Cool Air Filter Mod

GoldenMotor.com

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Check this out. I was doing my first 5 hr tuneup and discovered dirt inside my carb due to the cheap scrubby pad air filter supplied with my GT5 kit.. Here's some simple steps and a few photo's

Items needed. Vacuum bag, scissor's and pen.

1st, lay the filter retainer on the bag and trace.

2nd, cut out new filter insert..

3rd, Put back together then punch holes for screws.

4th reassemble .... Done! Make sure the new insert is between retainer and the scrubby filter faceing
the carb intake.
bike 0011.JPG

bike 002.JPG

bike 003.JPG

bike 004.JPG

Last edited:

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
That might turn out to be too restrictive after a short time, I can understand your reasoning but a vacuum cleaner relies on the bags total volume so it can draw air as it gets dirty, that small area might get dirty real quick, it will be interesting to see how it works out, if it doesn't work consider steel wool, the industrial restaurant type coated with 90wt or K&N filter oil.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That might turn out to be too restrictive after a short time...
That reminds me of something a guy I know once said, "I don't like Fram air filters because they get dirty too fast", if you think about it it should come to you. :D

Fizzbane

Apr 4, 2010
Canada
i know on some computer cases they use swiffer pads cut to size to eliminate dust through the fans, I would assume they would work in our carb filters. just my 2 cents.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Just in the last few days somebody posted the K&N part # for an air filter element thats a direct bolt on. I can't seem to find it. 6250? or something like that

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Hey Ted, I used a cheap bag that came with my shop vac. Im sure not every type of bag will work. You just have to experiment for what works best for you..

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
What you can do also is use a pantyhose to replace the cheap foam. Cut a round piece of pantyhose, replace it with the original foam, stick the plastic baffle in and screw in the whole thing. Works great!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
i know on some computer cases they use swiffer pads cut to size to eliminate dust through the fans, I would assume they would work in our carb filters. just my 2 cents.
Ahh computers, that is my main business the last 24 years ;-}
For machines in dirty environments I find a single square of toilet paper on the outside of the case in front of the fan hole with an inch of tape to hold it in place when you shut of easy and effective.
When it gets dirty replace it.

A better MB air cleaner is a good idea, I need to do something myself as monsoon season started here in Phoenix today, we can get some wicked dust storms.

I was thinking a big hollow foam filter with a light oil coating.
Any thoughts on that?