Motorized Bicycle WannaBe

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Hi All,
I've been reasearching motorized bikes for a month or so now and hope to do my first build this summer. I'm a retired 200-pound geezer who just wants cruize around the country side a little and make short trips (15 mile round trip) to Wallyworld now and then. This would be mostly on good, two-lane black top roads with not much in the way of hills. No great need for speed ... I'm more interested in comfort and dependability than top end.

I've pretty much decided to keep things simple with a friction drive kit and like the Robin/Subaru 35 4-stroke, but I don't know much about bikes. I'd welcome some advice on a good bike in the $100-$200 range. I've heard that a steel frame would be better than aluminum for MBs.

Thanks in advance for your help .......
Michigan Mike

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Re: MB WannaBe

Welcome to the forum... Steel frames are better than any material for a motorized bicycle.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan

Welcome to the forum! Wallyworld sells a nice cruiser style bike in that price range and you might get it cheaper now that it's out of season. When it started snowing I went there and got a mountain bike for only $50. I couldn't believe it was that low, but it was and I took it home with me!

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan

Welcome to the forum! Wallyworld sells a nice cruiser style bike in that price range and you might get it cheaper now that it's out of season. When it started snowing I went there and got a mountain bike for only $50. I couldn't believe it was that low, but it was and I took it home with me!
Thanks for the tip Hiker ... will keep that in mind when I go to Wallyworld later today.

Michigan Mike

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA

You should also check your local craigslist for 80s to early 90s models of TREK and Raleighs. If you want a regular triangle frame rather than a cruiser. I picked up a Trek 800 (antelope) for free and the frame is steel. I also picked up a 1980 Raleigh Reliant for free and that is also steel. I'm quite fond of the TREK 800- it s good solid frame that would be good for ANY build. They are also dirt cheap now.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas

Hi, MM Welcome to THE forum! I ride a Schwinn Point Beach Alum frame for 2000 miles with no problems. I treat it gently tho. My steel frame Huffy I "ride it like I stole it".
Mtb. Liter is better, when your old.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan

Hi, MM Welcome to THE forum! I ride a Schwinn Point Beach Alum frame for 2000 miles with no problems. I treat it gently tho. My steel frame Huffy I "ride it like I stole it".
Mtb. Liter is better, when your old.
Thanks Saddletramp. I've been looking at the Schwinn's in Wallyworld and like the cruisers too.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Hi Mike, welcome. Comfortable shoes is right for a good ol' steel frames craigs list is awesome. The wally world point beach is great for a cheapy. It is aluminum and the front fender needs shoring up or removal, but makes a really great MB platform. Kulanas are great too, but very small. If you go with wally world, order your bike and do not let them assemble it. You can have it delivered there for free and build it at home. A little more frustrating but worth it. IMHO.
Last bike I purchased from WW had some serious "Good or close enoughs"

Welcome to the crazy!

Last edited:

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan

Hi Mike, welcome. Comfortable shoes is right for a good ol' steel frames craigs list is awesome. The wally world point beach is great for a cheapy. It is aluminum and the front fender needs shoring up or removal, but makes a really great MB platform. Kulanas are great too, but very small. If you go with wally world, order your bike and do not let them assemble it. You can have it delivered there for free and build it at home. A little more frustrating but worth it. IMHO.
Last bike I purchased from WW had some serious "Good or close enoughs"

Welcome to the crazy!
Thanks Dan ... will keep that in mind. I looked at Kulanas in Wally World today. True ... they are on the small side but they do have nice lines. Still I think the Schwinn wins in overall looks.

Thanks again for the welcome ... hope to "talk" again sometime.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

The Schwinn is a great option. (remember about the front fender, can be a big deal) I love my point beach. Many folks have used them with great results.

I look forward to seeing what you build!!

Last edited:

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan

The Schwinn is a great option. (remember about the front fender, can be a big deal) I love my point beach. Many folks have used them with great results.

I look forward to seeing what you build!!
Thanks again Dan. I will remember about the front fender ... seems I've read where front fenders that vibrated loose ended up jamming the front wheel and throwing the rider ... not good!

And I know what you mean about putting the bike together myself. I used to buy old, used snowmobiles and put them back in service for resale. I saw lots of "good enough" repairs put on by previous owners who didn't care or didn't know better. Good to check every nut and bolt when we can!

Your Schwinn looks GREAT! I really like the "knotty pine saddle bags" too! I've been seriously considering the Schwinn Meridian trike from Wally World. Was thinking today of how I might build a nice, wood "truck bed" for the back to haul my dogs or a few groceries.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan

Walley World has trikes??
I guess that's what I get for living where Moses left his shoes! rotfl

I often thought of doing a trike for the ability to haul stuff and decided to build a side car for my current bike instead......now if Spring would arrive!

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Walley World has trikes??
I guess that's what I get for living where Moses left his shoes! rotfl

I often thought of doing a trike for the ability to haul stuff and decided to build a side car for my current bike instead......now if Spring would arrive!
Hiker, with your talents, go trailer? For all you have done for me, I will build one for ya! (ball and hitch mount that will go great with a 4 stroke coming out next yr)

Cool thing about walmart is they are huge! You can look at their bikes online then get the overworked, underpaid manager to order one for display so you can see it. Then decide if you want it. If you go to 3 different WW stores, they will have different bikes. Sky (and imagination) is the limit. .fly

Last edited: