Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Well I do not advocate using a drill press for milling.I think my post was taken
from context in that regard.I was implying that mills are used for much more
than just milling.When I said a drill press can be used as a mill I was talking
counter boring & such.

A good drill press with taper collets can be used with a boring head to bore
holes also.But drill chucks are just that, there made for drilling.So that's where I was going with this.

Fly

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
i've seen those little 12v micro mills and lathes and I almost bought one off ebay last year but decided not to after doing more reading on them. They're really small and not very rigid so they would work good on plastics like delrin or wood but have limited use on metals, some of the softer aluminum alloys would probably be ok, but the harder alloys or mild steel might chatter. What's good about them is their size and light weight, and they would be excellent for practicing on machinist's wax or someone could use it to make a part they intend to cast in aluminum then do the clean up with it once the casting is done. I was even thinking about getting one then filling those aluminum square tubing rails with machinist's wax to add more rigidity so it could process metals a little better.
They also make some of those micro mill/lathe/drilling machines out of all aluminum with no plastic parts for the structure, but they cost as much as a HF mini mill or lathe. It would be really neat to have one like that, but I wouldn't expect too much from it. I saw one kit on ebay last year that had all the attachments in one kit like a small rotary table, dividing plates, and a few other highly desired goodies so if someone is starting out and does most their work with plastics, woods, or soft metals, I'm sure one of these would do just fine on smaller items. I'll try to post a link to the all metal ones I saw last year when I get home...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Here's one of the plastic "8 in 1" machines but a quick search on ebay should net you some that are all metal and lots of attachments for various projects, mostly for wood, plastics, and some aluminum processing.

I really think if someone got one of these kits and filled all the rails with machinist's wax it wouldn't add too much weight to the machine but it would add quite a bit more rigidity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Multip...802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdeac558a

Still need to get the link from home to the good opnes like this that are made in Europe that aren't the chinese copycats, those are the ones that are all metal but that's also reflected in the price.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's kinda what I was thinking too... those micro mills and multi tools are perfect for model making or maybe for training youngsters who might be interested in machining since the concept is there, these type machines are capable as long as you stay within their cabilities, and they're compact and inexpensive...
I wouldn't try to make a cylinder head with one but for model making or making miniatures etc they would probably work.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I do like my little HF mini lathe, but may convert it to the 7x14 size by buying the longer bed, and a nice 4 jaw chuck would work really well on it too. I've heard you can put up to a 5" chuck on these and there are several improved type tool holders avaqilable out there... the tool holder it comes with is as close to useless as it comes, but will get you by when just starting out.
What I do when I use that tool holder is put a cutter on one side and secure it, then put a 5/16" piece of bar stock on the opposite side of the holder to increase rigidity then I set the gibs a little more on the tight side since the compound rest can move quite a bit. It can cut really accurately as long as I don't try to cut too deep in one pass, do the work as close to the chuck as possible and use the live center to help stabilize the work. A steady rest would be a really good investment for these little machines too since it'll prevent the work from flexing in the middle.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dave, The QCTPs and tool holders are awesome and can get a set for around 100 bucks. Just so nice to have that fine of adjustment of height and ease of swapping tools. Really great investment, me thinks.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yes I'm definitely getting that tool holder as soon as I get the chance, the one that's on it now is pretty much useless and I find myself stacking up shim stock all the time to get it just the right hight so everything is centered... It would be MUCH easier to just do an adjustment and keep going whenever swapping out cutters. it does work once the hight is established with the shim stock, but it also flexes just enough to be noticeable on really fine cuts so I also find myself shimming up the other side of the tool holder or just putting another cutter on the opposite side if I need to turn anything harder than brass.
It does work and will get a beginner by, but it's definitely more time consuming... I know littlemachineshop.com has a lot of goodies I've been looking at for this little lathe like that quick change tool rest which is #1 on my list for it, but they also have the metal change gears, larger 4 jaw chuck, the 14" conversion bed, and they even have a DRO setup and CNC conversion goodies as well.
I'll probably get a small mill first, but I do fully intend to upgrade the lathe now that I'm using it more.