29" Genesis Onyx - Help, First Project

GoldenMotor.com

Onyx_Projekt

Feb 29, 2012
Lady Lake, Florida - USA
Hi,
My name is James, and I have a new 29" Genesis "Onyx" and would like to order a gas-powered rig for it. I keep reading that the rims have to sacrificed due to spoke count, and other reasons, but was wondering if there was a way to hook up disc-brakes versus caliper brakes so that I can keep these unique high-profile rims (one of the reasons I picked this bike).
I am TOTALLY open to suggestions for kits, motors, and anything else you guys know about dealing with this particular bike.
Thanks Kindly!
~J~

laff

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Hi,
My name is James, and I have a new 29" Genesis "Onyx" and would like to order a gas-powered rig for it. I keep reading that the rims have to sacrificed due to spoke count, and other reasons, but was wondering if there was a way to hook up disc-brakes versus caliper brakes so that I can keep these unique high-profile rims (one of the reasons I picked this bike).
I am TOTALLY open to suggestions for kits, motors, and anything else you guys know about dealing with this particular bike.
Thanks Kindly!
~J~

laff
First off, welcome to the forum.

Next, look in the Motorized Mountain Bikes section. There are quite a few 29's that guys here have built. I'm sure they can answer your questions.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Here's a link to a build thread based on your bike. This one is for a FD (friction drive) rack mount (engine in the back, atop the rear tire), but there's a lot of good info....

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29901

Go to the Google search at the top and type this in [genesis-onyx] and you get tons of results.

Good luck and make us proud, grasshopper.

MHF

Last edited:

Onyx_Projekt

Feb 29, 2012
Lady Lake, Florida - USA
I want to go gas powered. Electric is a pain in the butt and just seems wussy. Plus I want the aesthetic of a gas-powered cruiser. I like the way it looks with the tank. I don't want to change my wheels, so I need to find out how to work that. This guys built something other than what I had in mind. Still scouring google, but most of these links don't have a straightforward parts list, which is what I'm looking for. I am receiving the money to do this from another source, and that means I'm on their timeframe for when the cash is available. I just need to know what parts to order and then do the learning thing before i start turning wrenches.