Hello from Florida

GoldenMotor.com

Dart

Jun 5, 2011
Florida
Hi to all... been following some threads in the forum for some time now and thought i'd pedal up from 'Lurksville'.

Been thinkin' about installing a motor to my ol' Schwinn 'World Sport' but have some doubts and questions.

Had it for half my life ... i'm 50 now. Was purchased with the thought of upgrading in the future. After well... probably thousands of miles, I never felt I needed a better one. The Chromolly frame and alloy everything else makes for a truly effortless ride.

However, I have not been using it as much as I used to and after accidentally stumbling into 'motorbicycling'com, I thought i'd give it a try.

What concerns me is the tire width which is 1 inch. Don't know if I could add a wider wheel with tire to it or just leave the narrow one on there. My plan was to disable the gears and make it a single speed first... don't want all those added cables once I add a motor.

any suggestions and guidance for my decision ?

Dart

Jun 5, 2011
Florida
I was told today that not much I can do about a wider tire. The width @ the rim is .925". A tire width more than the one on there now will not accomodate :(

There is barely 2 inches space at the top between the fork. I think I could get away with a wheel rim diameter of maybe 1 1/4 - still close tho.

Don't think the extra quarter inch width is worth all the effort. Maybe I'm better off getting a new bike for this project.

btw joabthebugman ... 40 miles north of Tampa - Spring Hill dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us.
I have a 1974 World Sport hanging from the ceiling in my basement. It was bought new from Mack Cycles in Miami. (I still have a 'T' shirt from them) Has probably less than fifty miles on it and looks like the day I brought it home. I've never considered motorizing it because it's just too classic and would be a stiff ride. We oldersters tend to go for cruisers with fat tires and soft seats.
Good luck with your project and we're always here if you need help or advice.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Dart

Jun 5, 2011
Florida
hello from miami, good luck with your build!
Hello treyoh5 - Miami, lived there for many years ... still miss it :)

I have a 1974 World Sport hanging from the ceiling in my basement.
Tom
Thanks Tom ... That looks like mine did before I changed the handlebars and seat ! - I bought mine 25 years ago and it was a used bicycle back then...crazy thing, but I still can't find a good substitute for it.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Dart

Welcome and have fun.

Personally, for reasonable cost, dependability and awsum performance I am impressed by the current builds using HF 2.5 to 6.5 horse power 4 stroke motor`s with the comet cvt drive. The motor and cvt will be less than $300. with a coupon at HF sale time. jmho

Ron _________cvlt1 PS; Two curent threads by COBRAFREAK & CULVER CITY CLASSIC`S.

Last edited:

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Hello and welcome Dart,
First I would love to say I love your bike, I have one similar back home, and I plan on motorizing it as soon as I get a chance, I currently have a hybrid bike with about 1-1/2 inch tires "don't know the exact size, but they are little bit wider than a 10-speed's. I love having skinny tires, but the bumps don't bother me much, but I would personally recommend getting another bike for the reason that it is your first build. I and many others had made many mistakes on our first build, cause it is a learning project. So find a cheap bike that you don't care if you mess up, scratch etc. and let that be your project, save that beauty for when you know the ropes a little more.

I'm glad my bike is back home, because the hybrid i bought here in Korea is torn up, scratched and not very presentable, just usable.

Ultimately it is your decision, but i would recommend to have a project bike first.

Good luck!

Dart

Jun 5, 2011
Florida
@ Ron - Thanks Ron - will checkout the 4 stroke motor`s w/ the comet cvt drive and the 2 threads u mentioned.

@ Horacio - Thanks for the advice - you may have saved my bike's life - lol

been looking @ a $99 - 26" Ocean Pacific cruiser for my first attempt ;)

Dart

Jun 5, 2011
Florida
oooh yes, that's what i'm talkin' about :p !

Delmar ?
... love the seat ! ? ...details pleeez :D

Last edited:

Sanction

Jun 1, 2011
Central Florida
Hi Dart!
I'm a newbe to the forums my self just joined a few days ago. I through together a Huffy beach cruzer while I look for a good mountain bike frame.
Welcome from Ocala...