Sprocket clearance

GoldenMotor.com

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Because of narrow chainstays on my frame, yes I have added as many spacers as possible, I do not have enough clearance between the sprocket teeth and the frame, will turning the sprocket around so the mirror side faces out kill me, also it is one of the kit supplied 44T sprockets. WILL THIS KILL ME?
Also because of my chain tensioners addiction to playing in the spokes the chain has a slight twist towards the bike in a section, WILL THIS KILL ME?
Thanks for all the help, I would like to live to ride :-||

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
switching the sprocket around will not be harmfull at all, the chain should be replaced, and the chain tensoiner should be perfectly aligned with the chain.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
So long as the chain runs straight and true between the engine sprocket and wheel sprocket, do whatever you have to do. A "slight twist towards the bike in a section" does not sound too good to me.
It should not kill you if the chain flys off while you are going 1 MPH. Any faster and all bets are off.
Follow Cogswelln's lead as well.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Depends on the chain. Some of the cheaper ones have alot of lateral play in them (like a multi speed chain) so it can switch cogs. Try a single speed (usualy chrome plated) chain or a HD 415 chain.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Because of narrow chainstays on my frame, yes I have added as many spacers as possible, I do not have enough clearance between the sprocket teeth and the frame, will turning the sprocket around so the mirror side faces out kill me, also it is one of the kit supplied 44T sprockets. WILL THIS KILL ME?
Also because of my chain tensioners addiction to playing in the spokes the chain has a slight twist towards the bike in a section, WILL THIS KILL ME?
Thanks for all the help, I would like to live to ride :-||
Alfonzo.....you did good to ask these questions....and I agree....I'd rather be remembered for being alive than a road named after me......

Salty.shft.

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Thanks for all the help, I will be ordering a new chain, and flipping the sprocket tonight., I also needed a new kill switch, I think a 12V toggle with the two posts out the bottom, I can ziptie to the handle bars, no cool covers though.