Help w/ front motor mount

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im currently trying to figure out a way to mount the front part of the motor because the tubing is to big. Im going to buy a couple U-Bolts and a steel plate and work with that.
Should I use these bolts(in picture) to mount from the outside of the steel plate into the motor or cut the rods and just double nut on the outside of the plate?

Someone please give me a clear way to mount the front w/ a plate and u bolt..It would help me out SO much.
Thanks

:-||

Attachments

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Just for next time, look into getting a newer 66cc engine, particularly a slant head from zoombicycles. They are manufactured (I don't know if all of them are now) with a special wide front engine mount that fits around a large tube rather well. In your case you probably do NOT want to use that mount. It requires you to drill a hole in your frame. That's a bad idea. Go to sick bike parts and get theirs, it uses a muffler clamp to go around the tube.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Thanks for the advise on a new motor, but I have to work with what I got. And Id rather pay around 5 bucks for the Ubolts and steel plate rather than 20 for the SBP mount. Im sure its a good mount and I also cant bare to wait for it to get here.

I really want to make some progress on my first build but the front motor mount is holdin' me back.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I want to know weather I should use the bolts in my picture(or buy longer ones) OR cut the rods that come out of the motor and just double nut them on the other side of the plate.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I want to know weather I should use the bolts in my picture(or buy longer ones) OR cut the rods that come out of the motor and just double nut them on the other side of the plate.
Yes you can use the small bolts in your picture when you use a 1 1/2 half inch exaust(muffler)clamp with a peace of steel you drill holes in.....You can also take a pair of vise grips and take the long bolts that are in the motor out....Also so you know,they have a whole site on this forum for mounting advice and ideas....Mounting Techniques - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum Check it out it has tons of great ideas....
John-John

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hockey puck does a great job of spreading clamping force on the down tube, and not tearing up the paint. proper bolts??? fwiw Joe
Ofc joek, I was jus' mentioning that as he wanted it simple and quick, not that the puck isn't - but it is another step lol

I shoulda explained "proper bolts" a bit better heh, I had a similar issue as Tcams and the bolt heads protuding from the forward mount hit my frame before the plate did - so I got bolts with heads 1/2 as thick (still hadta bevel them slightly with my dremel) to allow it to seat properly.

Sorry bout that... it was so clear in me brain o_O

:p

joek

Sep 1, 2009
detroit
Ofc joek, I was jus' mentioning that as he wanted it simple and quick, not that the puck isn't - but it is another step lol

I shoulda explained "proper bolts" a bit better heh, I had a similar issue as Tcams and the bolt heads protuding from the forward mount hit my frame before the plate did - so I got bolts with heads 1/2 as thick (still hadta bevel them slightly with my dremel) to allow it to seat properly.

Sorry bout that... it was so clear in me brain o_O

:p
It does not show well in the photo, but the steel adapter plate in the photo is modified. put it in a large vise and used a BFH and a block of wood to bend it lengthwise to match the angle of the down tube. along with the spacing provided by the puck, its another solution to the same problem. Joe

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You could use a vice and make the tube narrow a little that what I did never weakens it 1000km bike's perfect just.
o_O

No offense, but if yer referring to squishing the bike's Dtube - DO NOT DO THAT!

The only thing that provides a tube strength is it's shape, yer tempting Murply with that 'un fosho ;)

As you've crimped it on the sides - it has little lateral integrity now, fortunately that's not where the stress is... usually. Had you done the same but top and bottom - the stresses of normal riding could have caused the tube to fail by now.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I didn't squish it till it looked like a block just a little till I could force the bolt through it was only on the front and I haven't had any problems yet if anything the chain has given me the worst problems dam thing fell apart on me twice lasted 200k till I just decide to get a #41 roller chain. sorry I should have been more specific.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Depends on how much ya need - if it's just a lil, any ol' bit of metal (steel) bent to fit would do - if it's a LOT, I'd get longer studs and space in between the motor and it's standoff (aluminum).

Prolly best to fab somethin' yerself - aluminum works easy with basic tools.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, given the front needed modding anyway to fit - I'd think about making one of the clamp/plate style front mounts (pictured above) and then work on the standoff for the rear. That way you could equal out the differences. *edit: if it's just 2" then this is prolly best ;)

There's also the mounting platform technique, Jim sells them (better hurry) here: ENGINE MOUNT

Or - you could fab somethin' yerself, check it out;

Attachments