe I'll save the Brooks leather wrap cardboard box and fill it with the cheap stuff.......

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i got those metalflake repop's and put it hot water pan on the stove heat'em up a little and work them on with some leather gloves, the heating seem's to rid the grip's of the china stinky rubber smell and they look good with the ape's