New guy from Arkansas

GoldenMotor.com

KAA

May 15, 2010
Arkansas
Hi everyone! Well I've been on here looking around and you all got alot of info. Looking forward to my first build. I've got one question right now. Is there certain things to look for in a bike such as in the frame and rear wheel that makes a bike a good candidate for a motor? Thanks KAA

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
KAA,

That, in my own opinion, is your most important decision. If you choose the wrong bike, you will hate life. what kind of motor are you thinking about going with, 2-stroke or 4-stroke?.... 4 strokes need more room, but 2 strokes are sometimes too big for a bike too...... my best advice is to stick to a “basic” design.... there are some bizarre frame styles out there.... and more expensive bikes get pretty custom, and thus require custom installation methods.... good brakes are a plus.... I like hand brakes, coaster brakes are risky....

my suggestion is the Micargi Touch 7spd Beach Cruiser Bikes For Sale | Micargi Bikes
or if you want a super cheap bike that gets the job done and looks great try the Huffy Cranbrook at wal-mart (only 85 bucks)... www.broped.com has an awesome one on their main page.... it’s the silver one at the bottom

Welcome and good luck!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Unless you have motorcycle or similar experience, make your first build simple. Whether you go 2 stroke, 4 stroke, frame mount, rack mount, or electric, first builds seem to go easier with a steel mountain bike or beach cruiser bike.
I prefer the steel beach cruiser, as mountain bike steering is very quick and gets a bit twitchy at speeds of 20mph of better.

slowpoke

May 12, 2010
North Texas
From my viewpoint, that's a good tip, wheelbender6. I have an old Roadmaster mountain bike I bought recently from a yard sale, which I was thinking of using for my 2nd build. But I think you're right about the twitchy steering, so I will stay away from it. My first build is a cruiser, and I like it just fine. My only wish right now is for a comfy seat. Not enough built in padding on my rump. Today, I trialed a doubled-over piece of 3" foam rubber tied to the Schwinn "No Stress" seat, and it's better, but looks bad.
Aw, I'm sorry. I think I just went off on a tangent.
slowpoke