Engine stalls when Idling

GoldenMotor.com

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My engine has been running fine but lately, I noticed that I have gas around the bowl of the carburetor and leaking out of the air filter

This weekend I decided to change the motor mounts (Bolts) and get rid of my master ink and yes the chain was about to fall off, and all the bolts were bent.

I resealed the carburetor with RTV grey

The bike seems to run fine but when I come to a stop the bike stalls after several seconds, It starts with very little effort as well.

I still have the gas leak that seems to form around the bowl of the carburetor
I played with the idle screw and it does not make a difference, The Idle screw work did make a difference previous to this.

I am thinking maybe I need to clean the carburetor and the air filter, and yes I have an inline filer, maybe I should change that too. And I am still running on the original spark plug. I was going to change it after the break in was compleated

I had done over two hundred miles so far with only the regular problems.

Any help would be welcome.

:ride2:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not yet I have Not played around the carb yet. Looks like i need to.

The carb did not leak before only over the last 3 or four ride or so I use the bike daily weather premitting to go to work.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
If it runs ok at high power you are probably alright. Does it leak while running it hard or does it just do that when you are idling? I would think the only problem would be if it'S just really gushing gas out it could be a fire hazard.......................

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It' not gushing gas I cannot tell when it's leaking it does not seem like a large leak. I will watch it on my trip home. I will look for Norms post when I get home.

I am lucky that I work online all day and that this site is not blocked LOL ,
I don't want the network admin to catch on.:D

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks LOL,

I am not worried about the fire hazard it is leaking so little it appears as dry resue on the bottom and side if the bowl.

My gas cap leaks more than the bowl does at this moment. Thankfully I mounted that on the rack, and not over the engine.
And I promise not to smoke a stogie on my ride home.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Carb cleaner will do no good if your float level is wrong or the float has gas inside of it. In fact to really clean you carb you'll need to disassemble it. And if you disassemble it you might as well put it back together as per Normans instructions.......................

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I will go ahead and use the carb cleaner on my commute tomorrow, and take the carb apart on the weekend when I have more time.

It really is the most enjoyable commute of all time for me!

:ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am the worlds worst for riding it home no matter what it is doing. My advice is if it got you there, most likely it will get you home. Some times you just gotta throw the dice and take what comes

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah I have always liked rolling the dice just to see what will happen next, I am always surprised by what happens next! It make life way more interesting. usually something positive happens along the way.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok So I went ahead and took the carb apart tonight the cleaner I added to the tank made some difference but.... I was really worried about doing damage to the engine.

So i too some carb cleaner and poured it out into a container and cleaned all the parts in it. The float was fine so here is a pick of the junk that was living in my carb

I put on a better inline filter, I had a small red one from Canadian tire but I think that on was junk!
i used the Fram one from Walmart the i bought in Massena NY about three weeks ago for just such and occasion.

Thanks guys for the help I will test in the AM I hope i sealed it all back up tight enough.

Mustering no vapor leaks please. :p

Attachments

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So let us know what happens with the carb. Once you get it started you will probably need to adjust the idle screw since I'm sure by now you have changed the setting. Remember run it all the way in then back out 4 1/2 turns to begin.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks Deacon,

I did Remember but it always good to have some great advice.

But alas It is raining here this morning The gods of biking are not ready for me!

No time to test it, and my son has his grade 6 elementary school grad ceremony today
so that that for me for now:ride:

I hope this tread is a help to others in need I will give an update later.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks Deacon,

I did Remember but it alway good to have some great advice.

But alas It is raining here this morning The gods of biking are nor ready for me!

No time to test and my son has his grade elementary school ceremony today
so that that for me for now:ride:

I hope this treads a help to others in need I will give an update later.
They help us all, sometimes we overlook the obvious ourselves in the rush to "make it work" so everything helps us all.