Anybody in Tallahassee, Florida?

GoldenMotor.com

alwaysanubie

Jul 4, 2009
Florida
Brand new to this. I'm definitely starting my build ASAP as I need a cheap alternate means of getting around. Tough times and I'm not getting another car right now. I want to do this right. First off I need to find the right kit. Are all these Chinese motors the same? I want as much speed and power as I can muster. I've got a 21 Speed Diamondback I plan to use. Eventually I will get the Jack Shaft kit. I've seen these 48cc Grubee motors and Grubee says they produce more power than the basic 80cc because of the enlarged ports. Is that true? Should I go with one of those or get a regular? Tell me what to do. Let me eat your knowledge.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Always,
Welcome to the forum. These bikes are fun and simple and can be used as daily transportation but in reality they are novelty items for the hobbiest and tinkerer. You're asking for power and speed. You need to keep in mind that above all else they are still bicycles. Motorized, yes, but they're not motorcycles. Basically all of the 2 stroke in-frame motors are essentially the same. Some of the newer kits are boasting improved performance due to improved porting, slant plug heads and such but they are all basically the same engine. As with everything, "You get what you pay for." Some kits offer upgraded accessories such as clutch levers, sprockets, fuel tank, etc. You will see them as cheap as $100.00 and as expensive as $3 to 400. One of the most important things to consider before ordering your first kit is to stick with a reliable vendor who stands behind his product. After sale customer support is often more important than advertised horsepower and performance. The advertisers you see here on this forum are all proven reliable or they wouldn't be seen here. The fly-by-night ebay guys might...or might not be there after the sale when you need them. Have fun and keep us informed of your progress.
Tom

alwaysanubie

Jul 4, 2009
Florida
Thanks, I understand they are not motorcycles. If I wanted one I would not be here on this forum. So then what is wrong with getting the best, most powerful motor possible?

alwaysanubie

Jul 4, 2009
Florida
Thank you Dan.

I hope to get my "bicycle" on the road soon.

I think I'm leaning towards getting a Honda 4 Stroke but I still want to use a Jack Shaft so I can switch gears.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have the Honda GX50. Love it! No kidding the thing is just awesome. Does 35 MPH just humming along. 32 is her happy speed though. I can't say enough good about that engine. The vid at the end of my sig is my Honda b4 she was broke in. Has the speed and power I wanted from a MB. Climbs hills great.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks, I understand they are not motorcycles. If I wanted one I would not be here on this forum. So then what is wrong with getting the best, most powerful motor possible?
Tom is giving you good advice. Lots of folks will very often put a MB together (most especially going with the cheapest engine kits they can find online) and quickly become discouraged. Happens a lot. Then yell up and down. They (MBs) are a great, fun and an economical way to get around. But most kits are not the perfect choice for primary transportation. My Honda starts every time, first time. The GB has failed 3 times. Just not the best thing to count on to get to work although many do.

Post lots of pics!

alwaysanubie

Jul 4, 2009
Florida
I know you're right Dan. It is hard to make every intention crystal clear with words alone, no body language and all. That is what smileys are for right. :) And it's easy to assume the wrong things. I have a very reliable Ford Exploder. I just want to save gas on the sunny days and have a back up way to get around. Great video by the way. I never heard that song by Queen. I like it!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is so true, the body language and facial expression thing. I hope I did not come across as unkind or dismissive. Really is a challenge in text alone. For your goals, the Honda is an excellent choice IMHO. I have had many 2 stroke kits that all have served well and only had to peddle home a few times. (most often for having run out of gas. I R a bit slow in de head) I have never owned the HS/Honda clone but rode a few and they seem great. The gear box on the 4 smokes seems to be the only bummer part but some exciting new ones coming out. Bar that (the GB) The 4 stroke is an awesome choice. Not to take away from the chinagirl's virtues. They are thin, lite, cheap and are just plane good looking.