4 stroke appearance

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I am building my second M/B both used the SD Stinger motor. The first was a Schwinn Jaguar and the current one is a Huffy Cranbrook. I am having some snags with the Huffberry build but will continue and get it done. I have decided to build yet another one and want to go with a better combination of bike and motor. I have also decided to use a four stroke motor. This may seem trivial but I don't like the looks of most of the four stroke motors I see. I like a motor to look like a motor and with all the shrouding and painted covers they look like a lawn mower. Do you good folks have a recommendation of a good four stroker that looks like an engine should.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jim C,
Until someone builds a 4 stroke with a cylinder that slants in the right direction, not vertical or slanted to the rear, I'm with you. I've yet to see a pretty 4 stroke install. They all look like lawn mower engines bolted to a bicycle.

If appearance is more important than some other factors I haven't seen anything that compares with a nicely detailed Chinese 2 stroke.
I'm currently into a new build and I seriously debated going the 4 popper route but in the end decided on the good old HT because the bike is being primarily built for looks.

Someone, a family member who lives in Florida, recently told me he had an engine that was made by Briggs that was a 'V' twin 4stroke. He said it was a 5HP water pump engine that he gave away to a friend who was planning on putting it on a bicycle. I've researched and found nothing about a 4 stroke 'V' twin ever being made by Briggs & Stratton. Maybe he was mistaken about the manufacturer or the fact that it was in fact a 'V' twin cylinder engine. Now that is a 4 stroke that I might consider.

Tom

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Jim C,
Until someone builds a 4 stroke with a cylinder that slants in the right direction, not vertical or slanted to the rear, I'm with you. I've yet to see a pretty 4 stroke install. They all look like lawn mower engines bolted to a bicycle.

If appearance is more important than some other factors I haven't seen anything that compares with a nicely detailed Chinese 2 stroke.
I'm currently into a new build and I seriously debated going the 4 popper route but in the end decided on the good old HT because the bike is being primarily built for looks.

Someone, a family member who lives in Florida, recently told me he had an engine that was made by Briggs that was a 'V' twin 4stroke. He said it was a 5HP water pump engine that he gave away to a friend who was planning on putting it on a bicycle. I've researched and found nothing about a 4 stroke 'V' twin ever being made by Briggs & Stratton. Maybe he was mistaken about the manufacturer or the fact that it was in fact a 'V' twin cylinder engine. Now that is a 4 stroke that I might consider.

Tom
have you looked at the B&S Vangaurd engines, they are a V twin. but, they are not small, 13 horse is the smallest they have in production now.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Kohler and Honda also supply V twin engines for industrial uses. As for slantiing a cylinder backwards, what about a geared primary drive to let the engine rotate 180?

And if you need a big engine with an upright cylinder, what about side valvers?

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
The HS 49 with the shrouds removed looks pretty good at least from one side. I think under 50 cc is a legal must for me. The China 2 strokes look way better but do have some draw backs. I really want a good frame this time. I am thinking Felt, Electra, Worksman, Phat or a vintage frame there are probably others. I hope to make the 4 stroke build a keeper so comfort, reliabllity and good looks are a must