got a trike and i want to put a motor but i need help first

GoldenMotor.com

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
soo i got a trike that has a sound system and new paint job but now its ridiculous heavy i can barly ride it n i want to add a motor with a genorator ive been looking at a 110 cc motor n i was thinkin of putting it in the box and have a muffler hang under the box let me know what you guys think???(ps i can get a 110cc motor 50 bucks with key but its manual...
Heres a photo the back has a door for maintenance if you need any more photos just say n ill snap em in an instant

Last edited:

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011
west side of canada on a rock
Nice trike, unless your planing on having major air flow its going to be hard to keep the motor from over heating in that box. If you have the coin i would suggest a front electric hub, keeping the bike clean.

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
Nice trike, unless your planing on having major air flow its going to be hard to keep the motor from over heating in that box. If you have the coin i would suggest a front electric hub, keeping the bike clean.
Thanks man but i was thinking of this 110CC ENGINE MOTOR AUTO ELEC START ATV DIRT BIKE 152FMH and its air cooled soo cant i just have the air fillter sticking out?? i want it to be gas i think this can be a awesome project
ive been thinking of doing this for years

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011
west side of canada on a rock
Its not the air for the intake i would be worried about. Air cooled motors need air to pass thru the fins of the head. I guess if you had some fans exchanging the air of the box at a decent rate it might work but not sure. Another idea would be a water cooled motor with the rad exposed.

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
what you can do is drill about a 6in hole and install 2, 12v pc fans from radio shack ,one under the seat bringing air in , and the other one in the back taking air out, that way air can pass through the box

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think you need to do more research before you buy a motor. See what others have done. If they are riding down the street now, then what they did you can learn from. Don't be too quick to choose the motor and then try to make the build work around that. Better to make the motor work with the bike you have. The bike is the starting point. How will you transfer power from the motor to the axle? Big question which leads to which engine will do that best.
You may get a great deal on a motor for $50.00 and then have to spend a whole lot more trying to make it work on your trike. Another motor might be cheaper in the long run.
SB

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
there was a person on here that put a custom manic mechanic sprocket adapter on the rear axle which mean you can still mount the motor in the box using a custom rear mount

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
there was a person on here that put a custom manic mechanic sprocket adapter on the rear axle which mean you can still mount the motor in the box using a custom rear mount
That's a thought. 110cc is a lot of motor for a trike. Does that motor have an automatic clutch built in? If so, then you could go directly to the above mentioned sprocket adapter. If not, then you'd need some kind of jack shaft and clutch I would think.
Trikes are inherently less stable to ride than two wheelers, so you might want to think about a really good suspension front fork and gearing it for speeds under 30 mph. Also look to your brakes for good stopping power. You said the bike is heavy now and it will be even heavier with an engine, plus going faster. Go fast = stop fast.
I couldn't bring up the photo you posted so could't see the box. What about some kind of air scoop to direct air through the box while moving and have an "exhaust" or exit point to the rear for the scooped air to pass through. While stopped for any length of time you'd need to think about the electric fans... maybe and maybe not. You'd have to try things out to see if the engine was overheating.
SB

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
yea other ppl isee with motor bikes have the 66cc/80cc motor but i think my bike will blow that motor or i wont go fast i had anther idea but then i saw what happens uphill soo idint like it it was a friction motor and fans Ohh man do igot those 6'' fans i got clear ones blue ones black ones im a technician and i have alot in my inventory but yea i was thinking of a a oiled coll hookup i was thinking of this but ithink its a lil too much for this project (not in price) OILCOOLER like ised its going to be a winter project to keep me bussy but i was thinking of taking a 10'' sub out in the bottom and getting a peace of mdf wood and put it there and mount the motor on the peace of wood where the sub wood be but i can also get my hands on a 49cc 2 stroke gas scooter motor with a generator and keys for same price (but ist the 2 stroke a gas guzzler for bikes)?
but thanks guys that you helping me out i really appreciated

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok, I build trikes with gas motors. I need to see how much room you have inside the box. A cooling fan from a car A/C Heater and some venting for exaust, I could see this work. A titan 4 stroke for power, and a small trailer for the Power Plant would be ideal. Need more Pics. I do things that others say can't be done. (c)

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
Ok, I build trikes with gas motors. I need to see how much room you have inside the box. A cooling fan from a car A/C Heater and some venting for exaust, I could see this work. A titan 4 stroke for power, and a small trailer for the Power Plant would be ideal. Need more Pics. I do things that others say can't be done. (c)
check it out like i sed i have alot of fans let me know what you think i can also get my hands on this motor

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok, a case of no room at the inn, rotfl You want killer tunes and a motor. Won't fit. I would go low and build a "Pusher Frame" . Behind the bike. You have skills, no doubt of that. Enough weight with a motor and gear combo to "push" you. A gas generator for more weight to have traction. Trikes are not very stable above 20 mph. The generator will meet any electrical needs. It can be done, but won't be cheap. (c)

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
Ok, a case of no room at the inn, rotfl You want killer tunes and a motor. Won't fit. I would go low and build a "Pusher Frame" . Behind the bike. You have skills, no doubt of that. Enough weight with a motor and gear combo to "push" you. A gas generator for more weight to have traction. Trikes are not very stable above 20 mph. The generator will meet any electrical needs. It can be done, but won't be cheap. (c)
it has alot of room thought im going to remove that sub you see in the pic and then put a motor and then cut a hole thew the box and cut a part of the shaft i think thats what it called n it could work i mean i have it in my head but just the heating problem i dont

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
it has alot of room thought im going to remove that sub you see in the pic and then put a motor and then cut a hole thew the box and cut a part of the shaft i think thats what it called n it could work i mean i have it in my head but just the heating problem i dont
lol i sounded crazy i ment to cut a hole near the shaft soo i can connect the chain lollafflaff

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok, I had a steel plate made that covers the mounting bolts that would hold a basket in place. 1/4" steel. No flex in it. I use a 80 tooth 8 mm chain and sprockets. Industrial motors will just sit there and run. Don't need the air flow a 2 stroke does. But lack of air to cool it, will kill the motor. Thus the fan to exchange air in the box. Fresh cool outside air and it's happy. I use a Honda GXH-50 motor and Max Torque 1" clutch to power mine. I peddle it to get it going. I am working on a belt drive for it. Sprocket for the axle I had a machine shop make. It's an adaptor the sprocket bolts too. Hope this helped. (c)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
As long as I'm giving up my year of try it and find out, there are 4 stroke gear boxes now that look cool and work! My ideas were cutting edge at the time. Many said can't be done. I love it when people say that:) I proved them wrong. My bikes are made by Schwinn. I can't list all my friends that helped me as I would forget some. Your on the right track! I use a Titan Carb from That'sDax. Duane is a fantastic friend. (c)

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
As long as I'm giving up my year of try it and find out, there are 4 stroke gear boxes now that look cool and work! My ideas were cutting edge at the time. Many said can't be done. I love it when people say that:) I proved them wrong. My bikes are made by Schwinn. I can't list all my friends that helped me as I would forget some. Your on the right track! I use a Titan Carb from That'sDax. Duane is a fantastic friend. (c)
sweet man thanks i mean i think i would have to kill alot of my system but i really wanna own a mb for sure n i want it on this bike n i can get a hold of big car radiator fan for 5 bucks at a flea market i talk the old man down lol but i told him you know what let me see if im even going to need it heres the pic
ill have it on when when i feel its hot so il wire it to a switch dang this seems sooo freaking cool im 15 and soo i got time till im 16 but im going to be 16 in December sooo i have till next spring but thanks man for at least helping but ill make sure its heavy duty rid-able where i can take it for long rides but What do you think should go in the box????

Dropyotop

Sep 9, 2011
glendale heights
sweet man thanks i mean i think i would have to kill alot of my system but i really wanna own a mb for sure n i want it on this bike n i can get a hold of big car radiator fan for 5 bucks at a flea market i talk the old man down lol but i told him you know what let me see if im even going to need it heres the pic
ill have it on when when i feel its hot so il wire it to a switch dang this seems sooo freaking cool im 15 and soo i got time till im 16 but im going to be 16 in December sooo i have till next spring but thanks man for at least helping but ill make sure its heavy duty rid-able where i can take it for long rides but What do you think should go in the box????
its huge but it will fit in there sure and i think im going to make a custom gas tank May be...