Looking for a sporty motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

evolutiongts

Jan 30, 2013
socal
Hi guys I'm new to the motorized bike world.

But as a former motorcyclist, I've owned a 250 ninja as well as a GSXR-750. Unfortunately a accident left me with a fractured wrist which is healing very well.

I don't intend on riding motorcycles anytime soon, but I am looking into a building a 2-stroke bicycle, which is small, lightweight, powerful, and most of all handles well and has extreme lean angles.

Would a Crusier like a Genesis Onyx provide great handling, braking, and lean

Or would I need a mountain bike? Thanks

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
A mountain bike would be a better choice for that. The cruisers are designed for just that: cruising. They are not designed to be ridden aggressively. But there are those of us who do ride that as such. I, myself, am one of said individuals. ( :D )

I would to to Wally world and start pulling bikes out and see what I like. Even if you don't buy a cheap bike, you can use them to figure out what the general angle will be.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
That bike should work but I would recommend a bike with a front shock and a great pair of hydrallic disc brakes. The front shock will help with that dreaded numb feeling your hands gets on long rides especially since you injuried your wrist.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Craig's List is also a good source for bikes, just try to avoid aluminum frames (take a magnet with you to check) and do a thorough visual inspection on the welds to make sure they're all good. If I remember correctly, as long as the seat tube is 15" long, you should have room to mount the motor. If you can find something with 5 1/2" (I think) between the back of the left crank and the back of the right you'll have no issues with clearance for the pedals.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Glad to have you on the site! Sorry about your wreck, but glad you are healing well. After 5 years of not riding a motorcycle, I just picked up a new CBR250R a couple weeks ago for commyting duty, loving being back in the saddle. Hopefully you will be able to ride again soon, should you choose to!

I am sure some of the racers on this forum will be able to answer your question better, but I dare say that they would not recommend a Walmart bike for an aggressive build. I think it would be tough to get your knee down (without crashing) on a bike that does not have a really good suspension, and even then not sure how feasible it is on bicycle tires.

What motor are you going to use? You mention "powerful", so I am assuming it is not a China Girl, so maybe something like the KTM clone or a Morini? You have to make sure the frame and wheels will withstand the power, and better brakes you have already mentioned.

Good luck, and I look forward to your build thread!

BTW, you are lucky to be in SoCal (for many reasons, I love it out there), there are a ton of great MB builders around you. Depending on your budget and whether you want to go through the build process yourself, you might be happy with a pre-built Boxer if you can find one!

Last edited:

evolutiongts

Jan 30, 2013
socal
Thanks everyone for the advise

Since its my first bike, I'm probably wont go that extreme, but I am looking for a capable road bike.

The Genesis 29 Mountain Bike looks good, front suspension and disk brake up front.

My budget is limited unfortunately so it would probably have to be a china girl motor 2 stroke 66cc for the powerplant.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
The Genesis isn't a bad bike if you get a good one to begin with.
Fitting the 66cc is tight IIRC. 66cc engines can surprise you if you get a good engine from the start. Then, after break-in, you start adding parts. :D

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
heres my 29' genesis astra i built. i must say im happy with how long the bike has lasted. i built it in spring and im just having to replace components (tires, rear rim, derailleur, pedals, and brake pads) the tire lasted me almost a year and now that i think about it thats impressive.. heres the bike -

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Just my 2 cents: i would mount a motor on a bike with 26 inch wheels (unless you are a really tall fellow). You may find yourself experimenting with different tires to find a set that is durable and suitable to your local weather. The 26 inch tires are generally cheaper than the 29ers and you have a larger variety of treads and tire compounds to choose from.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
I have a Genesis 29 frame if you want it

My first build was a Genesis 29 but the derailleur and rear rim were eaten by the chain so I salvaged parts onto a 26 inch full suspension bike

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you want a sporty bike you're going to want 20" wheels. Low center of gravity makes transitions easier because the bike leans quicker and is more nimble in esses.

The wheels themselves will accelerate quicker on a 20 bike because less inertia too.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
"extreme lean angles" is kinds tough to get out of a bike with an average top speed of 40mph and skinny bicycle tires (compared to wide m/c tires. )

a lower center of gravity, lower seat, lower bars, etc are needed, and you won't find that on a walmart bike.

check out the racer's bikes on here, and find the youtube videos of our races and you'll see the limits we have now.

you'll never get anything close to the handling or speed of a m/c unless you build something yourself that pushes the limits of a motorized "bicycle."

check out jeff's bikes (culvercityclassics) and scotto's for something closer to a motorcycle. they ain't cheap or easy to build, obviously...

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
.Get yourself a nice mountain bike with 26'' wheels thats got an alluminum frame.if your gonna go with steel make sure its cromoly.get the lightest bike you can.for high performance your gonna need good tires.shwalbe,etc.brakes will depend on how heavy you and your bike are and how well you adjust them.never mind a shifter kit.its all in the crb and expansion chamber and sprockets.wear knee pads

Last edited: