66cc NT Air Leak / Run Away Engine

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've always used thin white lithium grease inside my cables, even when growing up in Chicago, and I never had any problems with it sticking. (except when full of water and frozen, don't ask)
I grease the inner cable before I assemble the sheath to get full coverage.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've always used thin white lithium grease inside my cables, even when growing up in Chicago, and I never had any problems with it sticking. (except when full of water and frozen, don't ask)
I grease the inner cable before I assemble the sheath to get full coverage.
gets a bit tricky with the throttle cable : )

before I started using the pressure cable oilers (say about the late 70s) I did it the old school way

poke a hole in the bottom of a baggie, shove an inch or so of the cable outer into the hole, tie the baggie tight around the hole with rubber bands or safety wire, put oil in the baggie and hang the baggie in the garage overnight till oil runs out the bottom of the cable

messy, but it works OK

next week we'll discuss soaking your chain in a pan of boiling axle grease like we did in the 50s : )

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Holy CRAP! Where's all this come KCvale? I HAVE a Skyhawk. And what the **** makes you think I've made 'Performance Mods'? I have a standard 66cc that I've made minor adjustments on based on a lean-condition and a mysterious run-away issue. Hence, my positing a query based on an unusual condition which I'm confident a few very intelligent mechs on here have come across and can share a solution with me on.

In any case, you knuckle-head, I COMPLETELY disassembled by baby this afternoon and checked all her seals and gaskets, as I did to the NT. For good measure, I replaced the head, head-gasket, base-gasket, and while I has the case split, I replaced the flywheel-bearings for good measure. I STILL have the lean behavior as well as the deiseling (thought I'd solved it). Anyway' the engine temperature has been within nominal limits, and I'm still running it; and it's running superbly except for the run-away. In fact, I' on the road nw.I am baffled but want to figure out WHY it's doing what it's doing. If your answer to engine problems is "just buy a new one, you're on the wrong site. Also, I can get a new engine for $89 delivered, so suck it. ;)
You had me laughing my alls off ! You told him!!! I didn't see any. What performance mods was he talking about ? Must have been a different post you wrote some place on here. It must be nice to just toss money at a problem to make it go away. Then again like you said that's not what this site is about entirely the opposite i might add. I love tinkering it gives me a reason to use my XXL large non latex gloves. :/ that's why mine has close to 3400 on her now.

My 66 probably has more air leaks than a screen window I've opened and closed my compartments so many times ,I dont even have gaskets any more how ever she still runs like a top, it idles nice and low. If i just hit the kill switch and do not keep it pressed for a second or 2 after is stops running it will fire right back up again. Any way my other motor was not so lucky had the same issues as your mentioning come to find out the head had a crack on the thin part that sits into the lower unit , you know what I'm talking about the two fins that actually seat into the crank housing I will show you a picture. Any way I had to buy a new head and that solved it $15 dollars vs $89 = happy wife!

see crack

Crack kills

avoid the crack!

The agony of da feet

The x ray was my left ankle after falling through the basement stair's carrying a 250 lb 2.5 cubic f.t.acid neutralizer This X-Ray was 8 years after the hardware was installed See the white line across the bottom of my ankle My foot was basically broken off and the bone on the right had a spiral fracture from bolt to bolt

It's amazing because the smaller bone was all fragmented but over the years some how it all came back together there had to be over 100 bone fragments, I asked the Dr. why he left the bone chunks in there he said "In some cases they refuse themselves" I was like yea your just to lazy to get it all out . Shows how stupid I was back then ...

The human body is amazing.
I was back at work in 90 days. Don't ask me why I put that in here . I stumbled across it in my Photobucket and now here it is I hope no one minds

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that beta version of photobucket doesn't work in my browser (I just get a blank page), but those small pics in your post look more like the barrel wall was cracked rather than the head ???

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Crassius, that's not his head, it's his left tibia/fibula.

Nice knuckle-dusters BTW, Jumpa. I have a two-knuckler I carry around "just in case".

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just heavier than most riders, and my engine's higher operating temperatures and periodic castor-induced carbon buildup are contributing to my run-on. My engine's lean behavior appears to have been mitigated by changing my fuel:oops:il to 50:1 (87-octane:standard 2-cycle/castor 80:20). Just the other night, I'd posted about a glob of oil getting into my carb-bowl resulting in severe leaning of the mix, and subsequently causing my engine to run-away, and operate up at about 475F temporarily. All good now. My engine runs pretty strong, and operates normally at about 375F now, plug a delicious cocoa-color.

Jumpa: I suffered a lefty tib/fib fracture this past Thanksgiving; still have the hardware in. When I saw your X-ray, I thought you mighta been stalking me. Mine happened on my bike. Was doing about 2MPH too...puttering around some work-vans that were on a bike-path. Put my foot out to steady myself in some soft-grass...next thing, I was on my ass. I was more embarrassed than hurt. My motorized bicycle was a lifesaver though. After the cast was put on, I couldn't drive standard. I could, however, still ride the motorized bicycle; I just strapped my crutches to the frame with bungee-cords when I was out.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Kioshk are you heavier than 297 lbs I'm 6'5" so I do not look it I carry it well the wife says !! I guess that's what matters right??
lol I can see those crutches now strapped to your bike & I'm not stalking either !! My cane fits well in the same place or my fishing rod , I did that in July of 02 & I still have the hardware in as well Dr, said no need to take it out unless it bothers you once in while I will get a burning sensation where the screw goes in on my inner ankle bone and it i twang it look out it's like a tuning fork of pain !! I'm sure you know what I'm talking about there catch it just wrong on the foot board and YEOWWWWW hurts
!!! I do not know why he cant see my photo bucket I upgraded to the newer format. First I've heard of that. Knuckle saver no it's a belt buckle ..yea that's it a belt buckle had it many many years. No more breaking my hand on stupid people & Thank god haven't had to use them. Also in that pic you can see my 100 year old CASE XX 2 Finn fighting knife, & I do not fight with it" I don't fight " that's just what they call it for some reason , but I'm ready if the need be, I also carry a set of hand cuffs

Last edited: