what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Ok, well save your pennies and get the Dax later. You can save the old one for a "girlfriend bike" for your wife or s.o. My wife likes hers. She will ride bikes now because she can motor whenever she gets tired.

iflyos

Sep 14, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC

It was nice out today, and I got home from work while the sun was still up, so I pulled mine out, and filled it with fresh fuel, double checked everything, and took off pedaling...and pedaling...and pedaling..and it didn't want to start. So, back to the house, and check once again, fire, choke working, throttle working, petcock on the tank flowing, new fuel filter looks good, AHHA..its the darn valve on the Speed carb..somebody forgot to turn it on:-||

After I berated "somebody" I got back on, and wonder of wonders, she fired right up and purred happily. I let it warm up for a minute, and then rode around the neighborhood a bit. It sure felt nice to have my toy back! dnut

I just hope the weather continues to get nicer, so I can enjoy more after work rides. I get so tired of being cooped up in my service truck all day.

Tim

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Well I put another 20+ miles on the old Black Bike today, made a trip into town, stop by the bank, then went over to my local bike shop and bought a new 24'' tire, a thick thorn resistant tube and a new rear haul whatever rack for this old black bike, the rack wasn't really the type for this bike, but with a little southern engineering I just took a piece of 1/8'' flat strap I had and made use of a hole that was already in the frame and fixed a bracket to secure the front of the rack, not at all fancy but functional, which is what I always shoot for anyway.

Boy Oh Boy...! I forgot just how good this one cruises down the highway since I put the 32T rear sprocket on, this little engine has around 1500 miles on it now and it's the only one I haven't made any mods to accept rejetting the carb and building the little baffled shorty exhaust it has on it, it also has some of the clutch pucks I made for it, I plan to pull the head pretty soon and install one of the better wrist pin bearings I have in this engine before that gives me a problem.

this bike settles in and just purrs...... at 30-35mph, my favorite of all 3 of my bikes to hit the road on, has a comfortable seat, and the Wald mini ape bars make it a pleasure to ride, everything about it seems to be better since I took the 26'' wheel off the back and put the 24'' with the 32T sprocket I weigh 205lbs and i pulls me great, hills and all.

The fella at my bike shop is super cool with my bikes, he even got his big book of bikes out today and was showing me bikes that he would love to see me put an engine on, he just really like all things Bicycle no matter what it is and that really makes it enjoyable when I go by to get some parts & pieces from him.

Anyway Guys & Gals, just thought I'd share my day with the old Black Bike.

Texas dusty dirt road picks of ole Blacky below... after the rack install this evening.

Peace, map

Attachments

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas

Looking at the picture I'd say you did a fine job on the rear bike rack. The bike looks very comfy and I can see why you enjoy riding it.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I installed a new plastic tool box on my dax drive (for the one my kid broke last week), rode a while, and got a new spark wire and boot for my grubee. Had a nice ride. The drive through kitchens here allow mabs, so I can get tacos, burgers, chicken fried steak, and desserts from different shops and eat it all at once.

I used a leftover gear cable and housing when I put my bike together, got to finally get around to a new teflon cable and good housing. I think I'll get a v-brake noodle too, to smooth out the bend just before the carburetor.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I was going to do just that, but I figured that this was cheaper, faster, and if the switches ever fail I have 2 spare already as they are sold in a bag of 4.
It's a win-win situation for me.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

I went by tractor supply and picked up #41 master links, Im going to change the chain on my silver bike over from 415. I like the 41, the chain from t/s is very well made at a great price. 21$ buys 10ft of chain and four master links. I changed over my other bike with the other half of the chain last month.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Thanks vincent,

It was just a quick fix to get the rack on the bike but it's strong enough & secure, I will need to put some paint on the brace/bracket when I get a chance or it will rust up since it's just bare steel.

Yes this old bike is very comfortable even though it has no suspension other than the really soft Cloud 9 seat, best seat I've used so far, it's the perfect shape for me, I do lots of riding on rough roads as can be seen in the pic if you notice how dusty my bike is, our dirt roads in these parts of Texas are white coleche base, great for roads but the dust is as fine as corn starch and sticks to everything, here where I live it's 3 miles to the nearest pavement one way and around 2 miles to pavement another direction, nothing can be kept clean around here.

Peace, map

brnot

Looking at the picture I'd say you did a fine job on the rear bike rack. The bike looks very comfy and I can see why you enjoy riding it.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

mapbike, how did you reconfigure your brakes for the 24" wheel? Did you just use a bracket to move the caliper down, or did you move it and add a cross brace?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

hcs,

I just have extentions made from pieces of 3/4'' Alum. angle material, it works great, but I haven't rounded the corners off and shaped them yet so it doesn't look so rigged, last summer when I did it, I wasn't sure what I was going to do, so I just took the pieces of angle, did some quick measuring, and drilled a couple hole in each extention, one hole to hold the angle secure on the caliper and another for the brake pad, although rough looking right now, this set up has proven to be pretty bullet proof so far.

Tomorrow I will take a close up pic. and post it here, it's a very simple mod, just a drill and a hacksaw is all I used for them, I do plan to add one more mod though.

The extra length of the caliper arms puts a bit more torque on the main caliper pivot/mounting bolt, so I plan to make two stops that will not allow the caliper arms to torque forward more than they should, this will also be a simple mod. but I'm just now getting geared up to do some work on my bikes again and I just haven't taken the time to finish what I started with this mod. last year.

I probably have about 200 miles on this set up without a hitch so I know it will work just fine for the long term once I get the stops in place to prevent long term over torquing against the caliper bolt.

Another way I started to do this was to just weld a piece of 1/2'' plate steel between the tubes so I could bring the entire caliper down to align correctly for the 24'' wheel, the only reason I didn't do that on this bike is because I didn't want make it for a 24'' rear wheel only, I still have my original 26'' USA made wheel that came on this bike, and by doing it the way I have the bike becomes more versatile.

If I was going to be riding on some dirt trails or some extremely hilly areas I can just pop my 26'' wheel back on with a 41t or 44T spocket on it and put my extra chain on that is already the correct length, I can then remove 2bolts which will remove the caliper extentions and then I'd put a spare set of brake pads on and I'm good to go for better low end power and I still have my rear brakes for the 26'' wheel, my idea for this was to keep this old mountain bike multi purpose.

I 'll get a pic up asap.

Peace, map

mapbike, how did you reconfigure your brakes for the 24" wheel? Did you just use a bracket to move the caliper down, or did you move it and add a cross brace?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Here is a pic of the brake pad extension, it is larger than it needs to be which will be remedied soon, it is also important to NOT drill to hole that attaches the extension to the caliper to close to the upper edge, if that is done the extension can rotate foward possible and cause a big problem and no brakes....

This is not a fancy mod by any means, but it is affective and works great if you wnat the bike to be able to use multipal rear wheel sizes.

Very simple, I will post another pic once I get the extensions smoothed up and the extra unneeded length removed below the brake pad, this mod would hardly be noticed once streamlined and all painted the same color.

Peace, map

Attachments

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I see how it works, but I am surprised if it doesn't reduce your brake leverage significantly. Thanks for the photo.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

My kickstand broke today on my beach bike! (it was the cheapo that came off a walmart Schwinn.) The hollow aluminum tube broke inside the hinged bracket. The bike just started leaning over, then a little more, then a little more until I reached over and caught it.

I think I have a leftover Greenfield somewhere.

The rag joint donut is starting to age, looking forward to a replacement, probably the Howard joint. Tired of spending money on this china kit, but tired of the rag joints too.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I don't notice any difference in pressure needed to apply brakes, the extension only moves the brake pad down approx. 1" lower than it was on the 26'' wheel, not enough to make a notiacble difference.

The wider HD Brake Pads I have on the bike probably helps also.

Peace, map

I see how it works, but I am surprised if it doesn't reduce your brake leverage significantly. Thanks for the photo.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I made another NOS looking killswitch for my wife's bike, found another old reflector bracket and super-glued the safety switch onto it. I haven't done the boost bottle mod on her bike though. Probably will just leave it alone since she doesn't ride it much and has the 1" roller.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

where u buy this engine kit? and how much for one? it's 80cc?
here's one thats for sale in Guangdong China

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-GAS-MO...porting_Goods_Scooters_LE&hash=item2a175be616

Here's another for sale in Guangdong China

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80CC-MOTOR-...680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bf090c38

Here is one for sale in Hong Kong

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69CC-80CC-B...448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6bd1ec10

hope this helps, you should be able to find these kits very easy being you live right there where they are all made.

Peace, map