SO CAL orange county spark plug heat range-NGK

GoldenMotor.com

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Anybody living in southern California or anywhere with the same climate know which heat range is optional? I an currently running the ngk bp6hs but too cheap to purchase a 5 and a 7 to test for myself. Thanks very much.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run the 6 on most of my bikes, and the 7 on my heavily modded bikes.

a 5 is too hot, so unless you only ride your bike in the winter at night, i wouldn't worry about that one.

if you think your motors running hot with a 6, it'd probably take you 15 minutes to panhandle $2.50 to get a 7...:)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey Alien, There was a HUGE discussion, Even a little infighting, over this issue on the "other" site. Most agree that unless you're riding in Death valley (a 7) or Alaska in winter (a 5) Then the B6HS is the one to use. A B5HS does not mean the spark is hotter, It simply means the porcelain of the plug holds more heat keeping the plug "hotter". The same it true in reverse for the B7 keeping the porcelain cooler.
So, being the "middle of the road plug" The B6HS is a good all around plug for the HT engine.
To get a hotter spark you would need to upgrade the CDI and possibly your coil. Unless you plan on building a high performance racing engine this is not necessary for a stock motorized build. The stock Happy Time should run just fine with the B6HS.
Thats good looking out changing the factory plug. Those things will leave you stranded, and usually miles from home. I hope you also replaced the plug wire and boot with better quality auto grade stuff. The chinese plug wire is the cheapest POS in the world.
Rubber Side Down,
fatdaddy.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Thanks everyone. I just picked up a few plugs at oreilley's. They had to special order them and they were 2.49 each? Also, what have you guys found to be the best gap? I've heard a .30 gap is best.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Ya didn't say if ya replaced that POS plug wire. If ya want a good steady spark at the plug this is a MUST DO thing. This is almost as important as the plug upgrade. At times I've thrown away the NEW chinese wire and replaced it with a USED auto wire. It's just that much better.
fatdaddy

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i gap mine at 25. i've experimented with gaps ranging from too small to start to too wide to run, and 25 seems to be the best.

honestly, though, i didnt feel much difference between 20 and 30. these motors aren't tuned well enough to take advantage of very small changes in gaps.

i agree with fat daddy. change the plug wire, crimp, and boot. that's about another 3-4 bucks.

7mm copper core, non-resistor wire works best.

the old wire just unscrews from the cdi. it may be glued in, then it'll break off when you twist it out, and you'll have to dig out the rest (carefully) with a small pick, then screw the new one in.