Hello from NE Tennessee!

GoldenMotor.com

turbofiat124

Aug 4, 2016
Kingsport, TN
Hello! My name is James. I've in NE Tennessee.

Here are some of my projects:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=1

For awhile I've been fooling with a 95 Kinetic moped. But I'm about to give up on it and go for a motorized bicycle instead. For several reasons.

In Tennessee a moped has to be registered and insured. But a motorized bicycle does not. I guess because it has no VIN so there is no way to actually title it. My Kinetic does not have a title and if you live in Tennessee and have something without a title, unless it's 30 years old, you have to jump through hoops.

I don't think it's worth the hassle of titling an insuring something not driven on a daily basis.

Where I live we have lots of hills. Unless you have a moped with a variater transmission or a 2 speed Tomos, one speed mopeds are only good for flat land. They are heavy so trying to make it up steep hills is almost impossible even trying to pedal. I've had to get off mine and push it up hills.

I'm interesting in putting one of these motorized kits on my aluminium framed Mongoose mountain bike.

I got a few questions. So far the kits I've seen turn a sprocket that is attached to the rear wheel using half moon discs and some rubber spacers. This guy below actually has some setup where the motor turns a small sproket on a shaft to the outer sprocket on the pedal and the inner sprocket drives the rear wheel and he can change gears just like on a motor cycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPL6UliZLeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLu4fd5gi9Q

Anybody know if this is something you can buy or is it something he fabricated?

These engines are refereed to as 80 cc but sometimes referred to as 66 cc. What's up with that?

The C/R is 6:1. Why so low?

Anybody ever shave the head to get the C/R up to 9:1?
At 6:1, you should be able to run the engine on kerosene like those old tractors from the early part of the century.

That's all for now.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Welcome to the forum. You can go simple single speed with a motorized bike and make it up extremely steep hills if it's set up right. First unless you are going shift kit for sure, and they are awesome a beach cruiser will transfer power and climb a lot better than the mountain bikes. We have built a lot of Huffy and Schwinn cruisers and with a healthy 66cc you will climb just about any hill. If you need any help feel free to pm me questions and I can help you with a great set up for hills. And remember you have to deal with down hill if you are dealing with uphill so don't forget the brakes!
Happy motoring!

LBC

Aug 8, 2016
Virginia
get disc brakes if you can, i have/had the V brake assembly that came with my 29" schwinn low glide, just got rid of the rear V brake system and going with a front disc brake system as soon as everything gets here to assemble it all, get really good brakes if you have the hilly area, i have gone through about a pair per week @ $8.00+tax per pair.
honestly i don't even see where the shift kit would help besides long rides or low gears to climb better, but i am a newb and still learning :p
good luck and ride safe!
LBC

LBC

Aug 8, 2016
Virginia
and if you're going to hone your head down a bit use the glass pane method if you have no place near you to mill it down, i have done this i still need to get a compression tester though lol
you will see a difference when you hone the head ;)
LBC