Why not just buy a motorcycle?

GoldenMotor.com

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Like Deacon I like to be a little more in touch with the world around me when I ride. I can legally ride/pedal it in/on paths designated "Bicycle Only". I get 100 miles to the gallon. At rush hour I can get somewhere sometimes faster than a MC because I can use the bike lanes with the engine off (or just fake pedal) and because the chicks dig it. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Been there and did it. Like a lot of us I too had motorcycles in my younger days. So, I've had my highway fun and thrills and at my age, I don't need 'em now. Then came my introduction to these funny little bikes we all ride and I got mine on the road just days before I went to part time employment, with full time retirement on the near horizon. My two weekdays off are essentially mine to do with what I choose. I have chores and home projects to attend to but I'm able to devote quite a few hours a week to riding my bike. Much has already been said about the advantages and my input will only mirror most of them. So I'll just add that when I ride...I'm relaxed. Ive been driving an 80 mile a day commute for nearly fifteen years, highway speeds, traffic and the associated stress. I have none of that on my MB. I cruise around at 15 or 20MPH, wave at the neighbors and the kids. Stop to watch a guy and his dog play ball in the park. I watch the sunsets and go to the library, all with a stress free state of mind that this simple little vehicle has awarded me.
It's common knowledge that pets, especially dogs are good for the mental and physical wellbeing...I submit that MBs will do the same. At least mine has for me. I've noticed it, my wife has too. I go for a ride...and come home with a smile. Thanks to my motorbike.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i started out wanting a moped, cause they're... well i guess you could say "romantic" (not in a boy/girl way) but an engine on a bike is even more so.
i've thought about getting a motorcycle too, but it seams like it would spoil half the fun, like getting the cheats to a game. i think a shifter kit is plenty of a step up for me.

whosworkinthegrill

Oct 21, 2008
San Clemente, Ca.
I ride a 165hp. motorcycle everyday and its just two different things. The motorized bicycle has its purpose's and when you get your first ride you will be hooked. If you wonder why not just get a Motorcycle then just get both.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I aree with almost all of the above. I have had six motorcycles over the years. Had a great time with them, but now I am hooked on the MB's. The fun of building them, upgradeing them and all the people that stare and flag you over so they can take a look. You gota love it!

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
The only problem is here the traffic and lack of bike lanes. I need to sneak the sidewalk a lot to keep from being squashed. Also need a seat spring post from the bumps.
My motorcycle is my (Lamborghini), but the M.B. has it's own appeal that attracts me to ride it (different) from the motorcycle.
Even though the motorcycle is fast and fancy, the M.B. has it's own attraction, it just begs to be taken out for a quick spin.
The more simple it is, the better I like it.
No big engine, fancy paint, (not even that clean).

Attachments

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
To be honest, that gets a little old after a while. Sometimes when I'm on my way home from work, I just want to get home, and not deal with anybody.:crash:
It doesn't really bother me if someone want's to take a look at the bike. I'm usually not in any big hurry anymore since I retired.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
With the "just don't get it" folks (why not just get a...) If I bother trying to explain it, "Remember the first time you took a cloths pin and a baseball card and stuck it in the spokes?" Some times you see their eyes light up.

The motorcycle/scooter thing does nothing for me. LOL, I just don't get it. But most folks into this are a wee bit different.

I guess it boils down to asking a golfer why not basket ball. Just don't get what another sees as art. Eye of the beholder and all that.

Maybe that is it, and has been said. motorized bicycle riding is a DIY, cheap, functional hobby. But above all a blast to ride/tinker/create.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a motorized bike or two, a scooter, and a road bike, all fulfill different needs so to speak.

Dan your last paragraph says it best.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I have a motorized bike or two, a scooter, and a road bike, all fulfill different needs so to speak.

Dan your last paragraph says it best.
Dan said:
motorized bicycle riding is a DIY, cheap, functional hobby. But above all a blast to ride/tinker/create.
Totally. I don't think my wife would let me tear down a motorcycle and paint it and all that. Well, maybe, if it was a cheaper used one. But not the '08 Ninja250 I'd like to buy....

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
I like that you can ride on the sidewalk, or you can pass 30+ cars at an intersection by using the bike lane.

You can't do that on a motorcycle.