Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
This would be my list to look into... Keep in mind that the turning tools nee to fit your tool post but some of the tools themselves look like decent prices.

I would definately check on:
Hardinge 3/8" Carbide Tool Holders 20.00 to 35.00 if it takes triangular inserts and will fit your tool post it would be a nice turning tool.

And these centers are really good deals if the live centers will fit your tail stock. And I cant live with out my bevel protractor.

Royal or Nsk 5MT Live Center 30.00 and 25.00

Starrett Machinist 7" Universal Bevel Protractor, and 2 Others 30.00

Royal or Nsk 5MT Live Center 30.00 and 25.00

Starrett Machinist 7" Universal Bevel Protractor, and 2 Others 30.00

Surface Roughness Tester, Profilometer 275.00

Lathe steady rest 65.00

Mitutoyo No.511 Series, 2.4"-6" & .7"-1.4" dial bore gages 125.

Brown & Sharpe outside Micrometers, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7", $20 Each

Quick Change Tap Holders, Collets, Extensions, Bilz, Kennametal, Carboloy 15.00 to 50.00

Quick-Check Portable Hardness Tester, For Metal 80.00

new Parlec back spot facing tool 100.00

new universal toolflex floating holder 80.00

Jacobs#30 drill chuck MT2 shank

MT 5,4,3,2, reducers adapters 12.00

Assorted Cutoff inserts Iscar 3.00

6" independent 4 jaw chuck 45.00

2 Comptor bore gages 35.00

Assorted Hardinge toolholders

Lathe dogs 25.00 to 50.00

Kennametal 3/4" Right Hand, Solid Carbide Boring bar 75.00, Have other sizes

Starrett surface gage #56 65.00

Federal Testmaster Indicator 20.00

Precision Grinding indexer spinner 75.00

Mitutoyo 2-3" outside mics 50.00

Mitutoyo 0-1" digital outside Mics 50.00

Mitutoyo 0-1" point mics 100.00

VME dial thickness gage 25.00

0-1" Federal Indicating mics 100.00

Mitutoyo 0-1" Uni-mics 75.00

Starrett 711 last word indicator 30.00

DonParker

Jul 6, 2011
Greeley Colorado
Yep it sure does get the brain working overtime.
I think I'm the only one in my neighborhood that
has a lathe and mill. I had a few business cards
made and now if someone needs a part made
here and there they come to me and I make it.
I brings in some extra money as well. I would like
to get a cnc mill someday but they're very pricey.
I was a cnc machinist for 13 years before I got
laid off and did everything from programming to
cycle starting on those things. They are great
for production, speed and repeatability but
I like the manual machines for feeling a real sense
of accomplishment.I guess I want the best of both
worlds.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A couple of days ago I was walking around in my favorite store, Harbor slave, and they had a mini mill. It was about $450. I just might buy one. Even if all you could make were little parts that would still be great. It looked pretty good to me for my purposes.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
there is a wealth of information somewhere.when i think of it i will let you know...
do a search on how to run a lathe,it has great examples for setting up,grinding your tooling and feed and speed charts.
i found era correct info when i was searching info for my 1947 southbend lathe.
its relevant to today as well.
also youtube has some awesome tutorials,search Tubalcain or Mrpete222

he's a school shop teacher,and very knowledgeable.

check out mikesworkshop.weebly.com

anything under home shop machining
and model engine building (minature diesels)

i dont have a lot of advice to offer,but a 1/16" wall bushing may be a challenge,but you could find an oilite bushing in the dimension you need.
it should hold up ok,after the stuff i have seen people use to bush worn clutches/shafts.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Manual machining is tough on tools without proper cooling. Oil and brush will work, but I would suggest investing in a Kool Mist system, which provides an adjustable mix of compressed air and cold liquid of your choice (usually 1 gal cold water jug with 4oz Kool Mist solution). The best model is the Portamist and costs around $80. You can machine almost twice as fast. This thing blows COLD and lets you run cheap high-speed-steel tools that can be bought and sharpened on the cheap (flea markets..., grinder). When sharpening HSS, quench it often before it has a chance to heat up, as it is not good with sudden temperature change.

As far as machines go the next best thing to a CNC is the conversational programming type. It looks like a manual machine, but can be programmed to do a single action, or an entire programmed toolpath in seconds. They are simple to program once you get it, just by answering the parameter values it asks for every move. It is sweet jogging the table back to Zero, just by hitting a button!

I personally enjoy mashing on used high-speed-steel endmills on some scrap stainless steel, trying to take off massive cuts while watching the ends glow orange-hot... Do so at your own risk and wear safety glasses ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hey, howdy Russel. Was wondering where/how ya been. LOL, nope, not a thing and have yet to plug her in. Really did run out of room and started the shop. Even funnier, ran out of summer and time to finish it. Getting tools for the mill/lathe here and there as I go and am excited.

Yesterday, I finished the paper work for a school grant. The intake guy told my not to count on it but that I all but had it. (COOL, COOL, COOL!)
http://www.mcc.commnet.edu/continuing/manufacturing/precision-machining.php

"I needed a $3 bushing, so I bought a $800 end mill. I needed room for the endmill, so I built a $4,000 out building.
I didn't know how to run the end mill, so I went to school.
Then promptly ran out of money, so I took up golf..."

LOL, still needs work. Oddly enough, Carol does not think that is funny.
either.

Wow, I missed a bunch of posts in this thread some how. Sorry. Am in the car on a laptop with no mouse and very cold fingers. Will reread. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate your time.

propellerhead

Oct 27, 2012
Australia
Hey there Dan,

I've still been looking around the forum to see what guys have done with their bikes and working out what and how I'll rig my bike when I came across this post.

I reckon I will have some questions for you re: MB's. By now I'm sure you'll know a few tips and tricks on the lathe. I won't ask about you tying knots... I did my apprenticeship in the RAN (Royal Australian Navy). We were always taught; if you can't tie knots, tie lots!!

Brett.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
lol,propellerhead.
same goes for welding,if you cant weld good,weld lots.
so i couldnt stick weld to save my life,so i forced myself to use the stick,in lieu of mig welding.my stick welding has greatly improved.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, too funny. I was thinking about that phrase this morning for some reason or another.

In the American Merchant Marine, that is said; "If ya can't tie the right knot, tie lots of knots" Another example of being separated by a similar language sort of thing.

Knife="rope wrench" with that approach. snork

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I wasn't in the service but worked at a papper mill and all the new employies had to find a papper strecher,or a bucket of smoth.............Curt

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan how's the mill/lathe projects going? I saw one at harbour freight today and thought about this thread, funny I can't go in there and just get what I go for without getting something else. I went for a mig welder cart that was $30 and ended up spending over $100.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan how's the mill/lathe projects going? I saw one at harbour freight today and thought about this thread, funny I can't go in there and just get what I go for without getting something else. I went for a mig welder cart that was $30 and ended up spending over $100.
Greg, no kidding! I am still buying tools fer the dang tool! So far I have started one asymmetrical sheave but man is it fun. It is so cool to be able to make stuff. (all stock is just chunks of metal waiting to be a part)

LOL, I know exactly what you mean about going in to HF. I go in the door with a coupon for a free flashlight and come out with a bench vise, a welder and a small Chinese conveyor belt apparatus.

Momma Bear makes fun of me for this. I reply with; "You have 3 pairs of black shoes. I need that tap & die set" (I don't but it still trumps 6 shoes of the same color!) snork

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Funny you brought up the shoe thing, my wife once questioned me when buying a set of combination wrenches. She said I know you have at least three sets like this already why do you need more? My reply was these have a different offset than the others, by the look on her face I knew I needed to explain. I said tools are to men like shoes are to women, you can't wear the same shoes with everything and you can't use one wrench set for every job. She said " o" now I understand.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
After being married as long as we have my wife knows I'm a tool guy, she has started saving the HF coupons for me. When we went Saturday she got a bugey also, she bought a couple of things on her sale paper and got a free tape measure. I got the welding cart and another free meter.(I have 7)