Wire Fender Braces

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
For those people who are using the "old fashioned" wire braces how do they compare to the factory stamped ones that come on most bikes? And is there somwhere to purchase them?
Thanks & Cheers

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Betcha the bairdco knows...

no wait... that's the Shadow ain't it? Dang...

Kinda lookin' forward to the replies, I don't like the look of the new stamped ones on my ride... Thanks fer askin' chainmaker :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Bairdco, thank God he uses his powers for good" (I think I pm'ed him with that one way back, lol)

CM, what are "old fashioned" wire braces"?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i don't know.

i mean, i don't know what wire braces are. at least in an old timey sense. i've seen cheap wire ones on newer bikes (i mean like post 70's bikes) and i've always thought they were junk.

fender construction in general has gotten weaker. the steel is thinner, the braces and brackets are thinner and weaker, and they're just not built to last.

i'll say it again. for replacements and upgrades, Wald Fenders and Braces.

http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/fenders.html

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/category.cgi

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, snork BairdMan. After that build up. Or is this just part of your plan? "Snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper" sort of thing!?

I'm not ready, I'm not ready!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Donutguy,,,,do the planet bike fenders have a steel strap from one side to the other(inside the fender) where the brace rods connect to the sides ?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
ok ,my question,,,is there a plastic conection at the seat stay or on ?front fork that would tear loose ,rather than crush the wheel if the fender broke away from the center connection ?,,,,,,,,,,,,my though on this is a safer fender mount that doesn't cause catistroffic (spelling) failure by crushing the wheel the way regular steel loop over fender braces do

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
The front fender has a stainless steel mounting tab that attaches to the fork crown....the tab is mounted through the fender......honestly, I see no way they could harm you if it failed. If it did fail....the top of the fender would just ride on the tire because it would still be supported by the lower fender stays....these are very lightweight fenders.

I've run these fenders off road on my cyclo-cross commuter bike and to be honest- I've beaten the unholy crap out of them and the fenders have never given me an ounce of trouble.

Sure, if your dumb enough to mount them and configure them with minimal clearance....then your just asking for trouble the first time your tire kicks up a large stone and it gets stuck in between the fender and the tire....but I digress.