piston rings

GoldenMotor.com

papirican71

Sep 7, 2009
florida
hey all. pedro here from ocala, florida. i have a question and hope that some one here can help. I was doing a total engine tear down, and when i was trying to put the cylinder head back on it would not go. That's when i noticed that the rings from the pistion were kind of sticking out. Well i was trying to get one of the rings to fit more snug on the piston and ended up breaking it. does any one know of a place locally that i can get a replacement ring? and what size i need? i need help asap

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just a cautionary note for when you do get new rings: Did you line up the end gap of the piston rings over the alignment pins in the piston's ring grooves? If not, the alignment pin will keep the piston ring from seating completely in the ring groove.
The alignment pins are there to keep the rings from rotating around the piston.
If allowed to rotate, the open ends of the rings will snag on a cylinder port and ruin the engine.

Deispring

Apr 20, 2009
California
Hey there.... I'm looking for replacement Rings too, for a Raw 66cc motor, and was wondering if a local Scooter Shop would likely have replacement rings.

- Side note, thanks to GearNut for the Note regarding the alignment. My rings broke for the same reason mentioned above, and though I'm not currently in front of the Motor right now and I have no idea where these Alignment Pins are, I'm sure i'll figure it out when I get back home today. That being said, I had no idea there were Alignment Pins, so this is likely why I could not get the Cylinder installed correctly. So Cheers to you for that note, and when I get home I'll be able to look for those pins.
Thanks,
Deispring.