what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Nose (electrode) of the plug facing the forward on the bike or toward the carb?

If it's facing toward the front of the bike it retards ignition timing a bit.
I can help but say.......WHAT? on this one, how do you figure rotating the head will change ignition timing?

Just curious..

Map

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

I can help but say.......WHAT? on this one, how do you figure rotating the head will change ignition timing?

Just curious..

Map
Pointing the plug toward the incoming air/fuel mixture helps to increase the timing a tad as well as putting in a projected nose plug.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Personally, I think anyone who says they notice a difference from the clocking of the spark plug in a china girl engine needs to have their meds adjusted. Adding compression by filling the chamber with a projecting spark plug iffy at best, even in these weak kittens.
In any other motor, it's a good way to explore the wonderful world of pre-ignition.
:)

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I noticed a difference in my clock when I changed the plug........

......wait, I see what you did there........:D

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

In my Ram projected nose plugs are installed for emissions purposes.

Then again...that V8 is HOW much larger than these HTs? :D

hmm...5900cc vs 66cc :D

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

I replaced the original guts of my bullet light with parts from a newer style LED light. The LED light's control/switch didn't work, but it was a donor for the LED cluster and the battery holder. The old bullet I found in a bin'o'stuff at a bike repair shop for around $3.00. Unfortunately the plastic internal parts were very brittle to begin with, and there was a lot of corrosion on the old 'spring' contacts for the batteries. The power loss on the old bullet was ridiculous. Two new 'C' cells giving 3.37v combined, and less than 2.0v were making it to the bulb. The light looked good but didn't do much more than that.

So, to widen the hole for the lamp holder in the reflector I used the dremel with a sanding drum and widened the hole a little at a time until the LED cluster would just barely slide into it. The LED cluster is epoxied in place with JB Weld.

The original switch on this old bullet was salvageable, I drilled a small hole in the tab on the off-side of the contact to solder the pos/+ lead to from the battery box. I spliced on to the old wire and connector and ran that in to the LED Unit, then neg/- to neg/- on the battery box. Soldered and heat-shrinked every connection. There's no loss now, 6.56v at both the batteries and the cluster. I wrapped the 'AAA' battery pack in some foam and packed it into the housing. When the front is closed and latched, everything is nice and firm.

The difference in brightness is staggering, can't wait to see what it's like on the road at night.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I replaced the original guts of my bullet light with parts from a newer style LED light. The LED light's control/switch didn't work, but it was a donor for the LED cluster and the battery holder. The old bullet I found in a bin'o'stuff at a bike repair shop for around $3.00. Unfortunately the plastic internal parts were very brittle to begin with, and there was a lot of corrosion on the old 'spring' contacts for the batteries. The power loss on the old bullet was ridiculous. Two new 'C' cells giving 3.37v combined, and less than 2.0v were making it to the bulb. The light looked good but didn't do much more than that.

So, to widen the hole for the lamp holder in the reflector I used the dremel with a sanding drum and widened the hole a little at a time until the LED cluster would just barely slide into it. The LED cluster is epoxied in place with JB Weld.

The original switch on this old bullet was salvageable, I drilled a small hole in the tab on the off-side of the contact to solder the pos/+ lead to from the battery box. I spliced on to the old wire and connector and ran that in to the LED Unit, then neg/- to neg/- on the battery box. Soldered and heat-shrinked every connection. There's no loss now, 6.56v at both the batteries and the cluster. I wrapped the 'AAA' battery pack in some foam and packed it into the housing. When the front is closed and latched, everything is nice and firm.

The difference in brightness is staggering, can't wait to see what it's like on the road at night.
I've done some experimenting with some led lights, some of them set up with the right reflector project the light very good while other will almost blind you when you look at them but the do not proj ct the light well, in my experience in normally takes at least a 5watt led to give good projected light.

I hope that set up works out great for and ill be curious to know how it works out.

Map

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Got my new Triple Tree Forks and right away cut the steer tube off and welded on the right size one.

Still need to run two more welds and then mod the top bracket.

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun

Personally, I think anyone who says they notice a difference from the clocking of the spark plug in a china girl engine needs to have their meds adjusted. Adding compression by filling the chamber with a projecting spark plug iffy at best, even in these weak kittens.
In any other motor, it's a good way to explore the wonderful world of pre-ignition.
:)
The bike is noticeably faster. better response, better top speed. top speed the before the switch 35, its now 40.(speeds off the speedometer) We made the same change on another bike with similar results.

Rotating the head so the Spark Plug is on the front (nearer to the front tire.) is the only change we made.
I don't know why it works, but it did for me.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Played around with my generator mount. I had to come up with my own mounts for this generator because the generator was given to me without all the hardware. Recently someone gave me a generator mount, but it didn't have the generator in a good position, and a corner of the generator wheel was digging a groove into my tire. I went back to my original mounts, and now the generator sits where I want it. It shouldn't wear into my tire anymore.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

There ya go.... cant go wrong with some extra fuel on board
Yeah, I ran out of fuel once a couple miles from the nearest gas station. With the 4 stroke engine, the bike weighs 100lbs, not fun to pedal.

I could have just carried some gas in a bottle, but this was more fun

And a nice nozzle, in case ya got's to put a fire out or water the veggies (^)

See ya next weekend VIKTR

dnut
Funny thing about the nozzle. I had bought a standard cap for 2 dollars at home depot and was going to have that hooked up to a dirt bike vent that would have been another 10 dollars... then found the nozzle at the dollar store and never looked back :p

See you Sunday

That is so cool Viktr.
Thanks, I was quite proud of myself :)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I went back to my old brake light (same bulb, just a different housing, this one is an old yamaha turn signal the other one was a trailer stop/tail light that I decided I didn't like the look of), and tried to get my headlight switch working better. It now appears that there is some sort of slight short in the switch itself, because sometimes when I throw it it lights up right away and sometimes has to be wiggled. Its the same as it was before I played around with it, so I figure it has to be the switch itself. No big deal, I guess. Once the light is on it usually stays on, so I guess I'm good.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Had to repair the exhaust flange since I whacked the snot out of the pipe on a parking block. Added a thicker flange behind the stocker and welded it from inside to seal the boltholes too. Also added a second MUCH better weedeater gasket.
Working great so far...

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas

Got my spare set of wheels in the mail with correct gearing. Already had the tires. My next project is to learn how to true the wheels.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Learned how to true a wheel finally. I have read bits and pieces about how to do it, but I didn't specifically look anything up today before attempting it, and I didn't watch any videos or anything. I just had an idea in my head of how to do it, and decided to give it a go. I grabbed the spare frame down in the garage (eventually I'll need some sort of wheel stand as the spare frame isnt mine) and used a pair of needle-nose vice grips as a feeler. I clamped the vice grips around the frame pointing toward the edge of the rim and spun it. I didn't have a tire on it, so it was easy to hear the rim scraping the tips of the needle nose. Wherever the rim scraped the needle nose, I would tighten a spoke or two on the opposite side, about a quarter turn at a time. I did this on both sides of the rim. Once the rim didn't scrape anymore, I'd tighten each spoke a quarter turn to get better tension, then go back to checking for trueness, repeating the process until the spokes were evenly tight and the rim didn't scrape the needle nose anymore. It's time consuming, but not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. The rim may not be PERFECTLY true, but its as close as I can get it, and I can't tell by eyesight. To clarify, I did bolt the wheel to the frame. I tried it without bolting the wheel down first, but the wheel would move slightly, making it impossible to accurately true the rim. Now that the rim is true and the spokes are evenly tensioned, I just need to get a sprocket adapter that will fit this hub in order to use this rim. Tomorrow I'll be truing the pos huffy rim thats on my bike now, so I can at least drive it until my new adapter gets here.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

what a sense of accomplishment,eh?

i know the first time i trued a wheel it was great.
i tinkered with bikes when i was young,and making my wheel run true was an obsession.
good bearings and true wheels always made for a better ride.

never did it for a long time til i got my first motor.it is nice i can clamp a dial guage to my fork and have at it.