Newbie Here looking for a Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
$150 is a tight budget, even for the cheap kits we all use. You'll also have to plan on spending extra to replace some of the shoddy items that come with the kit.

Do you already have a bike? If not, look around at various Goodwill stores until you find a halfway decent bike. I once found a really nice vintage Schwinn with saddlebags, headlight and all, and I was too stupid to buy it on the spot and someone else got it.

I got my kit from rawmotors.com. The 66cc silver slant kit, to be exact. The engine itself has worked great for me so far. Just remember though that no matter where you buy an engine, these chinese motors are considered to be a crapshoot. There's a chance you'll end up with one that you'll need to fix a little bit to get working properly. Some people need to sand down the bottom of the engine head to get it flat enough, so before you install your engine you should remove the head and make sure it sits flat.

Are you sure you need insurance in Maine? It's possible, but I live in California which is generally considered a pretty strict state and no insurance is required for motorized bicycles.

If you think you're gonna look weird on a moped, then chances are you'll look weird on a homemade motorized bicycle. You can either try to accept it or do the best you can to make your bike look really cool.

Try looking through the different sponsors on this site to find the most affordable kit. Then also plan on buying some new fuel line(the one that comes with the kits are crap), and some quik steel in case your gas tank has any leaks.

My only other advice for installing a kit is to bolt your throttle to the handlebar. These kits make you drill a hole in the handlebar so that the cheesy plastic peg in the throttle holds it in place. After a few weeks the peg snapped on my bike and I almost lost control. I've had it bolted in ever since and the throttle works great otherwise.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Thank you for your response.

Generally speaking if it's over 50cc I was saying that I would probably go into complications with the law. I just didn't know what so I was just stating possibilities, all I know there are no restrictions if it's under.

I can do more than $150, but it's my ideal budget. I already have a bike so I'm pretty much just looking for a kit. And just my preference Motorized Bicycles are pretty BA compared to Scooters and Mopeds xD.

Sadly this would be my first time, and I wouldn't know what sites are the safe and reliable ones to use when buying kits.
My only experience with kits are with rawmotors.com. But that was only once, and recently some people's orders got delayed because their inventory shipment was late. At least that's what I think happened.

One of the sponsors on this site is thatsdax.com, who's not only a member of this site but he's proven to be reliable. I've bought parts from him. His kits are a little more expensive though and as far as I know aren't that much better than other kits, but at least he's been around a while it seems.

Many people seem to get their kits off ebay from the seller named boygofast. I don't know much about the quality of his kits, but the advantage to buying on ebay means you'd have a certain amount of scam protection.

However, I have relatively little experience in comparison to some other members here, so you should probably wait for some more people to reply before you make a decision.

I agree with you that motorized bicycles have a certain charm that a lot of mopeds/scooters don't have. The mopeds usually have more power and storage, but depending on what you need, a motorized bicycle might work just fine. The thing I love most about motorized bicycles is how repairable they are. Parts for the bicycle itself are freely available at bike shops everywhere, and there are lots of replacement parts for the engines themselves on the internet. Unlike most scooters which, when run into the ground, aren't really worth repairing or are possible to repair.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've bought all of my China Girl 66cc /80cc kits from BGF and I've had very good results with his stuff, like it has been said many many times......" these kits are a crap shoot no matter where you get them from" you can get a bad apple in just about any store and the same goes with these kits, they're all cheap china made stuff but they work pretty good most of the time with the right tweaking and tuning up after a good break in period.

If you want the best deal and quick shipping without a warranty BGF is the way to go.

If you want the best warranty of any vendor I know, you dont mind paying a bit extrs for the peace of mind and great customer service go with Thats Dax/ bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor Duane is a great fella who always takes good care of his customers.

just depends on what someone wants.......

Best wishes on what ever you decide to do.

Peace, map

Last edited:

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
$150 is tight. I think that I have more than $650 into mine and I only paid $50 for the bike. Granted that I also installed a jack shaft shift kit, but that still only adds up to $450 for the engine kit, shift kit and bike. So at that rate, if you already have the bike and you aren't installing a jack shaft kit then you could safely figure $350 by the time you are all said and done. You could either try to find a kit with upgraded accessories (throttle and what-not) or you could just buy a motor and then buy the better quality accessories. That way you aren't buying them twice (once with the kit and a second time when the cheap parts that came with the kit break). My advise on accessories is to get the NT carb not the CNS carb. I have the CNS carb and it works well when tuned correctly, but it can be a real bear to tune. Just plan on upgrading the spark plug and spark plug wire. The stock plug boot on my wire was really cheap plastic and it broke right away. The good quality plug wires do not work with the cheap plugs and vise-versa. So if you upgrade one you have to upgrade the other. It is worth it though. As said many times before, upgrade all the bolts and hardware. The ones with the kit are junk. However, it is often times the same amount of money to buy a kit as it is to just buy a motor. Check you bike frame dimensions as well. You may have to buy stuff to make the engine fit. The adapters for different tube sizes are usually only $15 or so, but it all adds up. You could probably also find good deals on new parts from people here. For instance, since I installed a jack shaft kit right away, I now have a new rear sprocket, chain guard, chain tensioner, and hub that I will never use.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
You can get it done on a small budget, it'll be very hard, but doable.

Get a 49cc kit, don't go to gasbikes or any of their people. They are too much trouble to deal with. most of the kits on here are almost the same stuff. Chinese pieces of poopie. It's going to be hard to get a very good very reliable engine kit for under 150. So, you want to buy from somewhere that will stand behind their product, and give you peace of mind. I got my kit from Pistonbikes, and they sent it out same day. Call them, talk to them. Tell them what kind of bike you have, and get suggestions from them. If, and only if, you feel comfortable, go ahead and buy.
You will have to instal everything yourself. I am a jet mechanic for the Navy (I used to be stationed in Brunswick), and I still had some trouble. Not like there was anything very bad, just the clutch gave me issues. And so did the rear sprocket and the carb. But, nothing too bad. After that, I had a great time making sure everything was on tight, and I enjoy every second of the ride. Try out Pistonbikes, That's dax and a couple of other places. keep away from anyone you can't talk to directly... get their names, and develop a relationship with them. If anything goes wrong with your build, you can just call them and talk to them, and they will probably go the extra mile to help you out.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
That's a tight but workable budget.. It'd cover the cost of a 66cc, not sure about the shipping fees though. You may want to go with a 49cc instead. A little less power, but it'll leave a bit more of your budget available for the odds and ends you'll discover you need during the assembly stage.

Hacksawdecap

Jul 20, 2011
Phoenix
I bought my kit from KingsMotorBikes.net yeah, I've heard they have some ****ty reviews and what not but the price was great. The kit is pretty cheap but It's not like I'm riding up mountains. The motor had a stuck clutch and the spark plug was bad so I just used the extra sparkplug they gave me in the kit. I spend 120 dollars for my MB but I already had a bike for years.

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
Ya, $150 is do-able if you already have a bike and you don't upgrade/replace anything. If you get lucky you may go a while before something breaks and needs replaced. However, I wouldn't count on everything working perfectly right out of the box.