rear suspension

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Halflinks are good thing! What I'm finding out is on this build a rear freehub is not! Letting off throttle and reapplying leaves too much slack to catch up. Also I think my stock plug is too cold and that's why the carbon. I leaned out the carb and still carbon. I've read two causes rich or cold plug, so ill try a 7 ngk see what I get.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Since I have only 1 chain and it is very short only couples top to bottom jack shaft, I do not think enough links are there to have that de-powering slack issue. Only thing I have had to do is be sure that the alignment is true for the two sprockets. The other two transmission connects are 4L v-belt cogged type to make bends without heating up to much.

Master link has never been an issue at all and it is #35 Chain.

When you have some outings with the shocks being put to the test, get some video from the side line. I'm not sure you'll do trails. For where I ride you need to have a registration, but OHV 52 dollars 2 years and cheap to free campground where the trails are is great!

MT

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah MT, I will always add to my build thinking..chain adjustment slots!! If videos are as easy as pic's ill give it a go . I'll tell you I rode over some roads around here on 'del rio' (no rear sus.) and had to slow down or jar everything more than I wont too! Buuuutttt with this rear sus. Ohh its nice. My cheap spring forks though, rebound too hard. If I could figure out how to get em apart I'd take a spring out. I go to swap meets lookin for a real set of forks. I'm gonna go for a 10 mile ride and see what shakes out. I'm takin a chance though. Only got a mirror and helmet. Hey where do you get your cog belts?

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Oreilly auto and other auto parts have them. Kaman had a a bigger selection of various lengths. I still had to use an adjustable diameter pulley and it wears down as it is aluminum. To get a cast iron one like it may be a bit costly. For about 15 dollars at Granger near by store I got another. If you use a belt it would be best to get a wide belt (Not 4L) and clutch to match. Synchronous pulleys are expensive so if I made another build I would try to do all with chain.

Also Kaman
https://ec.kamandirect.com/us/catalog/KITBranchLocator.jsp?_DARGS=/us/catalog/KITBranchLocator.jsp

These are not cogs that fit in synchronous pulleys, they just bend easier around small diameter v-belt pulleys. Too small a pulley under about 3 inches get to be not useful for the power used and even with a cogged belt it does not matter. I found that out by experimentation.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
It does not really look so nice where I made extra room on one side of the frame of my build a few years ago. This was to make clearance for my rear wheel sheave when I had to change it out from an earlier part I using. I MIG welded 3/16 inch steel where I notched out the tube for the new part to clear. It has taken a beating and I suspect if as things go you do something similar. There is the angle issue for alignment, and a belt is forgiving a bit, where a chain you have to keep more in true I would feel.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
We do what we do...and then learn!!lol..the bike I call 'orange crate' I started with a rear24 triangle and head tube then added top tube and down tube. The down tube I stopped about 7" from bb then took 2angle iron and sandwitched a piece of down tube and welded to the seat tube about 8" up from bb,angled to short down tube so it became the mm for the vertical pred79. That worked,just other misses caused me to scrap it and try this build. Buttt..now I finding that the frrewheel crank with the freehub cassette is too many freewheels. There's no engine breaking and a lot of lagging chain catch up when your on and off the gas. Soooo..not happy..gotta redo the drive.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Experience is the best teacher, and mistakes are called progress. And at my age i have had a lot of mistakes ......Like what you are doing,keep it up.........................Curt

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Thx curt, this build had a couple mistakes,so far all fixable.the wind was blowin hard today and lil hs142 struggled, so I got home and got on the pred and gave it back to the wind. Yeah I found that I have to shift gears after I get to speed and start cruising so that I keep tension on the drive train. It's all good just need to get her legal now,for my own peace of mind. I also learned LED not bulbs,for my lighting. I'm running 8 d cells in four pack holders from radio shack, no headlight. They lasts about 3weeks,and that was with a bulb system. I just ordered a sla 8 ah to change it out along with LED's. And I could run a headlight with the sla. I'm thinking of a remake on 'del rio'. I think I've been bittin.....lol

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
SOLD! I took my rear sus. To the swap meet, wasn't there 20 min. and sold it...400$. It was a fun build. I think we all like going from our mind to the work bench to the road! Thx for your help,your feedback,now to put more power to 'del rio'!! and a home grown spring saddle.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Damn dude. Well at least you got something. I crashed, hurt myself, and my bike was stolen :/

I'm at a loss, even if I still had it... Would not be able to ride for several weeks :( for people like me and I think you and many others here... Life ain't the same without a project.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Dang,I really hate thieves. Not a bad crash ,I'm hoping. I know the feeling of having something stolen from you...rage! Get well.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Damn dude. Well at least you got something. I crashed, hurt myself, and my bike was stolen :/

I'm at a loss, even if I still had it... Would not be able to ride for several weeks :( for people like me and I think you and many others here... Life ain't the same without a project.
What? Some lowlife stole your bike? I have motors if you need one for a new project.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I hope you find you bike and heal fast.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Thanks guys. Yeah it is only a wrist fracture or something. Be a month till I can ride anyway, so if I don't find my bike till then.. we'll see. Foot had some pulled/sore muscles and I'm walking two days already. Down to only 6 advils a day now. Doc will tell me more tomorrow..

What? Some lowlife stole your bike? I have motors if you need one for a new project.
Thank you for the offer! Really appreciate it. I have a month till the wrist heals to think about it (and see if my bike is found). However I rarely build two similar projects. I start thinking about a better, faster, more reliable MB with rear suspension... it starts looking a lot like a motorcycle.. then I think.. well I could trade the 200cc motor for a 5 or 600... and then...

...Then I start looking at parallel twin's and stretching one of those instead :D

Way I see it.. It's a sign to move on.. And the season to count blessings.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
That's where I'm heading O1..im saving for a yami 650 or similar. That pic is the way ill go...just have put ole man bars on it... hoping your bike gets found.

Edmundo

Nov 18, 2015
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Have any of you old pros used a 26" Avalon bike with a rear spring suspension for an 800cc motor kit install. Is the frame space big enough? Does the rear suspension travel mess with the chain tension? Or, is it a sweet ride?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Hey so, after a couple weeks I'm sort of in the planning stage for a new project. I have a couple questions about your rear suspension::

How was the strength, was it too flexy?

Would you build another full susp or just go with a suspension shock under the seat?