I just bought this 65 CCM Rambler to motorize

GoldenMotor.com

TandocTools

Nov 24, 2009
KS
But I really love the cranks and 2 speed Bendix hub and want to retain them, so no shift kit for me. How will the 2 speed hub/coaster brake work with a rag joint or one of Jims adapters? It seems like it should still work fine, but I want to make sure first!

Attachments

TandocTools

Nov 24, 2009
KS
I just looked at Jim's page and I don't think any of his adapters will work with this big Bendix hub! What would you do--loose the cool cranks and CCM sprocket and add a shift kit or keep them and go with a properly set-up rag joint? Does Jim do custom work?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you could get a "period correct" bendix single speed hub and lace it in. or find a complete wheel. a regular bendix coaster brake is only slightly larger than a shimano, and Jim should be able to make you one.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I would find a couple new wheels that match ok and set them aside.. those might be worth somthing and you could easilly destroy them with an MB

TandocTools

Nov 24, 2009
KS
The wheels were just rebuilt with ss spokes and the rims were powdercoated black. Are they more fragile for some other reason I don't understand?

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
my experience with MB's is there very hard on rear wheels especially with a Rag joint, not that those are weaker or stronger than a more common wheel.. if they have any kind of value/ rarity and get destroyed, then your out of luck

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
you might end up loosing the Cottered cranks as well, im working on an 80's CCM Esprit and the motor sits very low in the frames geometry, causing the cranks to hit it (N)

however hope is not lost, a think i shift kit could turn out to look very nice! you could spread that frame and use a cassette wheel and standard derailleur setup

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I just looked at Jim's page and I don't think any of his adapters will work with this big Bendix hub! What would you do--loose the cool cranks and CCM sprocket and add a shift kit or keep them and go with a properly set-up rag joint? Does Jim do custom work?
who is jim ? and hw do i get to his page ?

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Jim is owner/ operator of Manic Mechanic motorbike parts.. link to his site, and where you can order an adaptor is on the left side of the screen your looking at

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Jim is owner/ operator of Manic Mechanic motorbike parts.. link to his site, and where you can order an adaptor is on the left side of the screen your looking at
hey thanks!! i just got a net 3 speed (next bicycle) i know it will need an adapter wonder if any of these will work?

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
depends on the hub.. if it is perfectly round, you can check it with a micrometer or caliper. then key in the size into the order form

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Wow, that's an awesome looking vintage bike. And in good shape too! I wouldn't have the heart to add an engine to it myself if I owned it. I'd try to find one in need of a resto. Then I wouldn't feel so bad about modding it.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
its definitley had a resto job done on it, i tell you right now that those cranks should be cottered 3 piece and not one piece.

original sprocket tho :) says CCM on it!