hello!!

GoldenMotor.com

stolle

Aug 2, 2010
st. louis, mo
hello, just stumbled upon this site doing some reading on motorizing a bike and have a few questions. the main one being where do i buy an engine kit from? i have searched around and looked at a lot of different sites some seem sketchy, the prices are all over the place. ebay is them same way, just wondering where you guys would recommend buying an engine kit from, as far as price and availability goes? im looking for under 50cc.

my plans are to put it on a 26" cruiser and make an older looking motorbike/rat bike, just think that would be cool. also was wondering if if was at all possible to put one on a 20" bike, i know i have read that it doesnt fit im still curious if anyone has done it, only reason i ask, is right now i have a 20" bike and i dont have a 26" bike :).

thanks, cant wait to get my project going!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
check the ads on the sides. most of them are reputable dealers. also, there's a few threads here that give you some dirt on various vendors. just dig around here for awhile and find one you like.

most 20"ers don't have enough room in the frame, but it's been done before. again, use the search engine above and you'll turn up quite a few 20" builds.

welcome to the forum.

stolle

Aug 2, 2010
st. louis, mo
check the ads on the sides. most of them are reputable dealers. also, there's a few threads here that give you some dirt on various vendors. just dig around here for awhile and find one you like.

most 20"ers don't have enough room in the frame, but it's been done before. again, use the search engine above and you'll turn up quite a few 20" builds.

welcome to the forum.
cool, thanks, i just like the idea of having something a little smaller for some reason i guess im just used to riding 20" bmx style bikes.

stolle

Aug 2, 2010
st. louis, mo
well, i have decided to build a mountain bike with a shift kit, so currently im scouring craigslist for some local deals, when i get a bike i will be sure to make a build thread. im kind of worried about the laws here in missouri i keep finding that some sites sell 66cc kit cheaper than the 49cc, here in missouri it would have to be the 49cc to be legal, i guess what im asking do you guys get hassled a lot or having the 66cc over the 49cc is it worth getting hassled over as far as power goes?

thanks for the this site it is very helpful :)

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Hiya Stolle. Welcome aboard.
here in missouri it would have to be the 49cc to be legal, i guess what im asking do you guys get hassled a lot or having the 66cc over the 49cc is it worth getting hassled over as far as power goes?
:)
As far as the 49cc vs the 66cc issue is concerned... it kinda falls under the heading of "Who's gonna know?" The center mount engine, nicknamed a happytime engine even though made by many different companies, doesn't come with a stamp/badge/sticker proclaiming its size. (I guess some might, but not any that I have seen.) Both engines look essentially the same. Only if you placed them side by side you could spot the difference. I have ridden my 66cc bike by many local police departments and never have been given a second look. Don't speed, obey all the traffic laws, wear a helmet and you are golden.
I haven't ridden in a few months because a screwed up my back but am hoping to be back out shortly. There are a half dozen or better guys in the St. Louis that get together to ride that you should look up when you are up and rolling. Doug
.duh.

stolle

Aug 2, 2010
st. louis, mo
thanks for the welcomes guys, much appreciated!

i have decided to get a 49cc, just because i live by calverton park and would pass through going to my parents house, if your not familiar with calverton park, they pull you over for damn near anything. its small and most of their money comes from their single red light camera and writing tickets. i would rather not take any chances, thanks for the insight though. i guess im going to focus on modding the 49cc porting and whatever other tricks i find to squeeze out as much as i can, im pretty handy :).

i need to work on actually getting a bike and engine first, didnt think it was going to be hard to find an inexpensive bike on craigslist, but i cant find nothin' lol, actually they are there, but no one ever calls you back. to top it off i just had to spend my bike fund on my car, stupid car, good thing i get a discount at the parts store. prof fate, hope your back gets better, is there a st. louis based motorized bike forum or club?

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Yeah, that sucks about being stopped for nothing. Just an FYI, you do have to have a regular driver’s license to ride motorized bike in MO. I tried to get a local club going a while back but kind of got sidetracked by life. Send me a private message and I can send along the contacts I've made around here. You can also search the members list by home town to find any others.

Hornet915

Aug 4, 2014
St. Louis
Just built my first ride. A 66 cc motor I have rode by the officer a couple times. Never had them look twice. BUT tonight a neighbor kid came out in the street said he was going to call the cops cause he knew we were rideing 80/66 cc motors! Makes me go humm? Any suggestions.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
For the most part if you fully obey all traffic laws and don't ride like an idiot the cops have better things to do than harass you. I would advice getting a bicycle computer to avoid speeding. The biggest thing I'd warn you about is vehicles pulling out in front of you. Often they think you're on a regular bicycle and don't realize how fast you're going.

agcat111

Mar 28, 2013
Utah
Sick Bike parts used to sell 49cc stickers. He might have some still/ If so put that on that motor.