Huffy fender fail PHOTO

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nothing new, Yodar.
There have been numerous reports of fender bracket failures. We recommend that if you run fenders to reinforce the fender and brackets. Search 'fender failure' and see what others have experienced and done to fix the problem. Bairdco did a nice tutorial on fenders. You can also PM Dan and let him give you a first hand report of what can happen if the front fender comes loose and wraps around the wheel. :(
Tom

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Nothing new, Yodar.
There have been numerous reports of fender bracket failures. We recommend that if you run fenders to reinforce the fender and brackets. Search 'fender failure' and see what others have experienced and done to fix the problem. Bairdco did a nice tutorial on fenders. You can also PM Dan and let him give you a first hand report of what can happen if the front fender comes loose and wraps around the wheel. :(
Tom
I KNOW DAT! I thought a pitcher would help the nonbelievers

You'll see my most recent pitcher of the bike with newly installed spring-fork, LACKS the fender`!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Here's my fix for a fender on a springer. Should work on non springer too.
Gonna trim the corners or bolt some ornaments there.
DSC_1399.JPG

Last edited:

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida

Here is my solution...
before I cut them to size.
Now they are just long enough to hit the frame if things go bad.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
We can do what Wayne did using the L brackets I have or we can just make some out of the flat steel I just bought
Sorry Joa ,look closer, That's NOT an L bracket.

That's a T HINGE>

To use ANY L-bracket on a springer fork is guaranteed FAIL.
The fender moves with the springer travel, and the fork centertube bolt dont move at all.

I wanted the fenders to stay,so I am experimenting with a T hinge there.
DSC_1398.JPG

I decided to trust the rear fender tab, and it let go after 3 miles, letting the fender get sorta intimate with the chain down there. One good ziptie to the other side of tab mount got me home.
Now another good ziptie on the other side keeps it centered :~)

Zipties would be a good backup safty for our fenders.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
There's probably a guaranteed fail in my method shown above. Just came to me

The fender hinge axis is so far away from the springer hinge, that something is going to crack from being stressed eventualy, prolly fenderstays.
Hinge would work great for non moving fenders though..

Ideal scenario would be a custom bracket hinged on the same axis as the springer.

Or maybe a rubber/kevlar hinge like maybe a piece of automotive serpentine belt?

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I have a Kustom Kruiser with a springer fork

The fender is held on by a bolt that goes up into the fork tube

With that same metal strap that I have we could make a bracket that indexes the hole that goes through the bottom of your center tube

Or , OR, we could just find out what that fitting that goes up into the center tube is called and buy one of those,,, K.I.S.S.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey, talk about KISS!

I might be wrong but It looks like the fender and the main fork tubes move in unison. Could it be so easy as to use audel clamps directly from fender to fork tubes??

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I ride to and from work in the French Qtr in NOLa, and the streets are quite often wet in the AM from city washdown trucks..
I want to keep all that funky horse and human urine tainted water off me as I can :~)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
would you trust pop rivets for that?

I always see screw-nut assemblys open up by themselves even with lock-tite

Yodar
I use nylock nuts and never have problems with them loosening..I always re-tighten fresh bolted stuff a few times after some use

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My fix was drill 4 holes and U-bolt. Easy, fast fix that can't fail. (hehe, I hope) I face planted real good and had a sort of a blood blister the size of a softball and later a baseball where my ribs pinched the flesh against my hip bone for months. Really important we let new folks know about this over and over. (sorry about the graphic)

Have this set up on a springer. Not that it has to, but could rotate. I used muffler sealer and double nutted. Where ever possible I put the bolts, bolt down with the nuts up and visible so I would hopefully see if they vibrated loose. So far, so good. http://motorbicycling.com/f11/fender-fortification-fun-23421.html

Having fenders again, took me months to brave it again, is great! Go ridding on days with out em, ya wouldn't.