Lurker coming out to intro himself.

GoldenMotor.com

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Bucks County , Pennsylvania
Just wanted to drop in and say Hi to all of you. Been lurking through the threads recently trying to get some Ideas and learn from your trials and errors. Ive only built one scoot that was a mating of a tail section of a mangled go-ped 35cc and a kids foot scooter. ( Ill see if I have a Pic of it.) Now due to circumstances my bike is the only transportation that I have and I have to say, You guys rock when it comes to gettting these bikes on Petrol.

Ive seen some really imaginative and utterly amazing works on this forum unlike some of the others that rely more on the kits. \m/ you guys rock!!.

My latest foray into the world of powering a bike is just a simple thing. Homemade rear rack out of brackets from a plasma screen tv I found in the trash as I was peddling by and A dumpster dive Homelite 26cc curved trimmer that the local goodwill was too good for. S.xx.ome nut, bolts and lock washers from my stash of goodies.

Hope my questions that may come in the future dont seem ignorant but I tend to look for the answers first and then ask if I cant find them.( you find a wealth of info doing it that way that may just help you figure out your own question.)

Anyhows.. Cheers and keep the builds coming.

http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/xx.gif

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You'll probably enjoy our DYI section where non-kit folks gather and share ideas.
Good luck, ride safe and have fun.
Tom

MaximusPrime

Jun 9, 2011
Washington
Welcome to the forums!

I took a look at the pics of what you managed to build and its pretty sweet....

Two suggestions if your not totally happy with the performance of your machine is first.... Yes a bigger engine will help you out a fair amount... and second... a friction drive system like you have set up where your putting a roller on your drive wheel tends to not transfer power efficiently from the motor to the ground.... unless you really hammer that roller into the side of the tire where it makes contact your gonna lose some power...and at that point your also gonna put excess wear on your side wall.... this is also why most of the friction drive systems I have seen put the drive roller on the outside edge of the tire so that the wear from it fits with the normal wear pattern of the tire....

Just my quick thoughts....

Keep on building and posting stuff... :)

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Bucks County , Pennsylvania
2Door:
thanks for the welcome. Before I even joined the forum I spent hours looking through the whole site trying to get ideas and look through others experiences. The DYI section is where I spent a bit of time along with the two cycle section. There's a lot of info here and It gave me some direction as to the best way to go with what I had on hand. Thanks again for the welcome.

ToxicAz520:
Thanks for the welcome and making me feel at home here.

MaximusPrime:
I thank you for the input and thats why I asked for suggestions. My thinking with putting the roller on the sidewall has done two things for me. First is that in the rain there will be less slippage because the sidewall is throwing the water off the tire hopefully which yesterday kinda showed me it will do just that after test rides in the rain. So far there has been minimal is any slippage except from the clutch from being under powered. I might still try a smaller roller and make it out of Rubber like Canonball2 has made.

Second train of thought was simplicity in using what i had on hand to get the job done till I can get something better together. I do not have access to a lot of materials atm nor do I have a ton of money to do this. This way gave me an immediate power system to help me on my 20+ mile a day rides as my car went Kaboom and I live 6 miles from anywhere.

Still I do thank you for your suggestions and when I make my next one I will definitely have that in mind. Also thanks for the Welcome.