engine and frame question

GoldenMotor.com

Moolicious

Jan 3, 2013
alabama
I have two questions. Bear w/me please I am an uber newbie in this subject and it does not help at all that I'm solely a visual learner.
Ok, first question: is there a way to make the 2 stroke engine quieter?
Second question: what frame is most recommended for a girl?
I'm more of a mountain bike type but open to try others.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
There are several ways to make a motor quieter-

1. Use sound dampeners- they go under the engines outer covers- sometimes even over the motor if there's enought crank clearance- you can get themm from vendors here for about $15 or make them yourself, using the covers themselves as a tracing pattern-

some people use just cardboard- I've used styrofoam-

here's some of my old videos about it:

Installing sound dampeners
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZcD5Cpe2I&list=UUOcL4qNa1PxaUzgfjeERryg&index=3

50cc vs. 66cc sound comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ejWhPVZaY&list=UUOcL4qNa1PxaUzgfjeERryg&index=2

2. You can add length onto the muffler- a long poo poo pipe is a bit quieter than the stock pipe- several other types in between- try Gasbikes

3. You can put on a larger gear (smaller back sprocket i.e. 36 teeth) which makes the motor relatively less quiet and less vibration- because you run at a faster cruising speed at fewer RPM and that can really make a difference

As far as the frame- generally womens frames are harder to motor, so use a man's frame if you can- I like a modern cruiser frame for motor and gas tank clearance- it's a bit laidback so you're not leaning awkwardly too far forward at higher speed- BMX or high rise bars help there too- but a lot of people do use diamond mountain bike frames.

Last edited:
Second question: what frame is most recommended for a girl?
The term "lady's bike" referring to bike with a frame that has a top tube connecting to the seat tube at a low point to give large stand-over clearance is obsolete and non-descriptive. The term "step-through" seems to be taking hold as the successor.
Actually, a male is the one who is in danger of smashing his balls; so, the old gender-oriented terms should have been reversed.

But to address the question, a girl, being generally less able to lift than a guy, should keep an eye on the frame weight when choosing.