Worksman PAV lost in the hills of GA

GoldenMotor.com

dwlynch

Jun 20, 2010
Rossville, GA
Hello from beautiful North Georgia. How far north? If I was any farther north I'd be in TN. My dear wife bought me a Worksman pav3 so that I and the dogs could get exercise. Unfortunately, she bought it with the Wilderness Energy system that worksman sells and it will not pull my big butt (even with pedaling) up the 500 ft 18 percent grade to home. What? You thought GA was flat? The county seat here is known as the queen city of the highlands. We are returning the electric system and I figure a gas motor should have the torque.

Anyone tried this? Is there a kit? Oh, the pav3 is a lowrider trike with a 3 speed rear hub. Just the right height for going slow and staying upright with the dogs.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WELCOME! I always loved the triyc's
I don't think there is a kit just for your bike,but they are universal and should find a way to fit. Go down and check out : Motorized Tricycles and Recumbents : You should find something there to help. Any one in your neiborhood with a little mechincal skills that can weld should be able to help also

dwlynch

Jun 20, 2010
Rossville, GA
There are steeper ones than that in the neighborhood. I figure to gear it just for hillclimbing, not for running the engine all the time. Have to find a way to add more braking also, you have to go downgrade first :)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You may be able to up your voltage by 12 volts with a bigger controller and another battery. if you want to do that, you should start a new thread, asking about overvolting the Wilderness Energy kit listing the original volts and amphours of your system.
Some brands of motors will respond well with a 12 volt overvolt and some will overheat.
With a motor rated at 500w, you may be able to overvolt it without damage.

I still have some kin in Jasper & Dawsonville.

dwlynch

Jun 20, 2010
Rossville, GA
At this point returning it to Worksman. The torque isn't there. Joshua from evsolutions had a couple of ideas for motors with 2 to 3 times the ft lbs of torque. Stanton has a kit but I'm hesitant to believe that a 35cc engine is gonna power me up the hill. I figure somewhere between 200 and 250 cc should be about right.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Unless you need the step thru design I don't think anything looks better then a cruiser frame sitting on one of Spooky Tooth's trike conversions. Toss in a 66cc motor, shift kit, 7 speed hub and you should have all the power you need.

dwlynch

Jun 20, 2010
Rossville, GA
I'm back. Front wheel and electrics have been returned to worksman, waiting for them to get me the regular one with the brake - two week wait so far, with 3 phone calls. Been on the phone with Dave Staton - he has designed a two speed ( one for hillclimbing, one for cruising) that I have on order with a Honda 50cc. Will let you know how this installs and turns out.

dwlynch

Jun 20, 2010
Rossville, GA
OK. It works fine. The worksman pav is NOT built using jigs. It seems every frame is different. Staton agreed after he put 4 engine setups on 4 pavs. All different.