Fuel tank mounts too small, suggestions?

GoldenMotor.com

Stratman

Jun 12, 2010
Orlando, FL
Was hoping some of you experienced builders would have suggestion for a solution on my fuel tank mounting issue.

I have a Micargi Rover GX, and standard Grubee 49cc engine kit. The fuel tank mounting studs are too short for the accompanying mounting brackets, or the brackets are not deep enough to fit the studs, either way. This fuel tank mount setup was obviously designed for a bike with a much small OD top tube.

Is there a mounting kit that I can buy that will fix this? Or do I need to custom fabricate something to make this work?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Wow, those studs are pretty small compared to the one on mine. I've attached an image, and I'll try and explain it. The big black oval is your tank, and the two lines comign from it are the studs, red bar is your bike. Those 2 grey lines are pieces of steel.

The piece of steel will have 4 holes, 2 for the studs, and then 2 for a Ubolt. So attack the pieces of steel to the tank, sit it on the bike, then get your Ubolts and attach them.

I will draw some more pictures if you need me to clarify (I failed at art by the way lol)

Attachments

Stratman

Jun 12, 2010
Orlando, FL
I know, I thought the same thing about the studs, that must have been what was left of the threaded rod, and they didn't want to waste it. You have to love Chinese inconsistency!

I think I understand what you are describing and drawing. Piece of steel mounts to the front and back studs on each side. Nut on each side of the steel pieces onto the studs. Then the additional holes are used to mount U-Bolts up through the plate and around the bottom the top tube and secured against the steel pieces.

Is that about right?

I have a customer that is a genius with a welder. My other thought was to have him cut the studs and weld longer studs onto the tank. I don't know jack about welding, so not sure if it's doable or not, considering the thickness of the fuel tank.

Stratman

Jun 12, 2010
Orlando, FL
It seems to be a better mount, and protects the frame if I line the underside of the fuel tank with bike tire inner tube.

Are there any potential negatives that I may not be thinking of here?

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
put your lower clamp upside down on the top of the bar.Put a pop rivit in each one and put your tank back on.You will also have room if you have a break cable on the top.