quick and easy bike tech stand

GoldenMotor.com

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
I was having some issues with my bike at high RPM on my ride today, so I wanted to see what was going on, I looked around my shop for materials to build a quick tech stand and came up with this:

it seemed to work out well for me, got my problem fixed and I had a nice ride.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My way I have hooks from the ceiling. I like your stand though I don't have to clean the garage to get to my stand then.laff

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Engine stand turned bike stand....

I have always been hanging my bikes from the rafters with tie-downs to work on them. Pain sometimes but gets the job done.

I came upon a Park bench mount stand, tried to figure out where to put it but had nothing that would hold a bike, or allow you to have full access on both sides of the bike.

So I was doing a build and got frustrated with my bike swinging back and forth as it whacked the side of my head when I remembered the park mount.

Real quick like I mounted it to a old engine stand and it works great. I can even wheel the bike around which is great in limited space like I have.

Attachments

Bean

Aug 13, 2010
Montreal
tahts awesome i am going to buid one tommorow i think should be around 15 to 20 bucks cause i have to buy everything.thanks for the idea.
bean

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's one, same idea, just steel pipe and some angle iron instead of PVC.
I like Dave's idea of mounting casters, maybe removable ones. This one slides easily on a concrete floor and it stays attached.
I've done engine tests on it so I know it's secure.
Tom

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Engine stand turned bike stand....

I have always been hanging my bikes from the rafters with tie-downs to work on them. Pain sometimes but gets the job done.

I came upon a Park bench mount stand, tried to figure out where to put it but had nothing that would hold a bike, or allow you to have full access on both sides of the bike.

So I was doing a build and got frustrated with my bike swinging back and forth as it whacked the side of my head when I remembered the park mount.

Real quick like I mounted it to a old engine stand and it works great. I can even wheel the bike around which is great in limited space like I have.

Thats exactly what I need, thanks Dave, Ive been looking for a stand and fits the bill right there!!!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I put my bikes on a table top. When I hang from the ceiling with cargo straps and then roll around the table on a a stool. I do this when I am building one. Not as fancy but anything beats working on it at the floor to me sometimes for that purpose. I spent to many years crawling on concrete turning wrenches.

The quick rear stands are still a definite jewel tho anything helps. I really need to make one!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Great use of PVC!

My bike's rear stand is welded to the frame (makes it easy to pull rear wheel), but when I need access to the front wheel, I have a long rope running over a rafter and tied to each grip. This raises the front wheel as much as I need. I think I'll make a PVC stand for the front now :D

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i found a nashbar trainer at the swap for $20. it's like a dyno in that it turns a drum and is not easy to turn [trainer?] to start but works great to simulate road conditions while inspecting for problems that you can't see on the road. and it kinda looks cool setting their...

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
I use an old Park Professional stand I got years ago, and when the finished product gets too heavy to lift easily, I use a come-along attached to an anchor in the ceiling to lift the bike up to the stand.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I made mine a few years to dial in the carburetor and basically check things out before going into the street. Saved a lot of pedalling.

It's just some 2X4s bolted together to form a cross, a rear fork made from some metal strap and two rails to keep the front tire straight. Two eyes to secure tie downs to the handlebars.

The forks holds the rear tire up. I made special rear axle nuts for all my motorbikes to fit into the stand. Very solid set-up when standing up to pedal start.

Folds up neatly for compact storage.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
msrfan that is a beautiful stand. Functional, convenient and compact. I would probably put legs on mine so I could sit on a stool and work on the bike. And legs would be an easy add on.
Thanks for the idea, again great bike stand.