what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Thanks Dan, I also put the fenders back on my chrome cruiser today.

Check out my fix for the un-reliable tabs.
Wayne Z

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

very foggy this morning when i went and got a gallon gas for my usual weekly mix. re-checked the repairs i made yesterday( replaced rear motor mount studs, fixed exhaust leak with gasket maker) then covered him back up..suppose to rain so we will ride tommrow:)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Took the main MB for coffee yesterday, and thought about testing out and breaking in the huffy 50 slant today,

but opted to pedal the ol '67 Peugeot PX10- shorts and short sleeve cycling jersey-

mid-70's and partly cloudy- it's warmed up again in Florida for awhile...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Was 40F here today! Long ride to do a MPG test. 27 miles on 32 Ozs. Thats .843 miles to the ounce! Or 108 MPG but former sounded cooler.

OH! broke a rear spoke on the pedal side! How is that possible? Some one else did it recently and I can't remember who so I can ask what they think.

Also lost my muffler. All of a sudden at the end of a long down hill it sounded like an HD horn, call to arms was blearing. Look back and my rubber muffler is bouncing down the street. It got some good air, snork. Yet another advantage to the no patent pending dansco rubber muffler. It don't scuff, it don't scratch but it do bounce. (threaded it back on and rode away)

.flg.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

With that huge sproket that's pretty good mileage, but with a 36 you'd get more, especially not opewning the throttle as much.

just sayin'

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Me Kat? I had thought about it but has the bare minimum low end now. Engine tops out around 5000 RPM. Have a 56T rear sprocket. Have a few 48s around but think that would be way to low. Since I have to re-lace the wheel, might try it. Thanks. Sunday in the shop/garage is Heaven. NPR on the radio, wrench in hand. And it's warm today!
The Aqua Teen, Hunger Force sales team is still telling folks I have to pedal start. Be funny if I really had to.

Sick of messing with chains. That bike has round chain stays so really should make up some kind of chain tensioner. I play around a lot. Chain pictured had 3 master and one half links at one time. Big on building. Low on finishing, lol.

Been doing a lot of city ridding. Normally I leave the bike in what ever gear suits the Terrain. But having to accelerate at car speeds, been going threw all the gears. (7) Dunno why it never occurred to me to do this. But now I am usually slowing for the next light b4 the car, truck or bus catches up to me.

All that to say thanks for the thought.

.flg.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Dan - I broke a spoke on the pedal side of the hub. I pedal pretty hard when it is my turn to go at a busy four way stop where two four lane roads meet. I will stand and pedal a couple of hard strokes before letting out the clutch.
That wheel also had a year or more of trail riding on it so it was not such a great choice.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area

Yesterday I ditched the rear caliper brake in favor of V brakes (welded on the posts and put the parts on along with a brake light switch). Huge difference in stopping with two Vs on the bike.
Was testing/ riding in the wet and it slowed better than dry weather previously.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany

A new set of tires mounted ( Schwalbe Fat Frank 28"x2.00", creme colored)
and a very old headlight with high- and lowbeam rebuilt....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Screwed up...And a warning:
The kill button was sticking occasionally so I thought, 'hey, I'll just spray a little electrical contact cleaner and lubricant into the switch and fix it'...WRONG!

The red plastic button that holds the contacts turned to goo. The contact cleaner I used said "safe for plastic" on the label. Guess they didn't test it on the plastic used in the Chinese kill switch. It reacted as if I'd used some strong solvent. Instead of lubricating, it dissolved the plastic button. Luckily I had a spare and just finished installing it. Bottom line: Be careful what you use to lube a sticky kill switch.

Before I put the new switch on I took it apart and lubricated it with a silicone grease...I know it's safe for plastic.
Tom

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

i ride mine every day .. i tighten her up all the time and i am working on a quiet exhaust but i need to know the bolt size to the motor mounts.. mine vibrated out. can someone help me ?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Screwed up...And a warning:
The kill button was sticking occasionally so I thought, 'hey, I'll just spray a little electrical contact cleaner and lubricant into the switch and fix it'...WRONG!

The red plastic button that holds the contacts turned to goo. The contact cleaner I used said "safe for plastic" on the label. Guess they didn't test it on the plastic used in the Chinese kill switch. It reacted as if I'd used some strong solvent. Instead of lubricating, it dissolved the plastic button. Luckily I had a spare and just finished installing it. Bottom line: Be careful what you use to lube a sticky kill switch.

Before I put the new switch on I took it apart and lubricated it with a silicone grease...I know it's safe for plastic.
Tom
Have not tried it I wounder what a bit of spray silicone lubricant would do. I think that would be safe.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany

Against the kill-switchproblem i use an 1930`s or 40's motorbike lightswitch with a hornbutton. This part was made from an early type of plastic that's called BAKELITE. He will never die....look at ebay !!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

i ride mine every day .. i tighten her up all the time and i am working on a quiet exhaust but i need to know the bolt size to the motor mounts.. mine vibrated out. can someone help me ?
6mm x1 x whatever length you need. I always suggest eliminating the studs and nuts and going with Allen head cap screws.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Thanks WheelBender. Could not for life of me remember who else had done that. (broke a spoke on bike drive side) Mine looked like it got pulled threw. Really odd. Have been mad pedaling but they are kinda made for that? lol.

Went shopping for 12G spokes. LBSs were closed. I am gonna try and get a set to fit a regular wheel by drilling out the holes on the rim and hub. The only really HD rear wheels I can find are coaster brake. I just prefer freewheel.
Spent after noon swapping out rear wheel. I can't figure this out. Instead of just putting the 56T back on, I put on a 44T just to test. (couldn't find any 48s Kat. have to be at least a few here some where) To my great surprise, took off seemingly about the same as the 56T. Did not seem to accelerate as fast but in the few blocks I took her, (was well after dark on a Sunday night and didn't want to annoy our happy lil town) She got up to 30MPH which cold, is normal. Am just shocked. I expected and by the math should have had no get-up-n-go and toped out at 40. Was a quickie ride just to see if she could take off with out pedaling. (cracks me up. "well I read...")) Have to test tomorrow but was geared for 54T rear. Any one have a low 50s toothed sprocket they want to sell?

Thanks again for the thought Kat. I still can't believe it works.

This is funny. Part of the reason for not going farther was a strange vibration. Climb off and look at her rear-end. I had only hand tightened the rear wheel. The only thing holding it on was a sense of duty, habit and the chains.

"How'd he die?"
"Natural selection and the Good Lord thinning the herd"

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca

how in the **** did you get to 30mph with a 56t WTF!!! So if im running a 36t, 20 less teeth, i should be doing at least 50 mph - HOW IN THE **** did you get that motor to spin like that?