what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks bud. She is my world. Such a little punk lol, and she LOVES working on the bikes with me. Right now she is at the "tap on the tire with a crescent wrench" stage, but she's actually getting better at handing me the right tool when I ask :)
70 yrs from now she will be tellin' stories of wrenching with her crazy Dad who took perfectly good bicycles and strapped motors to them. With a grin and a glint in her eyes.

Great, great stuff.....

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
70 yrs from now she will be tellin' stories of wrenching with her crazy Dad who took perfectly good bicycles and strapped motors to them. With a grin and a glint in her eyes.

Great, great stuff.....
One can only hope haha

Just bought new computer for the bike. Nice wireless unit that seems to be working great so far.
Sounds cool, gotta link?

I love seeing what other people use for electronics. I just use a Bell wired thing. I've seen lots of people mounting their phones and using apps but I haven't found a mount that withstood vibration well enough yet

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I copied Rustico Ray's idea of using velcro on the tank to mount a GPS. Works amazingly well even bouncing down dirt roads. When you stop, the GPS pops right off.

Plan on getting a little solar charger. Then it would be ideal.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Rode my 4-stroke Goped today - visited the same cat down the street that a couple of months ago ignored/glared at me while I zipped past them honking my horn to get him out of my path - he was just sitting in the road! (its a "sleepy back-water" residential street - so little traffic).

Well saw him there again - and again he just ignored me while I blasted him with my horn. This time he had company, a little Dochshund, who instead of ignoring me decided to chase me! ----and with a top speed of 18 mph, I had trouble outrunning him.

It was close, but I made out alive without getting mauled.

;-).

my damn rearwheel allen bolts that hold on the rear disc break keep loosening - nearly lost them with the last tow trips (10 mile's odo or so ------- seems to be the magic number for me almost losing my backwheel/brakes).

if I use "thread lock" on em I'm afraid I'll never be able to get them off if I'll evern need to someday.

advice welcome. got 66 miles on her since June. not a bigtime "rider" lol.

also question - how often do I need to lube the chain? - I'm using silicone spray - that ok?

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California

my damn rearwheel allen bolts that hold on the rear disc break keep loosening - nearly lost them with the last tow trips (10 mile's odo or so ------- seems to be the magic number for me almost losing my backwheel/brakes).

if I use "thread lock" on em I'm afraid I'll never be able to get them off if I'll evern need to someday.

advice welcome. got 66 miles on her since June. not a bigtime "rider" lol.
Use the Blue Threadlocker, it is removable :)

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
I've heard that - and that the Red is not.

sorry for ignorance - but how do you removed the blue type? - muscle and acetone I assume.

just asking so I know the details before I put the stuff on my bolts.

thanks for reply BTW.
From their site:

"Cleanup
Clean adhesive residue immediately with a damp cloth. Cured product can be removed with a combination of soaking in methylene chloride and mechanical abrasion such as a wire brush.

For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot."

So basically you're correct, muscle, and a solvent to remove residue. If muscle isn't enough add localized heat and remove while hot.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Hopped on my girly bike (industrial news girl) and attended the "Taste of the Valley Festival"

Old girl has been sitting for months. Just pumped up the tires, primed the carb and the 32cc Tanaka popped to life on the second pull. Rode up to the barricades killed the motor and pedaled right on in. Locked the bike to a stop sign and ate and drank and listened to the bands. Then I went home.

It's so nice to have no drama with your motor bikes - :)

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Hopped on my girly bike (industrial news girl) and attended the "Taste of the Valley Festival"

Old girl has been sitting for months. Just pumped up the tires, primed the carb and the 32cc Tanaka popped to life on the second pull. Rode up to the barricades killed the motor and pedaled right on in. Locked the bike to a stop sign and ate and drank and listened to the bands. Then I went home.

It's so nice to have no drama with your motor bikes - :)
Sounds fun :) Gotta love that 4-stroke reliability

You must be fairly local to me, I make the laser-etched wine crates and wine glasses for Tastes of the Valley brnot

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Old girl is powered by a 2 stroke Tanaka on a Staton friction drive. Tiny little thing, goes well with the whole "girly" theme.

I'm here in Tracy, about 20 miles south of Stockton.

It used to be called the "Tracy Dry Bean Festival" but they've gone upscale now.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Installed my emgo mirror, suspension saddle, SBP throttle and mounted my Cygolite Hotshot today the back of my Ibera PackRack.

I originally had the light on the chainstay because I couldn't find the rack mount. Found it and put it back on.

Now I can run nashbar waterproof panniers on both sides of the rack.

The rocket racing cdi is running better than the stock one.

I mixed opti2 into a gallon of gas but I'm still using the gas currently in my tank

Last edited:

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Today, 14 miles, 432 ml gas, 123 mpg. Checked tire pressures, 35 psig front, 43 back, tires are Gotham with thick tubes and too much slime.

Miles to date are 100.43 and gallons used are 0.878. (100 mpg was a bucket list thing.)

Pumped tires up to 72 psig, both F and R.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Rode about 14 miles, to and from the liquor store, added the opti 2 mix to the rest of the Hp2 mix I had in the tank.

Adjusted my mirror so I can see behind me when I'm riding, lost the clutch bolt that clamps it to be bars, I had adjusted it to put the mirror on and never locked it down.

I adjusted my seat height and I think I like it now. Used my nashbar panniers to bring home some snacks for later.

The SBP throttle felt great.

Only have about 65 miles on the motors something far, adding another 48 miles in the next three days commuting to work and back.

The power still isn't where I think it should not for a stock motor with rocket racing cdi and 44 tooth sprocket. I am 240 and riding it into some winds an up and down hills. Maybe I'm just being hard on the little girl.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Found a bolt to camp the clutch down

Ordered some rtv silicone to seal my magneto case, another rear light to clip on my rack bag as well as a 203mm disc caliper mount.

I originally ordered the wrong mount, I didn't know there was a difference between IR and Post Mount styles.

I will probably order a voodoo expansion chamber too, I know it's not the best, but I can't weld my own, so it's a nice upgrade over stock

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Killed my first magneto today, it confused me at first because the bike ran great, I stopped because the tank had shifted, then I couldn't get it running again.

Make sure choke was off, line had gas, I was so sad. Pushed her up the steep hill home, tired after working, drenched in sweat.

After I got some sleep I dragged her outfit, checked the carburetor, line, made sure everything was tight. Then I replaced the spark plug and the magneto.

I said a prayer, and praise jesus she started right up.

I put the ngk plug back on and it still fired up, so my plug is good.

Used my spare magneto, so I ordered another.

Also, anyone looking for tank mounts for wide top tubes, I found some conduit straps that look exactly like the $6.99 plus shipping, brackets I bought from bikeberry (this is before I heard they were the devil)

I cracked the original bracket when I bent it to fit, been holding until last night.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
went for a nice ride late yesterday evening just before dark, first time I've even started one of my bikes in a while now, was a cool and relaxing cruise for a few miles down the ole dirt road.

We've had nice cool weather here in central Texas this weekend, such a welcome break from the upper 90's - 100+ degrees we have been dealing with, some around here are cold when the temps go from 100 down to the upper 50's to mid and upper 60's but this ole country boy like it, makes me feel like a buck and I kinda go into rut just a little andfeel like gettit outside and doing things.

hoping to ride more as time allows, I'm needing to rebuild the top end of the dax engine on my old 1963 Western Flyer bike, needs new jug and piston, engine still runs but has lost compression due to rings not being seated well and I'm tinking they have lost their tension due to overheating, this is the upper that I run my person best top speed of 50.3 mph with, to many high speed runs on those rings and they have given up the ghost...lol

The engine has low bottom end power because of the timing changes I made to get the high rpms, I dont care about going that fast anymore so Im going back to a more stock configuration that will give me better torque.

Happy safe riding y'all.

Map